Model Cars Magazine Forum

Xonex 1903 Harley Davidson

Harry P.

That's a beauty. I heard that rubber is naturally white and not black and that is why early tires were mostly left white. True ?

True. Latex is white, but pure rubber tires wore out very quickly... so they figured out that adding carbon to the mix made the rubber much tougher... and carbon powder is black, so tires from then on (with carbon added) were black. The "big switch" happened roughly around 1910-15 or so... some tire makers sooner than others, but by the '20s, white tires were a thing of the past.

That is really cool! Any idea of the scale?

Sorry, Bruce, I forgot to mention that. It's 1/6 scale. It's about 13" long from tip to tip of the tires.

Real nice and neat model Harry. You tend to build a little of everything.

Actually I didn't build it, it's a diecast model. All I did is add a little detail paint here and there, and added a more detailed spark plug, but otherwise this is straight out of the box.

• 4 weeks later...

I have all sorts of oddball stuff in my collection! :D

Notice how while it has a gas engine, it also still has pedals and a chain? Just in case... ^_^

Motorcycles actually did evolve from bicycles. They added small motors to bikes to pace the bicycle racers and it evolved from there. You can say that the pedals and cranks are vestigial.

Motorcycles actually did evolve from bicycles. They added small motors to bikes to pace the bicycle racers and it evolved from there. You can say that the pedals and cranks are vestigial.

From bikebandit.com...

The 1903 model Harley-Davidson was run by a single-cylinder 10.2-cubic-inch motor that drove the rear wheel with a leather belt and had a 1-1/8 inch bore and 3-1/2 inch stroke. The model kept the original bicycle pedals and chain so that the rider could pedal the bike until it was up to speed enough to start the engine. Next time your battery dies and you have to push start your engine, pretend that it's 1903 and starter systems haven't been invented yet. The pedals also had a second purpose. The tiny engine would have a hard time powering the motorcycle up hills and riders could use the pedals to add a little man-power to the engine to get themselves over steep inclinations.

Or in other words... just in case... :D

• 1 month later...