Model Cars Magazine Forum

Time for AMT / Round @ to get going ?

I read somewhere, maybe on the spotlight hobbies board, that AMT was going to reissue this. Its been at least a couple of years though. I've gotten enough parts off ebay to build this, in fact the custom wheels should be here this week. But I'd sure love to build it from fresh new styrene!

Other than for nostalgia, I don-- oh, it's only because of nostalgia? Carry on then...

Seriously, though, the AMT '40 Willys is rather crude, non? I know the newer Revell '41 Willys is a bit less detailed and more specific, but the Revell '32 Sedan surely trumps almost all of what the AMT '32 Sedan would have to offer. Oh, I see it now, Greg is dead set on building that Beach Boys cover car. :P;)

The sedan...maybe. But, Revell has literally flooded the market with the '41 Willys already. I couldn't see that '40 Willys doing very well at all. Even if they kept it with the '32 sedan, the price for both would put a lot of people off IMO.

The sedan...maybe. But, Revell has literally flooded the market with the '41 Willys already. I couldn't see that '40 Willys doing very well at all. Even if they kept it with the '32 sedan, the price for both would put a lot of people off IMO.

This isn't about the willies. Should of made that more clear ?

The headers might be an issue, the custom 32 having 4 pipes, and the Beach boys having 3. The grille shells are substantially different, but the custom grill from Lindbergs 34 pickup would work. Modelhuas or Norm Vebber would have the wheels and tires. This could be do-able! BTWTM, imagine if Revell released this totally accurate. Wonder how much Brian Wilson and the crew would want for licensing?

With all the hoopla on the new Revell Rat Roaster '32 Round 2 could get in on the party.

de3c_9b12.jpg?c=d935

Regretably, I don't think we will see this one reissued, ever. I think the '32 tool (other than the sedan body shell) is long gone.

BUT for those of you, who like me, have fond memories of the '32 Sedan Custom, there will be an article revisiting this kit in a future issue of MC, and it may be the next issue....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

The headers might be an issue, the custom 32 having 4 pipes, and the Beach boys having 3. The grille shells are substantially different, but the custom grill from Lindbergs 34 pickup would work. Modelhuas or Norm Vebber would have the wheels and tires. This could be do-able! BTWTM, imagine if Revell released this totally accurate. Wonder how much Brian Wilson and the crew would want for licensing?

Actually, Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys would have nothing to do with licensing a kit of this car, unless it was referred to as the "Little Deuce Coupe" ~~~ which would actually be a misnomer. The car depicted on the album cover was not named "Little Deuce Coupe."

It was built and owned by Clarence "Chili" Catallo (the person who autographed Greg Myers' picture). It was photographed by and published in Hot Rod Magazine. In fact, the cover of Hot Rod's July 1961 was a photo of the car with Chili wearing a red jacket and posed over the engine.

When Capitol Records was preparing to release the Little Deuce Coupe album in October 1963, they asked Hot Rod Magazine to provide a suitable picture of a '32 Coupe for the album jacket. Hot Rod selected the Catallo photo from their photo shoot two years earlier, it was used on the album, and the rest is history.

So, licensing would come from the Catallo family (who still owns the car, which has been restored) and Hot Rod Magazine, if the famous photos of Chili and the car were used as box art.

But licensing would not need to involve the Beach Boys. Unless Revell wanted to call it the "Little Deuce Coupe" kit. The name of the song would be licensed by the music publishing company that owns the rights to the song, and probably Capitol Records, as well.

But that would be totally unnecessary. There's not much doubt that a kit would not have to use the "Little Deuce Coupe" reference to sell the beejeezsus out of itself! Just license it from the Catallos and show a blue one on the box. SOLD!

PS: One of the mints did a 1/24 die cast of this car a few years ago. It was drop-dead spectacular!! They referenced it as "The Little Deuce Coupe" and I think they had to pay everybody!

I read somewhere, maybe on the spotlight hobbies board, that AMT was going to reissue this. Its been at least a couple of years though. I've gotten enough parts off ebay to build this, in fact the custom wheels should be here this week. But I'd sure love to build it from fresh new styrene!

Round2 mentioned the '32 sedan on the Spotlight board a couple of years ago. They were gauging interest in the kit should it ever become a re-issue candidate.

There was NO implication that any of the lost tooling had been discovered, nor did they mention ANY plans for a re-issue.

Rest assured, if they found this one they would love to bring it back, but that's a huge "IF"

Regretably, I don't think we will see this one reissued, ever. I think the '32 tool (other than the sedan body shell) is long gone.

BUT for those of you, who like me, have fond memories of the '32 Sedan Custom, there will be an article revisiting this kit in a future issue of MC, and it may be the next issue....TIM

It's coming in the January issue.

That will arrive in March....... maybe

I don't care when it arrives.

As long as it gets here after the December 2012 issue and before I'm ten-toes-up.

Whenever it gets here, it's new.

Whenever it gets here, I haven't already seen it yet.

I have plenty to do until it gets here.

It's not like that's the ONLY thing on my agenda in life .... "What for next issue arrives." "Hold breath until next issue arrives."

Chill, guys.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

And, it's all small stuff!

After you're 10-7 ... or ten-toes-up ... or pushing up daisies ... you won't even think about this anymore.

Personally, I'd like to see that AMT Model A Tudor get re-issued.

I love Model As. Were it not for the mechanical brakes, I'd seriously drive one every day in the nice weather. A lot of members of the Minuteman Model A Club do exactly that. It's always so nice to see them on cruise- 20-30 Model As in a line in all most body styles and colors.

Charlie Larkin