Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dealing with different finishes

Coming from a model railroad background for the past couple of years, I can safely say that rarely is there a time that I had to worry about anything but a matte finish. It makes it quite easy to weather freight cars knowing that we can rely on Dullcote without messing up other finishes because for the most part everything is matte.

Now that I'm stepping into model cars, I'm coming across a lot more instance where a gloss or semi-gloss are noted on certain parts. I'm curious how you guys deal with these different finishes while applying multiple paint layers, weathering and sealing? For example, there are parts on an engine where you would find semi-gloss, but in my order of weathering parts you would Dullcote before and in between each step. And of course you wouldn't want to put a semi-gloss on after your weathering. So, it's a little confusing from my perspective. How do you guys go about retaining the correct finish, but also sealing in your weathering, etc.?

Thanks!

Edited by Union Modelworks

You can manually obtain different stages of sheen on any paint my friend if you so desire. For example, if you don't have semi gloss black handy but yet you have gloss black and some clear, you can mix a bit of clear together with the flat black until you get the desired effect. Another way is to shoot light coats of clear onto a flat surface. I am currently building a 250 Testa Rossa and just finished up with the seats. The seats were painted flat red but I wanted a "vinylish" look to it so I sprayed just one coat of clear from a distance using my airbrush and gave the part the desired effect i was going for.

This is the seat painted in flat red......

picture048-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

In this phase, it has one coat of clear, just enough for the effect....

picture054-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

picture056-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thanks for the info, Marcos. I can see how this works well when you don't have to worry about weathering, but in the case of a motor, frame or engine compartment where there are multiple finishes, it seems like it could be difficult to maintain the right look while sealing your work. Maybe you could give an example of how you applied this same approach to that great looking engine in the photo. And by the way, killer looking seats, dude.

Maybe the trick is not sealing the paint, but I've had problems with acrylics lifting off while applying washes and such.

Edited by Union Modelworks

I might also add that when using weathering powders the results are best on a matte surface. With that said, it would seem that you couldn't use a satin or gloss finish anywhere when using powders. Like I mentioned before, you couldn't seal your powders with gloss so my only conclusion is doing everything with a dull surface. I know a lot of modelers are into the new look, but I tend to be more on rust and grunge side.

In regards to weathering though, my thoughts are that the surface you are weathering would been dulled off over time, the only surfaces that would be still gloss would be in the case of a new vehicle that has got dirty, (mud, dust and the like). I havent progressed to using powders and the like, just using what is at hand basically to ry and re-create what I think things would like. At the moment I am trying to make a 1940 Ford pickup (hotrod version) look like an old farm work vehicle.