Model Cars Magazine Forum

'Close Contact' Street Scene Diorama (WIP)

tiking

Thanks guys. I hope to have it completely done by the end of this month, only if everything goes as planned. I have re - arranged the scen yet again. I am also in the process of working on the usmc figures.

Nice work Charles. I have used packaging material and coated it with a grout mixture to create similar textures. Recycling is a good thing ! Looking forward to seeing this completed. Keep on keeping on !!

Thanks Jim. Still more to be done on it though. The usmc figures. More detail on the diorama. Cables, etc... the scene has already been changed again since these photos were taken. Not a huge difference but detail wise and arrangement is a little different.

Edited by tiking

I have been working on the figures for some weeks now, on and off, when the time permits. It has not been easy as I have re-done camo paints many times over. I now have immense respect for figure builders. It is the most difficult form of modeling that I know of. Getting the right skin tone is still an issue for me, as well camo painting. But I will get there one way or the other. It will take time. I have read many articles and continue to study the different variations one can achieve. But I am not going to compete with figure builders just as long my figures do not look like a 3rd grader as painted them, I am fine.

So here is the results of my attempts at getting this camo painting job to look right. So far I am OK with the results after several weeks of trying to get it right. I still have four more USMC figures to do. More sweat and tears but the battle continues... I still have more details to add to the actual diorama.

kneeling_usmc2_zpsae7ef741.jpg

fourth_usmc_zpsa291a69d.jpg

blast_usmc_zps914e75d2.jpg

kneeling_usmc_zpsf11fc6fe.jpg

--------------------------

blast_usmc_head_zps009f822d.jpg

blast_usmc2_zpsbb8af7c6.jpg

blast_usmc3_zps24fa7c8f.jpg

blast_usmc4_zpsa8712c40.jpg

molles_zpsb1d36903.jpg

Nice job and very original theme as well.I particularly like the layering of your different materials such as exposed brick behind broken away stucco and the pot holes in the street.Colors are right on the money.Thanks for sharing with us!

Sometimes not having a big budget to use ready made detail parts is what drives to get creative and make our own.

ooh whouw .. incredible . lost for words here that building and street are just too good ... whouw

I know! This guy's work is so good, and yet the pics present it in such a way, that he makes it look simple.

Richard, I feel the same way about your work, and have told you as much in the past. I see what you guys do, and I just sit in amazement. I know that practice makes perfect, but I seem to struggle to get a vision to turn out the way I like without messing up the layer before etc. And where this guy posted his work with the manhole and grate, and just the staining, and then the next layer and next, until you get wast looks so very real..well, it is a pleasure to see this kind of work come together.

I have to tell you that I am both in awe, and a bit envious of how some modelers such as yourself have the ability to "see" something and make it happen, like how realistis the weathering is, the manhole, etc, and yet it seems to come together so very easily for you. Very nice indeed, very nice.

Thank you for the really nice words. Like you I have been afraid but I got the calling. :) This was my first time working with this material and if I can get results like this so can you. Also, natural lighting is the best to achieve realistic photos. Nothing beat it.

ooh whouw .. incredible . lost for words here that building and street are just too good ... whouw

you are too kind. Thanks for the support and comments.