Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wich are your AB settings?

I shoot normal Du Pont paint and BASF Paint at 7psi at the tip. I have two regulator's as one with a water trap is set up at the compressure and the other is between the line and brush. I have the first one set up to shoot at 12psi and it fills the line as the other chooks it at the brush. For clear I shoot the urethane clear (non thin) at 7psi at the tip for the first coat and for the last coat 5psi as it is easy'er to make it just sage a little bit at the higher psi.

I have very good results with Testors enamels and shooting them at 12 to 15 psi. I thin the paint by filling 1/4 paint in the bottle and then fill the bottle the rest of the way with Enamel Reducer (real car reducer). the paint sprays smoother and dries quicker using the reducer rather than model thinner. I use the 1/4 oz jars to paint. I made an adapter using a lid of one of the Testors jars and installed an Aluminum tube for the pickup tube. Works for me. :) Dan

I found a pic of one of the tubes and lid that I use for spraying.

top.jpg

Edited by 59 Impala

Guest G Holding

I shoot all kinds of paint...from Testors(enamel 2/1 lacquer thinner 35psi) HOK pre reduced 1/1(solvent HOK 310 22psi) Auto Air (water OOB 55psi)

Hobby Paints and nail polish shot using "norbie method" (acryl/enamel/lacquer lacquer thinner 1/5 7to 10 psi)

all work well, all look and cover well.Get a system stick with it, and you will be happy.
I like to playwith the A/B so I have tried many different methods...each will work, for a different reason.

If you want a great method, try Donn Yosts way with enamels...Great guy and teacher!