Model Cars Magazine Forum

Couple Of Deloreans

bandit.93

These are a couple Deloreans I built a few months ago. They came as a part of a three pack of Back to the Future Deloreans I won off of Ebay. I built 2 of them and gave the other one to my brother-in-law who is a delorean fanatic. I made one as the Delorean from BTTF 1 and the other i converted from a curbside into sortof full detail with a ferrari flat-12 from a tesstarossa and Z06 wheels, brakes, and exhaust tips.

Leave your thoughts/comments/suggestions

thanks

Delorean005.jpg

Delorean006.jpg

Delorean007.jpg

Delorean008.jpg

Delorean001.jpg

Delorean002.jpg

Delorean003.jpg

Delorean004.jpg

cody i have those same kits in my collection along with the very nice snap kit from polar lights. the only thing i would suggest is the lower cladding below the door line on the 1/1 cars was a satin or semi gloss black, ditto for the strip that ran along the side and cut through the door. on the 1/1 cars the front and rear fascias were a darker silver color, I used STEEL for my fascias. the 'stock' delorean is pretty darn slick. i remember when the original issue of the single kit which was actually from a japan company repackaged with english instructions for us. I like how the part II car has a folding wheel mechanism that is very close to the real time machines (on the real car they pushed away from the body and then rotated down, just like the model kit). In japan they offered a 4th version called the part III version B. it was the same as the one with the train wheels but it had the 50s wheels and a little figure of Marty in his cowboy outfit in the pose from the movie poster that had to be glued and painted. it is good to see one of my all time favorite movie and tv car on this site (check my avatar B) ). I also have an old Testors 48 ford drop top that has the parts that let you build it as 47 or a 46. I am doing mine as a 46 same year as Biff's ;).

Edited by Dave McFly

Guest roadkill2525

0 to 88mph in 1.21 gigawatts.

I like the movie version, the custom sits a little high but I like the Ferrari engine in it. Good work.

Edited by roadkill2525

cody i have those same kits in my collection along with the very nice snap kit from polar lights. the only thing i would suggest is the lower cladding below the door line on the 1/1 cars was a satin or semi gloss black, ditto for the strip that ran along the side and cut through the door. on the 1/1 cars the front and rear fascias were a darker silver color, I used STEEL for my fascias. the 'stock' delorean is pretty darn slick. i remember when the original issue of the single kit which was actually from a japan company repackaged with english instructions for us. I like how the part II car has a folding wheel mechanism that is very close to the real time machines (on the real car they pushed away from the body and then rotated down, just like the model kit). In japan they offered a 4th version called the part III version B. it was the same as the one with the train wheels but it had the 50s wheels and a little figure of Marty in his cowboy outfit in the pose from the movie poster that had to be glued and painted. it is good to see one of my all time favorite movie and tv car on this site (check my avatar :lol: ). I also have an old Testors 48 ford drop top that has the parts that let you build it as 47 or a 46. I am doing mine as a 46 same year as Biff's ;).

thanks,

i would like to see your deloreans and how you did them. i didnt have any steel paint to use on the front fascia. something funny is that when me and my grandpa were watchin the 2nd movie on tv he said that the 46 ford in the tunnel scene didnt sound like an actual 46 ford which was wierd.

true story in part I when marty is being chased by biff and his gang on the home made skateboard you see that his car switches from a 46 to a 48 :). on a 46 ford the turn signals are on the hood on both sides of the hood ornament. on a 48 they are bigger, circular and are mounted below the headlights. so in some shots if you see the signals change you know there were 2 different cars in that scene. I originally planed on using the EXCELLENT Pro Modeler 48 ford kit and modify it into a 46 but i am not THAT good. so i found a nice mint testors 48 ford on ebay and i like that it has things like opening doors and stuff. I do not have photos of my Deloreans as i did not have a way to put my pictures on my computer and the photos were lost years ago. I have NOT yet built any of the 3 i have now or the polar lights car. if you ever want any tips on future delorean models hit me up via PM or Email or one of the I M programs i use, they should be in my profile ;).

As Doc would say,

"The way I see it, if your gonna build a time machine out of a car, why not do it with some style!"

;)

Edited by Dave McFly

where you get the stock delorean

I am sure he just converted the time machine into stock. it is not really THAT hard just sand down the 'cables' that ran along the bottom sides between the wheel wells. then fill in the mounting holes on the body for the coils. and then make a new rear engine cover for the back. as for the interior, that may be a little tough cause of the 'time circuit control panel' :).

I am sure he just converted the time machine into stock. it is not really THAT hard just sand down the 'cables' that ran along the bottom sides between the wheel wells. then fill in the mounting holes on the body for the coils. and then make a new rear engine cover for the back. as for the interior, that may be a little tough cause of the 'time circuit control panel' :D.

that is exactly what i did. i sanded down all the cables and bondoed all of it to make sure it was smooth. that back pannel took many test fits to make sure it was just right and the side window on the back i just made a template and cut it out of some clear plastic

When AMT first issued the kits back in 89 (my god has it been that long? thing's have certainly changed around here. i remember when there was AMT models as far as the eye could see :lol: ), there was a resin conversion kit that turned the part II car into a stock Delorean. it came with the body shell, rear panel cover, rear side 'glass' and a stock dashboard. the AMT kit provided the rest. the only downside is it used the time machine's chassis which has the stuff for the hover conversion :P. I am a huge Delorean fan, along with the 4 model kits i have, i also have 3 1/24 or 1/25 scale diecast models of the cars from all 3 movies (part III car only had the 50s wheels) which have opening gull wing doors. they are made by a company called Welly, and are very nice and have the Delorean scripts on the back bumper, and the 'DMC' logo on the grille (something the polar lights car is missing due to not having the rights to the 'Delorean' name B) ). I highly recommend them you can usually get them on ebay cheap, i paid like 20 bucks for all 3 with shipping, and they do make a STOCK Delorean as well :D.

1dooropen.jpg

:lol:

EDIT: more info, reviews and pictures of the Welly car can be found HERE!

:D

Edited by Dave McFly

I have a bunch of close-up pictures of a 1:1 DeLorean that I took recently if anyone needs them; the owner was kind enough to let me take pictures as it was being loaded up on a flatbed. Email me if interested. Here's one of them...

dmcsampleao3.jpg

Edited by Tonioseven