Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge Magnum Wheelstander

1320wayne

Here is another ongoing project that has found it's way back onto the workbench yet again. For anyone that has already seen any of this one in the past I did a search of this forum and I guess I never entered anything on it here.

This is a build that I started at least two years ago and it has found it's way on and off the bench for different reasons. And, since this Summer has been a little frantic and I can't seem to concentrate on just one build at a time, (modelers ADD) I decided to go back to work on this one.

This is a Dodge Magnum Revell kit being converted into a modern style wheelstander. The first series of pictures is the mockup of the body and where I would need to make any cuts to the design of the body to work it into a wheelstander.

DSC00254-vi.jpg

I molded the hood into place and then cut out a new hood insert for access to the front suspension and any onboard electronics and battery. I also angle cut the rear quarters to make room for the larger tires as well as giving the body the ability to perform the wheelstand. And, I cut the rear roof forward to make room for the rear mounted engine.

DSC00972-vi.jpg

The grill openings were also cut out for mesh to be added later.

DSC00274-vi.jpg

The tires and wheels are from Comp. Resins and Pro Track slot cars wheels anodized in purple.

DSC00272-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Next was the work on the chassis. All scratchbuilt from Evergreen square stock and round tubing.

DSC00271-vi.jpg

DSC01199-vi.jpg

DSC01201-vi.jpg

The front suspension was made from a parts box straight axle and scracthbuilt leaf springs created out of brass. The rear suspension is a mixture of parts box pieces like the ladders bars and quick change rear end along with scratchbuilt, working springs.

DSC00983-vi.jpg

DSC00982-vi.jpg

Some engine work has been done to this point with it being mocked up between the framerails. I still haven't completely worked out the mounting hardware yet but it is in the works.

DSC01436-vi.jpg

DSC01439-vi.jpg

And then the biggest change so far since starting this one. Here are pictures of the original paint scheme.

DSC01433-vi.jpg

DSC01432-vi.jpg

Now, if anyone knows me by now they may be aware that sometimes I have some problems with the overall paint job or clear coat and have to eventually start over. With this build there was nothing wrong with the paint work or clear coating other than the fact that after looking at this over a period of time I wasn't happy with the outcome. So, changes were in order.

very cool Wayne B) i thought i had seen this in the background of some pics you've posted.

where did you get the short pins that you are using on the front suspension mock-up? i have some that i'm almost out of and i have no idea where they came from

Dave, the pins came from Michael's, I believe. I bought them in such large qty. that I have had a large stock for a number of years so it's hard somtimes to remember where things come from.

So, here is the big change. I wasn't felling the paint job so into the dip tank went the body to start over.

Here is the new paint scheme using Valspar Metallic Silver as the base along with homemade decals/graphics that I did on my home computer. The purple flames graphics were printed onto white decal film to eliminate any bleedthrough and the text was done on clear film. The text was done in a basic red but because the decal is clear the silver shows through and then gives the text an anodized, or candy look to it. There are still plenty of decals to add to the final look but this is the basic scheme. Also, the roof decal may look like it's rippled and that is only because I just laid it on before taking these pictures and the setting solution hadn't started to really work yet. Homemade decals through an inkjet printer seem to be a bit thicker than what one might be used to using so they take longer to settle down over contours and into crevices.

Hope you like and there will be more on this one in days to come as I am remotivated to get this one pushed to completion.

DSC07986-vi.jpg

DSC07987-vi.jpg

DSC07988-vi.jpg

DSC07989-vi.jpg

Derrick, the blower belt is material from a vacum cleaner belt sliced length wise to get the proper width for a blower belt. It's not exact perfect scale but it's close.

A vacuum cleaner??!!!! What a trip man, It looks the part!!! Can't wait to see more!!

Don't Forget the Wheelie bars!!! We DO NOT want to mess up that great paintjob!!!! It came out GREAT! :D:);)

There's still a lot to do to this one before it's finished but the last complicated piece will be to design the working wheelie bars. They are one of the hardest features on wheelstanders to find research data on.

There's still a lot to do to this one before it's finished but the last complicated piece will be to design the working wheelie bars. They are one of the hardest features on wheelstanders to find research data on.

Hey Wayne. Whenever you need inspiration, turn to ANY build by John Teresi. In this case, I ripped, um, was inspired by his "Chuckwagon" wheelie bar when I made mine for the U.S. Dart. You may have a different style in mind, but it's an option.

Official Notice: This is not an attempt to hijack, I just like showing off. It's another reason to build. lol

Gallileo053.jpgGallileo034.jpg

Edited by Batzilla