Model Cars Magazine Forum

Almost Nascar (Maybe better!)

Slim Louis

This was a lot of fun to build, I've wanted to build and letter this car since the first time I saw it race in 62, took me a long time playing with my Print Shop to get these decals to turn out close to the real thing, but I'm pleased with the results. From the AMT Don Nicholson kit.

DSCN3848.jpg

DSCN3845.jpg

DSCN3850.jpg

She's real fine, my 409!

DSCN3859.jpg

Link to the build:

http://public.fotki.com/slimlouis/dark-sid...y-gerkens-62-b/

Edited by Slim Louis

The Chicago Area liked to race those big full size cars on the small bull rings, so they didn't stay clean real long, they kept them up a little for the USAC races in Milwaukee on the "big" track, though!

Here's the same car two years later:

44_Rich_Kleich.jpg

check this link out:

http://public.fotki.com/slimlouis/chicagoland-auto-racing/

WAY COOL '62. Now the real question is which of the nightmares were the worst? The ones that Curtis Turner had because he was kicked out of Nascar and had to run USAC or the ones the USAC guys had because Curtis was kicked out of Nascar and had to run USAC?

redlast.jpg

And yes, you could pretty much buy that engine in '62 with only minor differences........like the fabricated aircleaner housing and about two grand worth of "fine tuning" on the engine. LOL

Edited by LUKE'57

Hey Luke, when they kicked Turner out of NASCAR isn't it true that he said something along the lines of "I don't give a @#%& USAC purses are bigger anyways". BTW I've never heard actually why he was kicked out of the series. Also I believe last year sometime CMT aired a special that was bankrolled by NASCAR paying tribute to their 50 greatest drivers of all time. Curtis was definitely in that 50 with no mention of his expulsion from the series. Just a little FYI. Thanks. -Will

Yes, he needed to borrow about $800.000 to finish building Charlotte so he approached Jimmy Hoffa and the Teamsters for a loan. The condition was to unionize the drivers. Him and Tim Flock took the fall and were banned for life! That lasted untill 1965 or so. He came up to Milwaukee in 62,63, and 64 and raced with the USAC guys. I was there, what a thrill!