Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Chevy Bel Air "Speedster" ALL WHEEL DRIVE NORTHSTAR pics UPDATE (8-10-2014)

Kennyboy

• 1 month later...

I have been trying to get back on this lately.....I was having a big mental block on the chassis. All wheel drive was not going to work on a '57 chassis and the engine just would not fit transversely. :angry:

I ended up (with discussions with other individuals) going with a custom Ferrari chassis pan. The front of the pan is from the Testarossa and the rear section(s) is/are from the F40. The rear differential is from the Shelby Series 1 as originally discussed, the front engine cradle frame (not pictured) is from some R35 GTR parts I had in the parts box. I ended up cutting in the "window" for the rear differential so it would not be covered up in the end result.....the engine/trans will have a similar treatment. Also, because of the ODD shaped fenderwells on the front and rear of the '57 I had to do some custom inner fenders which took some time to do being they were going to have to resemble a prism effect to fit properly.

This is what I came up with so far......sorry for the long hiatus!

P1030076_zps6e0e2fec.jpg

P1030078_zps4677e21b.jpg

P1030077_zps253e1d66.jpg

P1030079_zps4deb2e03.jpg

P1030081_zpsd079fd68.jpg

P1030083_zps42cae332.jpg

Way kool, it's always good to pick someone elses brain eh???

Thanks for the help Kerry! :D

Glad you're back on this... I was wondering what happened with this... Nice work, and that engine looks great

Thank you James! Summer is usually a slow build time due to outdoor "projects".

Have you considered flipping one of those tonneau covers around, modified as needed, to create a dash that would mirror the back view, thus creating a wraparound/ cockpit environment. I'd also put a generous radius on the doors' lower corners - lots of swoopy lines here now!

Just spitballin' here; thinking out loud with a keyboard! This is looking so cool so far.post-8480-0-50104200-1407718425_thumb.jp

Thank you so much for the kind words guys! Sorry I havent had any updates until now (Summer time is a little rough for build time.)

Been working pretty hard (when I can) on the engine for this build......the Northstar Supercharged! Going to wire up the engine, do fuel rails and injectors, and wiring harnesses. The belt and pullies are from a Printer I stole parts from. :D

014_zpsb96d59a6.jpg

018_zps7101e3c4.jpg

021_zpsf4269ee9.jpg

022_zps5c16715f.jpg

026_zpsb25e6cc0.jpg

I just came across this build. I don't know how I missed it. Great work! Belts and pulleys from a printer... Outstanding idea. I have an old printer in my garage that I'm going to dismantle this evening. Who knows what I might find.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...