Model Cars Magazine Forum

musically inspired

SlotDaddy1963

After following Doctor Cranky and C.T. Speedshop in their "Blues Rat" build and after buying the Revell Stacy David '32 roadster, with it's guitar, I decided to try a little styrene carving and after a couple of re-tries... I'll probably try casting these just before I get to the point of actually stringing them. Several more are planned along with a drum kit.

mystrat01copy.jpg

mystrat02copy.jpg

myflattop02copy.jpg

myflattop01copy.jpg

I was wondering if this stuff would sell cast in resin with photoetched strings and hardware... just a thought

Well, I broke off the headstock of the stratocaster and I think I've devised a different plan of action. I'm laying out the designs in Adobe illustrator and I'll have them rough-cut from 1/8 inch PVC at a local trophy and engraving shop. Then I'll finish shaping them by hand. Hopefull, I'll have the artwork ready by this weekend and they said their turn-around is about a week.

The trophy shop will cut these from the same type of material that those pin-back name tags are engraved from. And the have an adhesive-backed rigid PVC that is less than 1/32 thick so I'll have the fret boards, pick-ups and pick guards done in this material and apply them to the finished guitar bodies before casting. If that works out, then great but if it fails I still have the ready artwork to have the hardware photo-etched from.

Thanks for looking...

Chuck

Edited by SlotDaddy1963

Thursday, I took the file to the trophy guy and he called me on Friday morning to clarify a couple of things. $25.00 for materials and set-up... There is a Stratocaster, a Les Paul ( each with a hard case) and an acoustic (hollow, 3-piece body) being cut early this week!

I'm pretty excited about these and already working on the next batch of designs: a Fender Telecaster, a Jazz bass and a Precision bass, a Rickenbacker bass, a Gibson SG, Explorer and an ES-355. Before I get too much time into the, I'll have to see if the laser cut stuff will work okay.

Thanks for looking, and I'll keep y'all posted

Chuck

Hi guys,

Trophy guy called Tuesday morning and I picked up my stuff... The bodies were cut from 1/8 inch PVC ( The stuff that plastic name tags are made of ) and it's pretty dang thick. so instead of laminating pieces to get to scale thickness, I'm carving down to get there. Which is fine for me but It also means I wasted the cost of having two piece bodies made.

Some of the smaller details were just too dang SMALL. The Marshall logos for my upcoming amps turned out good but the tuning keys for the LP didn't work out at all. I really think photo-etching will be the way to go with these details. Also, the holes I had designed into the bodies for "strings" didn't bore at all...

ANYWAY......... I started shaping the Les Paul and the Strat and THEN I remembered that I wanted to post pics "Straight out of the bag"

b35c30e1-3cfe-4600-a8fa-f2c3889f366c.jpg

1d1979f3-710b-434d-972a-c9dc563f4682.jpg

9ed8cbb1-df9c-481e-a99a-b246cc995258.jpg

51d7a130-f9b0-411b-a27f-d3aa1520fd5d.jpg

Edited by SlotDaddy1963

Thanks, Buzz

But wait a minute, they ain't in resin yet :D

I'm pleased with how they're going but I have a couple of decisions to make. While I like the look of the detail pieces, I'm not sure if they're really smooth enough to cast in place. As it cut, the laser left a grooved surface on these pieces that I don't really like. I mean it will work fine for me but would the average customer like them?

I don't know where to turn to have a small run of these photo-etched. While casting these body and case pieces should be easy to do ( I've cast a few things before) I've never had to go "out-of-pocket" to get something etched in batches before. If anyone knows someone who could point me in the right direction on that, I'm all ears!!!

Anyway, enough ranting, and I don't want to get discouraged. I'm gonna build these two, finish the laser artwork for the other instruments (including a drum kit, hopefully! :) )

Thanks again for the interest and comments and I'll post more as these progress

Chuck

Chuck, this is so cool. I can't wait to see how everything turns out when all things are completed. Guitars & Cases, Amps. Drum Set......WOW. I'd be in for all of it.

Let's see... then you'll need keyboards, either a Piano or a Hammond B3 would be cool... then some Horns, at least a Sax. Microphones and stands... Effects pedals... I think most of us can handle supplying our own wires & "cables"...LOL

I can see a LOT of dioramas coming down the road with this stuff. One band that I was in way back in the late 70's had a beat up old white van that we used to haul all of our equipment in... we packed that thing and the rear springs were screaming

Thanks, Buzz

But wait a minute, they ain't in resin yet :D

I'm pleased with how they're going but I have a couple of decisions to make. While I like the look of the detail pieces, I'm not sure if they're really smooth enough to cast in place. As it cut, the laser left a grooved surface on these pieces that I don't really like. I mean it will work fine for me but would the average customer like them?

I don't know where to turn to have a small run of these photo-etched. While casting these body and case pieces should be easy to do ( I've cast a few things before) I've never had to go "out-of-pocket" to get something etched in batches before. If anyone knows someone who could point me in the right direction on that, I'm all ears!!!

Anyway, enough ranting, and I don't want to get discouraged. I'm gonna build these two, finish the laser artwork for the other instruments (including a drum kit, hopefully! :) )

Thanks again for the interest and comments and I'll post more as these progress

Chuck

I saw this posted a while back, and have yet to look into it. Someone asked about the very same thing and the response was check out indy etching.http://www.indymetaletching.com/

Looks like laser engraving and 3D printing is a little different. At the local maker store, they use a acetone "vapor" to smooth out the parts finish after it's cooled. The acetone seems to smooth out the rough lines and gives the part a little more shine.Not sure if this can be done with your parts.

Rich, your bands van would make a great dio, hope that year of van is available, as it would be cool to see.

Buzz, I have no idea what year van it was or even what make. I just remember having to load the Ampeg SVT amp that I had at the time which was VERY heavy, and then our keyboard player always needed "my" help loading and unloading his upright 66 key acoustic piano that was even heavier than my amp. Those were the days when I could actually lift heavy stuff. No way could my old bones handle doing that today.

Just a quick (yeah, right :) ) update...

I'm making progress slowly but surely. I am starting the mold-making process tomorrow morning. I've decided to cast the details in place at first until I can secure cost effective photo-etching.

Been laying out the next batch of instruments and so far I've completed a Rickenbacker bass, a Gibson SG, a Fender Telecaster, Jazz Bass, and a full scale piano keyboard... I'll probably do a Roland keyboard and maybe even a baby grand :D

Still thinking about amps and which ones to try (Marshall, Peavey and Fender all come to mind)

Thanks for looking,

Chuck

I've also been busy laying out a set of decals with different guitar finishes for both the Stratocaster and \the Les Paul. And I'll post pics of the resin as they get demolded :)

Well, I got called in to work today... and didn't get things started till late. Realized too late that I needed 1: batteries for my scale, 2: mixing cups, 3: stir sticks and 4: patience. I was all fired up and ready to get these things molded, then remembered that they needed a few last minute details added and that took longer than I thought.

So anyway, they're in clay, ready for pouring rubber for two-piece molds and I should get home from work by 5PM tomorrow.

later,

Chuck

it's me again... first half of both the les paul and the strat molds have been poured. I ended up not having enough of the "Alumilite 'Quick-Set" silicone to do these so I had to use what I had on hand, The "high strength 3" which takes a whopping 18-24 hours to cure so I'll probably be pouring resin just in time for Christ's return. If I'd thought about it, I could have waited for Hobby Lobby to open tomorrow morning, bought a pound of quick set and then poured and still be de-molding sooner...

Oh Well

Edited by SlotDaddy1963

well... good news/ bad news time.

The strat mold came out okay and the first pour from it only had a few bubbles!

the les paul mold shifted or something and the back turned out concave and not rounded.

on a positive note the surface details appear to have picked up nicely :)

when I get the wife's ipad, I'll shoot a couple pics

Just now re-poured part one of the LP mold. I got 2 12" speakers in the same mold so I can start work on the amps. I used the "Quick-Set" RTV this time so by the time I get back from dinner, I should be able to clean it up and pour part 2. Waffle House here I come! :D