Model Cars Magazine Forum

Texaco Gas Station design

Repstock

I'm thinking of building a Texaco station, but I'm having trouble settling on a design. They all have pros and cons. Which design do you prefer?

Design A

Iconic, but kind of done to death.

E1_zps8c89f45d.jpg?t=1374339986

Design B

A little different, still has iconic elements, but hard to research.

C1_zps866ed45b.jpg?t=1374338611

Design C

Can not be used pre-60s, but would be different, more one-of-a-kind.

b1_zpscc3fc984.jpg?t=1374338635

Edited by Repstock

Guest Johnny

I worked in "B" but it was reversed with the bays on the right due to corner location.

Remember "C" in the 70's late and into the 80's they were already turning the shop bays into mini marts and going to self serve.

Tom, the "Mattawan style was actually a re design on the old "Teague Porcelain box" from 1932. These roofs were a in expensive way to overhaul these stations in locations that weren't in the really Prime areas . The re design work came about as a result of Lady Bird Johnson's "Highway beauty campaign of 1966. I can P-M you some specifications of Texaco stations that were of a "Ranch Style " similar to the Shell oil Ranches and a few of the Union 76 remodels of 1967-69. You have a good starting point taking on such a station as Pure , Shell, Esso- Exxon was doing a lot of re modeling during this time .

I like C. A slightly run down version with some late 70s cars would be cool.

I have been on the road a lot lately and ran across a gamut of old service stations from Oregon to Arizona. If I had the time, I would have loved to get pictures of the old, run down stations in Nevada.

I would like to see "B" but weathered and run down a little bit, maybe with the Texaco signs painted over or faded. Some derelict cars/trucks in the lot and the bays heavily soiled and cluttered.

Maybe you should build the shell Tom and send it to Dr. Cranky for weathering! :D

Design A is showing now. Although simplistic compared to the others, I think it's popularity would be based on that. The simpler design would be easier to duplicate and would not distract the eye from any cars added to the dio. Just my opinion.

Thanks. Your avatar is a bit...unsettling...

Yes it did. I have one down stairs in the Texaco livery.One day I will build it.

Texxaco_zps734e69a0.jpg?t=1374360238

Here you go. The Texaco issue. That metal "paneling" you can see inside the bay is just how all the interior garage walls were covered in the '60s Texaco near me.

Tom, given what M R C wants for one of those so called service stations , I know you and I can do much better . Even the totally out of scale gasoline pumps are a good scale foot too dang tall! I'll say it one more time to everyone ,

If anyone needs help doing a service station all ya gots to do is to P- M me !

This kit is very close to design "A".

HPIM2301.jpg

In one of it's releases, I do believe it even had Texaco markings.

I like Joe's Garage, but where are you going to find a 54 Dodge with a mashed up door ??? The Stratocaster with a whammy bar can be found in the 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8 kit..........people are either going to get that or not.

I like Joe's Garage, but where are you going to find a 54 Dodge with a mashed up door ??? The Stratocaster with a whammy bar can be found in the 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8 kit..........people are either going to get that or not.

OR NOT!!!

Tom, given what M R C wants for one of those so called service stations , I know you and I can do much better . Even the totally out of scale gasoline pumps are a good scale foot too dang tall! I'll say it one more time to everyone ,

If anyone needs help doing a service station all ya gots to do is to P- M me !

I just bought 'em for the goodies. I have no intention of using the building portion. It's gatorboard for me! When I was a kid, there was a Texaco station at the end of the street. Leo's Texaco. It was a design "B" building. Diagonally across the street was a Sinclair. Down the street was a Phillip's 66. In the opposite direction was a Humble station. Past the Phillip's a ways was a Shell and Sunoco. None of them exist today except the Phillip's 66, which is now a used tire store. I suppose what I'm doing with the models to some degree is trying to hang on to a piece of all that. My kids can't miss what they never knew, but I suspect a lot of you guys do.