Model Cars Magazine Forum

It's great to see these kits built up stock and not customized. The seats look interesting though.... what is the finish on them? Nicely built!!

Thanks for showing this and I hope you have more to show.

Tony

Thank you, Charlie and Tony for your comments.

Tony, the seats were sprayed with cheap old Colorplace flat black from Wal-Mart, with a little extra texturing from a thin layer of dust. lol. This has been sittin on my shelf for awhile. I just started pulling some of my built models down and am in the process of cleaning them. I figured I'd take of pictures of some of the better ones and share with everyone.

those aren't patches, per se, but stock reinforcing brackets. they were probably painted black in real life 1:1, but i don't remember from my A restoration days at my Dad's elbow. i liked the MPC woody better than Revell's because it was simpler and fit together better... today, i'd gladly take either one.

Thank you for the comments.

John, If I recall correctly, this kit literally fell together. Everything fit quite nicely.This was the AMT kit. I have the newer Revell sitting on the shelf yet. Still trying to figure out what colors I want to go with on that one.

Curt, I have seen the reinforcing brackets done several different ways. I have seen the black as you had suggested, I have seen the silver or uncoated as I have replicated here, and I have seen them also painted body color. I am no expert on this in any way though. Just working from memories from my childhood. It seemed like my Grandparents were taking us off on one trip or another with the Model A club about every other weekend. Thanks.

Edited by mageckman

granted, the A's Dad had weren't woodies, so... no harm no foul! i had four different reference guides almost memorized so i could scout out cars for him. he was partial to '30-'31 coupes, and two of the complete cars he had were these. he had accumulated nearly enough sheetmetal to build a '29 closed cab pickup, but all of this went missing when we moved and couldn't move the cars......

i've had the Revell and MPC kits and both have their better points and failings. IMHO the main disadvantage to the Revell kit is the chromed suspension. if you want to build it stock, you need to remove the chrome, and the assembly is fiddly at best. the Revell has a better banger, and finer detail in the woodwork. still, the MPC goes together easier and withstands handling better when finished.

i never have been able to do justice to Revell's folding multi-piece hood, or opening doors. not getting any easier with time, either!

Thank you, Skip.

Curt, grandpa seemed more partial to 29's and 30's. He had a 29 tudor sedan, a 30 pickup , a 30 roadster, a 30 tanker truck, and a 30 AA school bus. He still has the tudor sedan and the bus. The bus has been in two different family weddings, and most of us grandkids, at one point or another, had a hand in helping reconstruct it.

I still have the revell on the shelf. I'm hoping the hinges aren't as fiddly as the ones on the 31 tudor sedan were. Those were a nightmare.Thanks for the warning.