Model Cars Magazine Forum

2004 #44 J Labonte Coast Guard Dodge

Mach2

Justin drove this piece in the Busch Series. Grandt Line 1:48 scale rivets in the front valance with a piece of electricians tape cut to scale height covers the rivets, dash mounted ignition electronics were made from plastic except the MSD boxes that were used from the kit, taller rear window blade, Grandt Line 1:48 scale nuts, bolts and large washers used as rear spoiler mount hardware, lowered ride height, fuel filler made from two pieces of aluminum tube with plastic rod center piece, aluminum tube fuel overflow tube, right side exhaust, JWTBM black windshield hold down decals as well as cut to size skirt decals, windshield tear-off made from plastic wrap. Kit helmet painted chevy engine orange, then tamiya flo orange sprayeddown onto the top of the helmet and tamiya orange sprayed up from the bottom of the helmet. Lightning bolt helmet decals from a 2002 #29 kit decal sheet and the flame decal from a #20 decal sheet. Notice the *Coast Guard* decal on the right rear quarter fender. ;)

finisheda.jpg

finishedb.jpg

finishedc.jpg

finishedd.jpg

finishede.jpg

finishedf.jpg

finishedg.jpg

finishedh.jpg

looks great was the decal made that way on purpose?
What way are you talking about ricky12?The Coast Guard on the left side and the Guarda Costas on the right? Yes it was made that way. I couldn't find any reference pic's of the right side to verify though, but the maker of these decals is very meticulous about accuracy. Edited by Mach2

Here's the answer to the Coast Guard being in Spanish.

RHsideatTexaswithGuardaCostas.jpg

Coast Guard recruiters from the Texas area help rollout the #44 "Shield of Freedom" Dodge for Team Coast Guard Racing/Labonte Motorsports at the Texas Motor Speedway prior to the start of the O'Reilly 300 Busch series race April 3, 2004. I gkuess the thought was towards recruiting and the large percentage of spanish speaking fans.

As for the lettering in Spanish.........

I think it's like when you call the Sears service department and

get the "Press 1 for English" message. The Coast Guard is PC, I guess.

I thought the lettering was always like that, not just the Mexico City race.

Awesome build, Mick.

Hondo