Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Scott... Thanks brother... I appreciate the kind words. Just wait to I add just a tad bit of detail to the tins. I hope when I add the rivets it will make it pop.

Brad... Thanks buddy....I gotta tell you that this body tin work was a challenge and I am ready for a break from it lol. Still debating what I should work on next.

Scott... Thanks brother... I appreciate the kind words. Just wait to I add just a tad bit of detail to the tins. I hope when I add the rivets it will make it pop.

Brad... Thanks buddy....I gotta tell you that this body tin work was a challenge and I am ready for a break from it lol. Still debating what I should work on next.

No pun intended, right? Rivets? pop? LOL

PS: I know what you meant... :)

Wow, now we have 100 Pages of Eye Candy in this thread B) B) B) !

Great job again, Chris. The Tin Work looks fantastic, parts fit really nicely together and once painted, I bet I can't see the difference between Real or Model. Great job!

I don't think there has on a build where we're yet to see any finish paint or a built engine. :D

Hee, hee, hee. 100 pages and Chris still hasn't finished his engine or put any color on his chassis and doesn't have any color on the body! Whoa. :o What a chop. I'm glad I didn't say that! :P

Niko.... Thanks buddy. I am sure there are some differences between this build and the 1:1 :lol:

Scott... Thanks Bud.... you know I have no clue what the longest thread is on here. I know Bill's all Aluminum cuda has more views than this and I am amazed at every time I look at that thread and his talent. It really makes me want to go out and buy my mini lathe and mini mill I want. But I have to wait because of the job situation right now :(

Brad... LOL that is probably so true about not having paint on anything...lol But i am getting closer I promise ;) . I did paint a couple things tonight

Danno... I will be getting lots of work done to this in the next few weeks for sure I promise ;) . I will show you what I did paint tonight :D

Well Fellas.... I know there have been a couple of you that I have told this to already but as of Friday I was laid off from my job. I was working for Honeywell Aerospace as a contractor (recently got my foot in the door with them been working there since December of last year) and well as a business and financial decision they had to let go of 2/3 of the contractors because of them losing funding on a project as well as trying to predict what the future months were gonna do. Anyway it stinks but Its giving me lots of time to work on this build and a few others. So I am going to enjoy a little time off and have some fun with this model.

Now that I am really close to having the tin work finished, Still have a few details to work on with it but I think that I will be able to paint the chassis here in the next week or two. My goal is for the next week but I need to do another once over on the chassis to make sure I have a few small blemishes taken care of and I can finally get the chassis in paint and get the rolling chassis done. I am also in the process of doing a spoon test with my Alclad chrome. I am going to be shooting a few spoons and spraying a few different clears over it to compare to a bare spoon of chrome. I have a clear gloss from Alclad as well as I picked up some some stuff call Aqua Gloss clear which is supposed to seal the chrome and not change the tint of it. so what better way to find out than do a spoon test. I will show the results when done.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Ok Fellas... a few pics to tease you with....

Here is a shot of my Scratch built tin work next to the kits tin work:

DP-Army-Vega3198-1_zpsabf90ad0.jpg

Here are the headers painted for the 3rd time and I am finally happy with it. I sprayed them with Alclad Gloss Black Base and then sprayed the Alclad Clear Flat over them:

DP-Army-Vega3201-1_zpsaeb9a3d4.jpg

Here is the first step in the process for my spoon test, I had scuffed some plastic spoons up with some scotch-brite and then primered, Wet Sanded with 1000 grit paper and have sprayed Alclads Gloss Black Base (part #ALC 305) and Tomorrow I will be spraying the chrome and polished Aluminum on the spoons. I am trying to see which exact color will be best for the valve covers, blower and Injector hat. i am also doing a test with different clears to seal the chrome so that it will be protected from touching it. The main reason is for the front Axle so that I know I won't rub the chrome off since the front axle is one location to pick this chassis up from:

DP-Army-Vega3204-1_zps71a120bb.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Brad.... I think I was staring to loose touch with my airbrush....lol but its like riding a bike...I didn't forget how :lol:

Danno... we are finally getting there buddy. Hopefully I have the chassis ready this weekend.

Scott.... Thanks buddy. Just wait til I get the detail of the rivets on the tin work then there will be no comparison between the two...lol :lol:

Ok so I was able to shoot some alclad on my spoons for a test. I think it turned out ok for the first time using it but I think there is major room for improvement for me. I still need to test the couple different clears on them but here is the stages they are in now.....

Chrome....

Alclad017-1Chrome2-3coatsnoclear_zps8190

Alclad018-1Chrome2-3coatsnoclear_zps6dd4

Polished aluminum (the 3 on the right) and Airframe aluminum (2 on the left)

Alclad012-1airframeAl2coatsPolished2coat

Alclad016-1aluminum2coatsnoclear_zps556a

Chris, Nice touch on the spoon test. I have used the aqua clear and it does a good job on sealing the chrome but I have had a small change to the shine when using the clear but it does protect the paint. Other clears will dull the shine.

Steve.. Thanks man... I was thinking other clears would do that

Dave... Thanks man.... Which two spoons you talking about the airframe aluminum or polished aluminum? The one thing I didn't mention when posted the photos. The 3 polished aluminum on the right...the one on the right only has 1 coat of pain and the other two has 2 as to why that one doesn't look the same. I would say the spoons look a little better in person and was happy with the results for the first time spraying them

The one on the far left (airframe) and the one on the far right (polished) look alike in the photo. Probably the way the light is hitting them. You're the one that can see the real deal, though. They all look good like John said. I've got to try some of the Alclad.

John... thanks brother!! I am planning on doing another set of tests with how you described to me. I appreciate the help since you are the Alclad master B)

Dave... You are right that the far left (airframe) and far right (Polished) look similar. What I can tell you is the one of the far right I only shot one coat on it versus the other polished ones I shot 2 coats. I wanted to see if there was a difference by the coats. it seems darker because you are seeing more of the black base under it. I will say this much that you definitely need a gloss base to bring the chrome out.

I had used Alclads black base and I am going to try some other tests with my HOK black base with urathane clear as well as using some Orchard Supply Hardware flat black with urathane clear over that to see if the results are any different than the Alclads black base. I still need to post pics of the products with the clears over the top of them.

Ok Fellas.... I did some more work on the tin work tonight. I am getting closer to having it wrapped up but still have a few more details. I added some more angle supports to the outer edges of the sides and came up with a way to basically pin the tin work in the body. I still need to do a little sanding to it as well as drill holes for the rivets that I will be putting in on it and I need to build the shroud piece that goes around the blower area up to the windshield. Anyway here is what I got done tonight.....

I started out by adding angle styrene to the sides of the tin work. I still need to add some pieces around the corner areas that you don't see angle at:

DP-Army-Vega3214-1_zps4034672a.jpg

Next I drilled holes for the locations of where I was going to create pins to locate the body tins in the body:

DP-Army-Vega3207-1_zps887ae910.jpg

After I drilled the holes in the tins, I placed the tin back in the body and transfer drilled the holes where I would put the pins in the body:

DP-Army-Vega3212-1_zps1265a43e.jpg

Here is what it looks like with the tins in place with the pins, I think I am going to add a very thin piece of plastic which will cover the pins up so you won't be able to see it:

DP-Army-Vega3218-1_zpsacae0985.jpg

Here is .040" dia Evergreen rod that I used for the pinning process. I have glued the pins into the body and will trim down:

DP-Army-Vega3221-1_zps1bd92f71.jpg

This pic was to just try and show that both sides were pinned:

DP-Army-Vega3223-1_zpsd5fe4fe3.jpg