Model Cars Magazine Forum

31 ford model A 2n1

captin

Cheers! Btw, did all the recent releases of the '31 A have these, and were these same optional wheels that come with the '29 A pickup?

No the '29 has the same rather blah 5 spoke Americans it's always had. They make decent fronts for gassers, very little offset. They look decent stripped and painted like unpolished mags. They've got a few sink marks and waviness in them that show up pretty bad in chrome. I think the Modelhaus offers a copy of original issue wheels that don't suffer from the waves and sink marks. I think they call them 0 offset 5-spokes in their catalog.

I think all the recent '31's have had those mags, but not all will work with the newer tooling big and little white-wall "rat-rod" tire set. At least one issue had a different front tire to use with the mags. I think they had to modify the front wheels' diameter a little and modify the wheel backs. They did something to them, now they're a straight drop-fit, other issues you had to do a little grinding and modifying to get them to work with the rat rod issue tires.

Edited by Brett Barrow

I think all the recent '31's have had those mags, but not all will work with the newer tooling big and little white-wall "rat-rod" tire set. At least one issue had a different front tire to use with the mags. I think they had to modify the front wheels' diameter a little and modify the wheel backs. They did something to them, now they're a straight drop-fit, other issues you had to do a little grinding and modifying to get them to work with the rat rod issue tires.

Cheers for the info - very much appreciated! I'm still slightly confused though as the instructions on Revell's website for the latest version show the different front tyres (& thus without whitewalls) which is strange if they've updated the kit so that the mags fit the whitewalls, or are the other (smaller) tyres supplied purely to change the front ride height for that building option?

You know what, I'm wrong, they didn't change them on the 31, just the 29 pickup. Sorry! I could have sworn the one box top model had whitewalls with the mags, but looking at it again it's got the small radials up front. The front mags in the 31 are quite a bit smaller than the rears, looks like they'd fall right through the whitewalls. Maybe with 2 pairs of rears you could make something work. Sorry again, I was wrong.

• 4 years later...
On 2/16/2013 at 6:52 PM, Casey said:

6dae4f7c-3ef1-4616-bffb-10568a627c87.jpg

Were these Halibrand wheels originally part of the Revell Drag Racing Wheels parts pack, pictured in the bottom right corner below?

revcustomwhlsPP.jpg

And the American wheels in row two, too?

Edited by Casey

Another long running version of the kit is the Mother's Cherry Pie, H1323, from the Seventies:

25828527968_e5811d98fd_b.jpg

It contains the same incorrect Sedan Delivery body as all the other Sedan Delivery issues and lacks the stock wheels.
But it does include a neat Riley Two Port setup, that may or may not be included in the other versions:

25828526558_df9fce7704_b.jpg

To the best of my knowledge, the Riley Two-Port engine option has been included in all versions/releases of this kit tool. 

If anyone reading this is unfamiliar with this engine, the lead article in the current issue of the other model car magazine shows the engine in component as well as completed form.  

TIM 

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

"It contains the same incorrect Sedan Delivery body as all the other Sedan Delivery issues"

What;s incorrect ?:huh:

What's incorrect is the Model A Sedan Delivery isn't simply a sedan with a rear door and blanked out windows. It is a completely different and longer body.

image.png.8c516b11208f87e109a2731c0ea40a4a.png

image.png.e9c6d74eccd19ea631e8628662c14bbd.png

Edited by Dave Darby

32 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

What's incorrect is the Model A Sedan Delivery isn't simply a sedan with a rear door and blanked out windows. It is a completely different and longer body.

In Revell's defense, they chose "Sedan Delivery", probably knowing full well there was no such thing in the 1931 Ford lineup, and simply adding close-out panels to the existing 55-B Tudor Sedan kit to gain a "new" Sedan Delivery kit. Factoring this is a pure Street Rod, I don't think it's a huge sin on Revell's part.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

In Revell's defense, they chose "Sedan Delivery", probably knowing full well there was no such thing in the 1931 Ford lineup, and simply adding close-out panels to the existing 55-B Tudor Sedan kit to gain a "new" Sedan Delivery kit. Factoring this is a pure Street Rod, I don't think it's a huge sin on Revell's part.

Absolutely. And honestly it's better looking than an actual Sedan Delivery. To my eyes at least.

Edited by Dave Darby

Door alignment is a massive issue with this kit!  ( and that's if they're straight and not warped all over the place!)  The only one I ever finished I tweaked a bit by filing a square notch into the back edge of the sunvisor ( which is moulded as part of the roof)  This then allows the cowl to stand up vertically and gives you a fighting chance of getting the doors lined up.  The tweak is not horribly noticeable and makes a big difference.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton
spelling

2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Hey, look what wheels showed up on the 2018 AMBR winner

Image result for 2018 america's most beautiful roadster

That is really nice.  I'm okay with the trend to restraint in AMBR winners, but the previous couple of winners were maybe a little too restrained.  This has just enough glitter to give it interest without overdoing it.

• 1 year later...
On 1/14/2018 at 12:51 AM, Casey said:

Were these Halibrand wheels originally part of the Revell Drag Racing Wheels parts pack, pictured in the bottom right corner below?

revcustomwhlsPP.jpg

And the American wheels in row two, too?

No, Casey. These Halibrands are the same style wheels but very different in size from what comes in the '31 Model A sedan kit. All four of the wheels in C1147 are much deeper and fit Revell's wide M&H Racemaster piecrust slick. I like these wheels a lot, and I'm pretty sure Revell only ever included them in C1147. The very original issue of Revell's everything-opens '56 Chevy included two of this basic style wheel too, but they are are much narrower and (from memory) fit the skinny M&H piecrust slicks (the ones on the back of the Beatnik Bandit). They aren't exactly the same as the wheels in the '31 kit, but are pretty close.

9 hours ago, Don Sikora II said:

The very original issue of Revell's everything-opens '56 Chevy included two of this basic style wheel too, but they are are much narrower and (from memory) fit the skinny M&H piecrust slicks (the ones on the back of the Beatnik Bandit). They aren't exactly the same as the wheels in the '31 kit, but are pretty close.

Thanks for the info, Don. There they are in the Revell '56 chevy kit:

Revell-56-1956-Chevy-Bel-Air-Coupe-1-25-_57.jpg.2274389d9260009c501ea1c211b2dd96.jpg

Revell-56-1956-Chevy-Bel-Air-Coupe-1-25.jpg.48ac51ae22a4232f320575b8285f110f.jpg