Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya X-20A Thinner Replacement

I have recently gotten back into painting and wanted to get a 250 ml bottle of Tamiya X-20A thinner. The local hobby shop doesn't carry it (only the 23 ml bottles) and I wondered if there was a good substitute. In surfing the web, I found a lot of military and railroad modelers that use a variety of products from Windex to various alcohol mixes. Some interesting ideas but those guys usually don't care about shiny paint.

What are you guys using with Tamiya acrylic paint for thinner? Comments?

Thanks,

It's got more in it than alcohol, definitely not the same.

If you airbrush the acrylics often, if you can find the Tamiya lacquer thinner, you will probably prefer it. Or Gunze Mr. Color Thinner...both are actually perfect for mixing with the aqueous acrylics and make them flow out of the airbrush like "normal" paint.

Someone told me they had heard a Tamiya rep say that the lacquer thinner was developed not as an aid to people who decant their spray cans, but as a product that allowed their acrylics to flow more like lacquer or enamels. From my experience, that is exactly what it does. And it works very well with the decanted sprays (Tamiya and Testors lacquers) too.

All I use the X20 thinner anymore for is making paint washes. For airbrushing I use Mr. Color thinner or Tamiya lacquer thinner...

My local Hobbytown has the Tamiya lacquer thinner, and I see Mr. Color thinner at a lot of better hobby shops, both are available easily online. They seem identical...though you can get Mr. Color thinner w/a retarder as well, called "Mr. Leveling Thinner", which I believe would be best if you are shooting glossy acrylics.

And sometimes in a pinch, regular store-grade lacquer thinner or acetone may work with the Tamiya acrylics as well...I've tried it, sometimes it worked, other times it didn't. A quick test in a cup will tell you. I have no problem at all cleaning my airbrush of Tamiya acrylic w/lacquer thinner or acetone.

Ditto what Zoom said about Tamiya Laquer thinner.

I have had no luck with store grade laquer thinner and Tamiya paint. I never seem to find a match like Tamiya's own laquer thinner.

If it's a small piece or I'm in a hurry it's Windex for me baby.

G

G

What are you guys using with Tamiya acrylic paint for thinner? Comments?

Thanks,

The Tamiya thinner definitely has some (unknown) amount of toluene in it. For cleaning, I use a 50-50 mix of denatured alcohol and Windex. It cleans off all sorts of stuff; dirt, acrylic paints, and other organic materials.

Don't know what you might substitute for thinning your paint. Maybe piggyback a couple of bottles on a kit mail order?

Cheers,

Dave

It's got more in it than alcohol, definitely not the same....

Totally agree. It's actually pretty good thinner for brush painting, too. It seems to slow the drying. Alcohol actually makes the paint dry faster - not what you want for brush painting.

All I use the X20 thinner anymore for is making paint washes.

Me, too. I haven't found anything better for washes. That's one thing you can't use the lacquer thinner for!