Model Cars Magazine Forum

musically inspired

SlotDaddy1963

An update of sorts...

I can't for the life of me get two-piece molds to work! Until I can get them right, I've reverted to using one piece molds for the guitars and we'll just have to sand flash off the backs. At least this way I can keep an eye out for bubbles in the resin.

On a more positive note, the speakers have turned out pretty nice, so the amps and P.A. pieces will get a start soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress, at last! :)

First, a couple of pics of the Strat and Les Paul with details in place:

photo1copy.jpg

photo2copy.jpg

And the new stuff, that's taken me awhile to get out... looking for work is a full time job, Brothers.

Gibson SG, Fender Telecaster, Rickenbacker 4003 Bass and Fender Precision Bass

photo5copy.jpg

photo7copy.jpgphoto8copy.jpg

photo9copy.jpgphoto6copy.jpg

They all need work and it's slow work carving by hand

Thanks, guys

I spoke on the phone with Indiana Metal Etching Inc. today and it will be cost prohibitive to try to include photo-etched details for these. At least until I sell a couple thousand of them... or a kidney! :D

If anyone can point me in the direction of a "BUDGET" photo-etch person, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'll probably cast the detail parts in a one piece mold. I think it'll be better to cast the details separate from the guitar itself. It'll make painting these easier. and the chances of trapped air in the molds are greatly reduced. If anybody has any ideas about more instruments, please lets hear 'em! I'm thinking a Explorer, Flying V, Fender Jaguar, Mustang, Jazz Bass. Ibanez Iceman...

I'm a little behind the eightball on the older keyboard stuff but I do have a Roland RD-800 in the works.

Let me know what you're thinking, and Thanks, again for your interest

Chuck

• 4 weeks later...

well another update of sorts,

It's been awhile, I know, but things are progressing slowly. I'm getting closer to getting finishing these things sorted out... Painting, strings, knobs... that sort of thing. Got a call from the trophy guy this afternoon. He's finished another batch of cuts for me. It should be the last of the guitars for awhile. I'll pick those up Monday afternoon.

Anyway here are some pics of the previous batch... both as rough cuts and sanded to shape. Also shown are the "details" sheet and the two-piece Roland RD800 keyboard. Turned out pretty nice I think.

photo1-2.jpgphoto2-1.jpgphoto6-1.jpgphoto7-1.jpgphoto8-1.jpgphoto9-1.jpgphoto4-2.jpgphoto3-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Hofner Bass for many years until disaster struck it. I bought one (right handed) with a cut out on the body back in 1966 for $365 with a hardshell case. I played it for years and it was as light as a feather, unlike the Precision Bass I have now. I was jamming with a friend who played keyboards one day and when we took a break, I leaned the Hofner against the piano bench. The guitar fell on the floor and the neck broke right off of the body as it was glued on, not bolted. I had tried getting it fixed at a guitar repair shop but the action was never the same. The strings were about a half inch or more above the fretboard where it joined the body and no amount of adjusting was ever able to lower the strings any closer to the fretboard. I wound up getting my P-Bass after that and eventually canned the Hofner. I do miss it.

Thanks fellas

I'll be adding as much cool stuff as I can find detailed dimensions on... Fender Jaguar, Music Man Albert Lee, Music Man Sterling Bass, a Rickenbacker 360 etc. I'll prolly even make a fiddle, an upright bass and, wait for it... a Banjo! (somebody once told me the definition of the phrase "perfect pitch" is when the banjo doesn't hit the sides of the dumpster as it's thrown away :D )

also working on a generic drumkit as we speak.

Sorry to hear about your Hofner, Rich

Edited by SlotDaddy1963

• 3 weeks later...

as an ex blues and rock guitarist i love what your doing with all of the instruments. in the seventies i made a few miniature fender guitars out of wood but only got as far as finishing and painting the bodies i never got to the detail parts as i just lost interest in the project i wish i knew what i did with those bodies. it would be fun to finish one of them. you are doing a spectacular job and i will be watching your progress. B)

Edited by jerseyjunker1

hey Brad,

I was looking around the vendors area at a local IPMS show several years ago, back when I dabbled in military models and lucked up and found these in 1/32 scale... they were kinda pricey even then, around $25 per set. I couldn't pass em up. I shot my whole kit budget on a set of each. Now these things are even more expensive... eurorailhobbies.com has them at $45 US each.

I found out later that Preiser makes them in several scales, from 1/22.5 (true G scale) down to 1/48. Even down to HO I think but the smaller ones are one piece figures The picture don't do them justice. And to an extent they really are multi-pose. (any male left leg will mate up to any male right leg etc... )

The diorama I had in mind when I bought them never actually got off the ground :D but with a little cigarette paper and putty you can clothe them any way you want.

Thanks for the interest and comments