Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Scott... Thanks brother...I have started the assembly process. Got the body pivot mount back on and trying to figure if I should glue the master cylinder in so I can mount the rear end in next Iol. Hope to have some pics up later

Chris,

I forgot to ask, how did you connect the rear part of the chassis to your paint stand? The angle you shot your picture covered up the connection. Again nice job. Can't wait to see it together. Its going to be outstanding

Darryl... Thanks man. The paint stand worked great. I think I should of made the height just a tad taller

Steve... I mounted it the same way as the front and used my lower rear end mount point to screw the bolts into.

Dave... Thank you sir!! I feel its a huge milestone at this point :D . I can't wait to get more of it done now.

Good Morning Fellas... little update from what I worked on yesterday. I started assembling a few items on to the chassis. I also had to make some adjustments to get the rear end in place by lightly sanding the mounting spots for the rear end. I Had to of worked on that for a couple hours because I was taking my time not to mess up the paint anywhere. But got it all done and was able to get it mounted. On with the pictures...

Here is the Chassis sitting on TDRs jack stands. Don't mind the jack stands just have a quick coat of primer on them. I will be sanding them and painting them:

DP-Army-Vega3306-1_zpsea6f14f7.jpg

Here I glued in the Master Cylinder to the chassis and added the bolt hardware, Now I can make the final portion of the break line that will go from the master cylinder to the "T" Fitting on the rear end:

DP-Army-Vega3308-1_zps59e5b7c9.jpg

Here are the body mounting pads mounted to the rear of the chassis, Now I am debating should I use the Nickle Silver bolts (representing Grade 5 bolts) like I did on the master cylinder or leave it with the brass (representing Grade 8 Bolts)?? Let me know your thoughts:

DP-Army-Vega3309-1_zps1254d460.jpg

Here is a shot from the rear trying to show the contrast between the chassis and rear end colors:

DP-Army-Vega3316-1_zpsc073631c.jpg

Chris.......I think we all know now.......why it has taken you so long ........that is is the only way you can achieve perfection......it all shows in this build.......that is something I will never be able to achieve. :( ........BEAUTIFUl work little brother........you should be very proud. :)

Danno... Thanks buddy! .... Gotcha speechless huh. ;)

John...thanks my Big Brother... I don't see this a perfection but I am honored you are saying it is. You have set that bar way up there for all of us builders. I think you receive perfection with your builds because they are always top notch with beautiful detail and flawless paint. I will say this I am very proud of this and now seeing the paint and how great it turned out. even though there are a few spots on the chassis that could look better I am still happy with it. I feel I have reached a big milestone with getting this chassis painted and am super excited to get more of it assembled. I now only wish I could get the results you do with alcad. I Did prep some more spoons with the HOK back base and urethane clear and gonna do another Alclad spoon test in hopes of receiving better results with these ones based this way and trying your method. Then I will Alclad the front Axle so I can get the rolling chassis done. :)

Wow, your work really shows! The chassis could be real in natural environment, it sure looks real in those pics too! The combination of painted frame and completed rear axle is stunning...WOW is not enough to tell how nice it looks, but that's all that comes to my mind. Great work, as always.

Niko.... Thank you for the kind words. It is nice seeing it coming together. I can't wait to get more stuff on the chassis.

Daniel... Thanks. Since I have been laid off its given me a little more time at the model bench...lol

Scott.... Thanks bud I really appreciate your opinion on this.

Tyrone... Thanks man, it finally feels like I am getting somewhere with this build.

Bill.... Thanks buddy. I can't tell you how stoked I am with having the chassis painted. Now I just want to add more to it but I need to think out what parts I need to put on in first so I don't paint myself into a corner so to speak lol.. I am hoping to Alclad the front axle tomorrow then I can permanently mount the front axle.

Morning Fellas.... I have a quick little update with a few pics from yesterday. I didn't get a whole lot done but I had one hurdle in the way before I could call mounting the rear end in permanently., which was getting the brake line bend out of .015" dia music wire. I also need to get the coupling painted to get it mounted in the rear end as well. Here are the pics

Here is the brake line mocked up in the chassis with out the "B" nuts on the line:

DP-Army-Vega3328-1_zps4422c119.jpg

Here is where the brake line ties into the "T" Fitting, the "B" nuts still need to be added:

DP-Army-Vega3325-1_zps6f436f8e.jpg

Here is the fuel line with the "B" nuts:

DP-Army-Vega3332-1_zps5d65ca47.jpg

I also got the decals on the oil filters:

DP-Army-Vega3333-1_zps21c69deb.jpg

Incredible work....Have been following this build for over a year now and it always inspires me to go further with my own modeling and has been a source of many ideas.

Chris, one question; On the oil filters, I was kind of surprised to see the WiX brand logo....Would have thought a Prudhomme car from the early 70's would have used either Fram or Lee filters, which were very prominent at the time....Not that it matters any, because the workmanship is outstanding!!....Was just curious as to your choice....Maybe Prudhomme actually did use WIX filters on this car??....Either way, outstanding work on this....

Hey Lee... Thanks for the Kind words on this build and for following along. If you have any questions on anything feel free to ask and you are more than welcome to save any of the pics for reference. Regarding the oil filters I have to agree with you that I don't think he used Wix. I will be honest and Wix was the only oil filter decals I was able to find on any of my 1/16th drag decals from slixx I had. Maybe I need to look up some frame and Lee Filters to see if they had any in white. I may need to talk to someone and see if they can draw up some different oil filter decals for me. I am half tempted to take the wix decal off but I thought it would look funny with just a plain white filter with no decal. Here is one of the only reference pics I had to go from on the oil filter.

If anyone has any thoughts or comments on what brand of oil filter you think is in this pic I have posted below, let me know. Thanks

Army-34copy_zpsbf5462b8.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Niko... thank you on the compliments on the brake lines. It only took me two tries to make it right this time... :lol: ..... I had made an initial one from some soft wire to get a general shape and then took me only 2 tries with the music wire.