Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Impala Convertible & El Camino Convertible

Ron35369

This is what I called "His & Hers" 59's. I was messing around one night at the local body shop where a friend was manager. I was mixing some paint for use on my models & I started mixing some different blues & pearls & I ended up with this turquoise color that I thought had a 50's look to it. I used it on both the Impala & El Camino. I customized the El Camino with parts from another Impala kit & also relieved the body of it's roof for a custom Elky convertible. Here are the photos of both. I hope you enjoy.

DSCN1548.jpg

DSCN1547.jpg

DSCN1551.jpg

DSCN1546.jpg

and the El Camino:

DSCN1488.jpg

DSCN1491.jpg

You're correct James. I used whatever I could get to fit from the Monogram Impala convertible to the AMT El Camino. I used the windshield frame & glass, both bumpers, the chassis & engine, the interior, the fender ornaments & front eyebrows & even the tires & wheels.

On my monitor, the colour that you used is very close to the original Crown Sapphire that was used in '59. I am a bit biased here because to me, the ultimate automobile is the '59 Chevrolet with my first choice being the Impala convertible, followed closely by the Sport Coupe and the El Camino. I have all three in 1:1 and one of my El Camino's is Crown Sapphire and my Sport Coupe ( which is a total project ) was originally Crown Sapphire with an aqua interior. Crown Sapphire is to me, the perfect colour for the hardtop, El Camino and station wagon while I prefer the convertibles in Snowcrest White.

Your builds are beautiful and do the '59 due justice!! Very nicely done and I am sure that I am not alone when I say that more pictures would really be appreciated. Your builds are among the nicest '59 build ups that I have seen. Well done!!AAAA++++