Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Tamiya Datsun 240ZG

stump

Greg, jus keep you a bottle of Tylenol(do you's got that?) and the Ol Opti-visors so ya don't get ANY nuttier! Go for it Bro, after all it IS the 4th of July weekend, and we could all enjoy a nice weekend of building! Get'R dun bro, we is awaitin on it!!!!! :(:wub:

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys, this weekend is the closest it's come to perfect....and I have family commitments...... :)

The body is still no where near to being in a paint ready stage..... and I haven't really accomplished that much else of late....sorry..

Had some odds'n'ends arrive from Scale Hardware...I needed some tiny nuts to fit up the brake system, now I am ready to start the installation...

Also been working on the fuel system, made my own aftermarket style electric fuel pump and duel in-line filters...

Currently have an order in with Detail Master for some fuel fittings...I thought I had the correct ones, but they don't suit how I would like... :blink:

The ones pictured are some old Modellers brand....long OOP I believe....

Anyways, here's a small update for you's.....hope it keeps you entertained till the next step.. :blink: Erm, please excuse the dust.... :blink:

Fuel tank is mounted with this strips of aluminium, secured with SH bolts. Just visible is the "old" fuel line from the outlet. It is blocked off with a bolt too.

july09004-vi.jpg

july09010-vi.jpg

And, my handy work (read = attempt..) at my aftermarket fuel components.....

The fuel pump has been tapped for the installation of tiny bolts to secure the electrical wiring too..

The red fittings are the Modellers ones, the white are just some Plastruct hex rod....I'll wait for the DM ones to arrive before I finish all the lines here...

july09009-vi.jpg

So that's pretty much it for now.....not getting as much done as I'd like, but it is still moving along......s l o w l y.....

I'll have more soon I hope guys......

cheers

Greg

Hey Greg,waz up? Glad you took the time ta post, good ta see ya back atter agin! That blue is REALLY a nice color,Is the body gonna be that color? Din't we talk once where ya tol me Blue was your favorite color? Sure looks good UNDER the car, I'd probly look pretty good up top too!!! Any colors gonna look good on this bad boy when it's done! After seein all that's in it, folks probly won't even notice wat color it is!!! :) Lookin GOOD mate, Get R Dun!!!!! :blink::blink::blink:

:blink: Hey, thanks George...

Yeah, things have been kinda slow down here....darn winter messes up my modelling time..... :) Haven't had good enough weather to do any proper outdoor paint spraying....maybe I need to make a spray booth...?? Hmmm..... :huh:

Yep, blue is one of my favs.... :blink: it shows, don't it..... :blink: It is very intense though, that's my only concern.....Once it's done, the light gray trim will help break it up anyways..

I got hold of some neat 1/12 carbon fiber decal to do the over-fender arches...IF..I can't get it to set up good, they will get the gray/silver trim too....

Just about to settle in at the bench.....got a good couple of hours ahead of me, so I'll be adding all the brake lines.. ;)

Don't change that dial.........

More soon

Greg

:D Hey, thanks Brandon.. :)

The pump was probably easier than it looks....and the filters were easier again. ;)

I sorted through my stash of various sized plastic tubes and rods, found a couple of sizes which fitted snugly, one inside the other.

The inner one was left slightly longer at both ends, this gives the hex fittings something to mate too.

The outer tube was sanded flat, top and bottom. Slightly more on the bottom to allow the fixing of the two mounting strips.

I then glued several very thin strips of flat sheet (.005 x .010 ) along both sides to represent the ribs. :)

The filters are simply two lengths of tube with a home made (read = drilled..) plastruct hex rod details added. I just drilled to suit the wire I'm using for fuel line.

The red hex fitting are the old Modellers brand, which I think are no longer around.... :(

I will be replacing them with Detail Master items when they arrive....

Well, an update promised, is an update delivered..... ;) Here ya go George......

Brake lines...................Started !

Man, this was more tedious than I first imagined......took nearly ALL afternoon just to do this much...(yeah, a little embarrassing, huh...)

Though, in my defense...I did have to make some extra parts I hadn't considered till this arvo..... :lol: Proportioning valve, switch (?) and some neat brackets.

Here are my tiny brackets, and yes, it's not a good pic by any means.....sorry.........they are shown in later pics as well..

july2509002-vi.jpg

july2509006-vi.jpg

Along the tunnel as well....gotta keep it all in place.

july2509012-vi.jpg

An overview of the lines in place, looking forward...

july2509013-vi.jpg

I have left a tiny stub of hard-line exposed on either side, the flexible brake line will attach to these.

I'm thinking I may paint the braided flexible line black..? It will give a better appearance don't you think....?? A more factory look....

Here they are, along with my scratched up brake distribution block and switch..(?)

july2509009-vi.jpg

I'll do a little more tonight, plus spend some time here tomorrow, so I'll hopefully have another update soon guys....

Stay tuned.......

cheers

Greg

Greg, you KNOW whats comin next dontcha? Folkes is gonne 'spect that bad boy ta start up! Freak em all out by puttin a lil 'lectric motor INSIDE the engine! When ya hit the start button, the engine starts turnin over! Hey, that way you can wire the lights an all that other stuff. You could even have the interior lights go on when you open the doors! Ok, so I got a little crazy on ya, but to be honest with ya Bro, I think you could pull it off! Your doin a killer job so far Mate, I hope to see some more updates pretty soon! Cheers!!!!! :rolleyes::lol::P

Thanks Jeff, Brandon, George, Rodney and Jeff.. B)

No pictorial update as yet....got sidetracked for most of yesterday.... :D

But, I have finalized my two brake distribution/proportioning valves...got them undercoated this arvo, just need a detail paint now.

I also spend a bit of time on another "missed" engine bay item....I won't say yet...see if you can pick it up when I get pics... ;) It's pretty obvious...

I now have to do a re-spray on part of the engine bay too.....then add my two brake fittings and hook it all up... :D

Maybe a pic tomorrow.....

cheers guys

Greg

Ok...well, I have the two distribution blocks ready to glue/bolt in place.

The one in the top of pic has two tiny holes drilled, there will be some electrical connections there.

july3009006-vi.jpg

BUT......before I can add them, I really wanted to give the firewall a finished look............I have added some extra ribbing which

was missing, and I also made this.........

july3009001-vi.jpg

The striker plate is cut from aluminium sheet, it will be removed before I get to repainting the xtras.....

july3009004-vi.jpg

That's it for now....I have also mounted the fuel pump on an aluminium bracket and bolted it to the rear suspension cradle.

I'm just waiting on some supplies from DM then I can complete the fuel system too....

cheers guys

Greg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, thought you may be wanting for an update on this....

My DM order arrived, but ol'dufas here.....ordered the wrong size........ :blink::mellow:

Oh well, I wasn't going to get put off there....I used a combination of what I had on hand, yielding a result I'm a least happy with....

Took several attempts though....this braided line can cause headaches, hey....... :lol: Anyways, fuel system is complete, just needs final attachment...

The following pics have all the goodies just in place for photo session...nothing glued.

Fuel pump and filters..

These took three goes to get the hoses looking right.....sheeesh....... :rolleyes:

aug909a002-vi.jpg

In place on the tank....

aug909a005-vi.jpg

Main fuel line from pump to fuel block on firewall, installed with more aluminium clips.....

aug1609brakes008-vi.jpg

Test fitting the diff centre...don't want to find troubles now....... :lol:

aug1609brakes015-vi.jpg

Decided to tart up the washer bottle too....I squeezes in beside the brake booster.

I made an electric pump with hose outlet and glued it to the bottom of the bottle...Wires will connect via the junction block.

aug1609brakes004-vi.jpg

And the brakes are mostly complete...Still need to attach the flexible joint (hose) once the brakes get installed....

aug1609brakes021-vi.jpg

That's it for now...haven't got near it for a week....we've hit SUMMER down here, and winter still has 2 weeks to run..... :blink::P

Reset all the record books apparently....37C last Monday....was 30C by 9am......Hate to think what Summer will really be like.....

More soon guys.......( I hope....)

cheers

Greg

WOW, i am speachless! thats amazing! WOW! B) lol! thats a very nice job! and that sucks it just hit summer! its been between 90-100 for the past 3 months and even worse its like 90-100% hummidity out side, so that makes it feel even hotter! ugh! lol! anywho, keep up the excellent work mate! i can't wait to see more!

Edited by KUZTOMMODELS88

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, thanks Brandon, Rodney, Mike, Bill and Derrick.. :o

Yeah, things have got pretty slow down here of late.... ;) I've even been tackling some smaller, more regular builds...(1/24-25..)

Was starting to burn out working on the Datto, so figured it was better to let it lay-lo for a little while...

Aside from our crazy weather we've been subjected too...man, it's hard to pick a decent day to do work....

Too hot indoors (model room) and generally too windy outdoors...(outside spray booth = open air.... :o )

On a brighter note, talk with my resin guy has been fruitfull... ;) and I hope to have a "test" mule very soon of my wheels and tyres.... :o

I'll get back with more news on them as it happens.....

PS; Derrick......LOVE THAT '57..... :lol::blink:

STUMP!! Glad ta see ya got my PM! Din't I tell ya that 57 was a KILLER??!!! He's the ONLY guy I've seen who EVEN COMES CLOSE to you! I'm glad ya took the time ta post. Even if you did set the Ol Z down for a minute, I'd sure like ta see what your messin round with now. When ya get the chance, let us see WHATEVER you got on the bench! Cheers, yer Ol Mate,Me!!!! B););)

Hehehe....Thanks George and Al. :lol:

George, I was blown away going thru that '57 build of Derrick's...amazing stuff. And some great ideas I plan on using on another build..(man, can't believe I'm talkin' of more builds.. :lol: )

I've been wanting to do something similar to my 69 Camaro....now I have some great reference to follow...(thanks Derrick. ;) )

I'll get some pics up later on what's been doin' at the bench George... ;) Would you believe, another Datto.....1/24 this time..... :blink:

Plus, I just received a full detail Fujimi Nissan R35 GT-R kit....it's their latest, complete with motor, not curbside....Yay !...

I'm waiting on a resin trans-kit for that one.....gonna be a bit special....... ;)