Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1/24 1987 Buick GNX

Jordan White

For the first year of the Syclone (1991), SS 454 pickup (1990), and Impala SS (1994), black was the only color offered. The rest of the years for each offered other colors.

Brodie: They did offer it in bright red and white, in addition to the black. I have a build on my bench that will be red with a gray interior.

After doing some research, I retract what I said about the Syclone. I keep forgetting that they only sold the truck for 1991, and all of them were black except for 10 that were painted red for a partnership with Marlboro. There were 3 produced in 1992, two were white/gray and one black, however they weren't sold to the public. The Typhoon on the other hand was offered in multiple colors besides black.

Edit: Personally I don't think GM wussed out by offering other colors. Sure black looks cool on them, but IMO it's pretty lame having your vehicle look like everyone else's. The dark red and gray-green they offered on the Impala look cool, and the SS 454 looks awesome in red.

Edited by Jordan White

The Dark Red and Dark Green were also available on the LT-1 Caprice police package. Pennsylvania State Police had several of each as unmarked/admin cars with cloth seats, carpeting, etc. They were some if the most sought after cars when the state auctioned them off as the color/interior options were rare.

I had a red 92 454SS project truck last year. A little research led me to believe that there was only 42 92s finished in red with grey interiors. I believe 90 trucks were only black, and the later year models got white and red added. The GMC Sy/Tys I've seen in black, white, red, teal. Although I think the Typhoons (Jimmy) got the other colors.

Edited by AirForceOne

There was a prototype or something called the "X-Ray" which was white with gray interior. I believe it was built with left-over GNX parts and only one car exists (I'm sure multiple replicas are out there though). It was a very cool-looking car! Might be worth building that as well! The only thing I don't like about this kit is that it doesn't have the correct turbo cover...still has the louvered GN/Turbo T turbo cover. A small detail and could be corrected carefully, but a detail non the less. Looking forward to picking one of these up! Thanks for the review!

Here's a pic of the X-Ray:

MVC-012S.JPG

That is one bad ride looks awesome.

• 3 years later...

Yup. No GN/GNX left the factory without the murderous black paint job except the X-Ray, and that wasnt built for the public.

I know this is an old topic, but I had to respond: Not true:

1982 Buick Grand National.JPG

Edited by fomocomav
Pic didn't show

I know this is an old topic, but I had to respond: Not true:

1982 Buick Grand National.JPG

That's not a GN/GNX as it has chrome trim and no bulged hood as most regular production Regals did when they came off the assembly line.  Yes it does have 2 tone paint, aluminum wheels with the WLR tires, spoiler package and what looks to be t-tops.  Only the GN/GNX Regal had the bulge hood, monochromatic black trim and different aluminum wheels and did not come with the 2 tone paint scheme as the pic Regal has.

That's not a GN/GNX as it has chrome trim and no bulged hood as most regular production Regals did when they came off the assembly line.  Yes it does have 2 tone paint, aluminum wheels with the WLR tires, spoiler package and what looks to be t-tops.  Only the GN/GNX Regal had the bulge hood, monochromatic black trim and different aluminum wheels and did not come with the 2 tone paint scheme as the pic Regal has.

Actually he is correct, they did offer one in 1982 that was not like the 1984 and later GNs.

In 1982, the Regal Grand National debuted, which was named for the NASCAR Winston Cup Grand National Series (the "Grand National" term was part of the Cup series nomenclature until 1986). Buick had won the Manufacturers Cup in 1981 and 1982, and wanted to capitalize on its success: "What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday". These 1982 cars were not painted black, which may confuse those not familiar with them. All started out as charcoal gray Regals that were shipped off to a subcontractor for finishing.

Originally intended for a run of 100 units, Cars and Concepts of Brighton, Michigan, retrofitted 215 Regals with the GN package. Most obvious was the light silver gray firemist paint added to each side. Red pinstripes and billboard shadow lettering proclaiming "BUICK" were applied. The wheel opening moldings and rocker panel moldings were blacked out using black vinyl tape. Finally, a front air dam and rear spoiler were installed. On the inside, special "Lear-Siegler" seats were installed. These seats are fully adjustable and were covered with silver brandon cloth with black vinyl inserts. The front seat had Buick's "6" emblem embroidered onto them. To finish it off, a special clock delete plate was added to the instrument panel which contained the yellow and orange "6" logo and the words "GRAND NATIONAL BUICK MOTOR DIVISION.")

The '82 GN came with a naturally aspirated 4.1 L V6 engine with 125 hp (93 kW) at 4000 rpm and 205 lb·ft (278 N·m) of torque at 2000 rpm. Of the 215 Regal Grand Nationals produced in 1982, at least 35 were based on the Buick Regal Sport Coupe package with the turbocharged 3.8 V6 engine with 175 hp (130 kW) at 4000 rpm and 275 lb·ft (373 N·m) of torque at 2600 rpm. There were only 2022 Sport Coupes produced in 1982, and the number of cars with both the GN and Sport Coupe packages is estimated to be less than 50.

Edited by Jordan White

Check out: http://www.beforeblack.net/  All sorts of good info, including the one RED Grand National (not a clone, but a REAL RED prototype).

Thank you for pulling this thread back up as I definitely have found it to be very good. Just learned a lot about this Buick that I never knew. Have not built one yet but that's going to change. Again, great thread and Thank you.   Jeff 

• 3 years later...

HPI's model looks great, maybe I'll give this one another attempt. I like that the seat inserts are now decals, it will make for a cleaner looking interior than the one I've built. 

It does appear the model sits a scootch too high, but perhaps Fireball's tires will fix that issue.

Edited by Merkur XR4Ti

Interesting this has a Monogram logo on it...so we're back to trying this again.  Let's see if the combined might of Germany & U.S. branches can figure out how to correctly use the "divisions".  Hobbico Revell managed to cross brand things incorrectly listing 1/24 kits as Revell and 1/25 as Monogram on the concept that Monogram branding indicated a simpler building experience.

73175207_3163734643701952_7942494445658701824_o.thumb.jpg.b558a9c3e98dfcccff3c20f659d08273.jpg

Edited by niteowl7710