Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real names in your sig line!

Harry P.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, Harry hit me with this, and as I point out something, what if your don't want to post your full name? I am on afew other clubs and none of them have this rule at all. this is the first place I have ever seen it at. What about privacy? isn't only your first name good enough around here? It's kinda like PayPal and eBay wanting more and more. The first time I join up, it said "first name" so I put that. Now I get a PM from Harry wanting my "whole name" in my signature well.

I don't mind having my first name in there at all, and like I mention to Harry in the pm, people can always pm me. We do have lurkers out there and screw balls also I might ad ..

Edited by m0parman

I don't wanna !!! ya can't make me !! .... Huh ??Its already there ?? It's my forum id too ?? Dangit so much for pushin the limit .... Lol seriously tho I don't see it as a problem I have my name in my signature or as the display name everywhere I go. It's not like ya name is top secret info I mean have ya ever looked in a phone book ??

Guys, Harry hit me with this, and as I point out something, what if your don't want to post your full name? I am on afew other clubs and none of them have this rule at all. this is the first place I have ever seen it at. What about privacy? isn't only your first name good enough around here? It's kinda like PayPal and eBay wanting more and more. The first time I join up, it said "first name" so I put that. Now I get a PM from Harry wanting my "whole name" in my signature well.

I don't mind having my first name in there at all, and like I mention to Harry in the pm, people can always pm me. We do have lurkers out there and screw balls also I might ad ..

It's simple, the way I see it.

1. It's the rule.

2. I don't pay the bills to provide the forum.

3. Therefore, I don't get to make the rules.

4. Gregg pays the bills to provide the forum.

5. Therefore, Gregg gets to make the rules.

6. Gregg made the rule.

7. Therefore, it is the rule.

8. If I don't like the rule, I don't have to post here.

9. If I don't follow the rule, Gregg won't let me post here.

10. Because, it's the rule.

:wacko:

It's simple, the way I see it.

1. It's the rule.

2. I don't pay the bills to provide the forum.

3. Therefore, I don't get to make the rules.

4. Gregg pays the bills to provide the forum.

5. Therefore, Gregg gets to make the rules.

6. Gregg made the rule.

7. Therefore, it is the rule.

8. If I don't like the rule, I don't have to post here.

9. If I don't follow the rule, Gregg won't let me post here.

10. Because, it's the rule.

B)

Rules Rule!

See, I knew I couldn't have said it better!

• 2 weeks later...

How do we know all the names are real names? There is nothing keeping someone from using a fake name.

A "nom de plume"? I can see that. But if I create some new technique, or build a really great model, I'd want to get credit for it as who I am, not "chunkylover53@aol.com" - not my e-mail BTW :angry: I've participated in anonymous forums and I've seen people post some of the most abusive, rascist, bigoted nonsense when they don't have to stand behind a name. I won't particpate in a forum unless it requires real names.

Edited by Brett Barrow

I understand what some of you are saying about this forum not having many members breaking the rules. It is a really nice place to post. However I am a member on a few different forums, (Starshipmodeler, Eagletransporter, ARC Air Forum, VintageBMX, BMXMuseum), and none of them ask for a full name. I consider those to be some of the best forums and they don't really have any 'bad' members. In fact each of those forums has members that have been around for quite a while and who post frequently.

Until anyone actually has been a victim of identity theft, you won't know how that can be. I've had that happen and trust me, it's no fun. The problem with the internet is that anyone can get any info they want if they have the know how. I don't even have a Facebook account. I only join the forums, where in most cases you can remain anonymous and only reveal your information when you choose to. I understand that adding a last name is the rule here but how does anyone know if the last names here are actually the person's last names?!

I understand what some of you are saying about this forum not having many members breaking the rules. It is a really nice place to post. However I am a member on a few different forums, (Starshipmodeler, Eagletransporter, ARC Air Forum, VintageBMX, BMXMuseum), and none of them ask for a full name. I consider those to be some of the best forums and they don't really have any 'bad' members. In fact each of those forums has members that have been around for quite a while and who post frequently.

Until anyone actually has been a victim of identity theft, you won't know how that can be. I've had that happen and trust me, it's no fun. The problem with the internet is that anyone can get any info they want if they have the know how. I don't even have a Facebook account. I only join the forums, where in most cases you can remain anonymous and only reveal your information when you choose to. I understand that adding a last name is the rule here but how does anyone know if the last names here are actually the person's last names?!

Well one way to clear it up maybe, if you post your whole name, and then someone gets your identity as in stealing it. And if you only posted it here and no where else, I would go at mcm then because of the issue that someone else just made you. Because like you said and mention almost no other forum will ask you to post your name. Even SAM forum doesn't do that! What good is screen name if you have to post your name as well? they conflict with each other when you set back and think and look at it. I'm on afew other forums myself and NONE of them ask you like this forum does, wait I take that back.. they don't ask you they tell you.

Heck a week ago, I have no idea what the heck had happen, But you can ask Harry P, I had my name in my area like I was asked to, and then some time last week half of it vanish and I thought one of the mods done it so I didn't think anything of it and then he sent me a PM telling it was his 2nd time telling me to post my stuff! After he pm me I then realize the mods didn't do it.. so I went in and fix the issue myself so I wouldn't be breaking the rules on the forum here. But if it wasn't for Harry pming me I wouldn't have thought anything about it. So now I keep a close eye on that area. Harry, thanks for bring that issue to my attention last week.

I must admit that I really struggled to understand most of your post, Jim. However, if you get your identity stolen merely by someone having your first and last name you're being targeted by someone who has access to more information than just that to work with. Just that information, your name, is less than what would be in a phone book or any number of public-access information sources. Using the phone book as an example it has your address and (obviously) phone number too. The same could be said of a business card, or all sorts of other everyday items that might have your name where someone could see it.

Well it's strange that you have a hard time and struggle to understand my post's when in fact everyone else understands them clear as day. :blink::lol::lol:

You just said it yourself, a phone book has part of peoples address in it along with names. Now take the forum here plus a phone book. Almost everything falls into place if you know where to look. That's all I'm saying man.

What good is having a screen name if you have to also use your name as well.. it makes no sense at all. :lol:

Using the phone book as an example it has your address and (obviously) phone number too.

My phone number is unlisted so it doesn't appear in a phone book. I had some trouble with identity theft and like to be able to choose who I give any information too. As I said above, how do we know if any of the last names posted are real.

What good is having a screen name if you have to also use your name as well.. it makes no sense at all. :lol:

Me either.

I just don't understand what the problem is with the few members continually (CENSORED) and moaning about this rule! :lol::lol::lol: The fact of the matter is when you first sign up, the first thing you read is the forum REQUIRES FULL NAME be posted somewhere, either as screenname or if screenname differs from your full name, your full name must be in your post or sig line. My question to the complainers is this, if you read this when you joined and feel so strongly about having your name here,

WHY DID YOU JOIN IN THE FIRST PLACE????

This has been said before in this thread, the rules are the rules, and in my opinion, if you don't want to follow the rules and have your name here, DON'T POST HERE!!!

I'm not trying to get all grammar-Nazi on you, but the post I responded to was very hard to get through. I know it's clear to you what you were trying to say, but to someone reading it not so much.

If you view a screen name as some sort of alternate identity, then having it along with your real name doesn't allow you to be known by some jazzy alter-ego. On the other hand, people have nicknames which is pretty much how I've always viewed forum handles. It's not a cloak to disguise your identity, it's just a nickname.

I know your not going grammer-nazi on me at all man. But I just went back an red what I said before also to see where all the confuseion was at and why you had a hard time understanding it and I couldn't find one place at all. And I red it word for word also to see how it sounded myself. Even the mods understand it also it seems and so far no one else has said they had a hard time understanding my post's.. you are the first one bud.

If anyone else has a problem with reading my post's please let me know. Because I do at times speed type and do get extra letters in some of my replys by mistake which would make it alittle hard to understand them. Plus I will go on record here and admit I can't spell some words the best so I do the best as I can with them.

Now about the screen/nick/real names. What good is having a screen name if you also have to have your real name posted? Doesn't that kinda kill one or the other out. I would think it would. :lol:

PS: I'm not trying to start anything here, I'm just trying to understand why both names has to be use at the same time is all.

I have to admit I didn't read through all the rules when I joined. I've joined a few other forums(I build Star Trek kits, collect BMX bikes...) and all the forums seem to have the same rules. I probably wouldn't have joined if I had read this last name rule, my mistake.

I did however stop posting on another forum that allowed cursing. I don't feel anyone should use foul language on a public forum.

I'm not complaining, it just doesn't make sense.

I have made a few friends here already and will keep in touch.

Edited by crowe-t

OK, For you guys that don't comply with the rules and add your name lets create a scene for you.

1. Your the boss and you start to create something lets go with a forum since we are on that subject.

2. You write the rules, and lo and behold there is a "crazy rule" that 10 out of 65 people don't follow because they do not see the need for it.

3. This has made you aggravated and you say something about it like this post.

4. You ask the people that don't comply and keep complaining about the rule nicely asking them to comply with what you have written.

5. What would you do if they don't comply?

If you are on the internet you are pretty much a setting duck when it comes to that. If they can hack in to the CIA or FBI database they can get to you. Most firewalls have a 128bit encryption?? this is if you have a firewall. This is like putting one of those plastic things on a doorknob to keep kids out. C'mon now if someone is going to steal your identity they are going for your trashcan so they can get the old bills out and have your stuff re-rerouted.

I did say it was my mistake not reading the rules when I joined. I just said what I thought of the rule and have no problems if/when my account is cancelled here. The forum's rules say a full name should be given and I respect that. I'll try and cancel my account now.

The rule here is full name.

If you don't like that rule, or don't agree with that rule, or feel that rule is unreasonable, you have every right to not join this forum. The choice is yours... agree to our rules and become a member, or disagree with our rules and join another forum. Simple as that.