Model Cars Magazine Forum

2011 Le Mans recap

It was a great race. I caught all 24 of it, much to the annoyance of my girlfriend, and thought it was one of the better races I have seen. Granted all of the last few years has been really great. The race didn't go without having issues though very little to do with the actual race though.

The AM class has to go. Guys with ZERO night racing experience on the track. Guys who have never endurance raced. Guys who had less than 50 total races on their resume. Their are so many great road course racers and endurance racers that don't get a ride for this race and what do teams do. They go out and get Michael Waltrip. What a joke. "I'm out there for the experience" "I'm just turning laps and enjoying the race I know I'm not out their to win" What???? this is the biggest auto race in the world are you kidding me. This isn't your start and park Nationwide team Michael. This the big time. Grow up and drive. You spent every second on tv sounding like an idiot and your driving didn't make you look any better. I could have done exactly what he did. Everyone on this forum could have done what he did. You know whats sad Patrick Dempsey did better than him and Patrick has less than a 10th the experience Michael has.

Speed coverage sucks. They spent the whole time dumming everything down for the American viewer and every time they went to "Talk to the fans" all they did was make Americans look stupid. I spent over half the race with the TV muted and listening to Radio Le Mans. Only two announcers had any sort of clue what they were doing and one of them obviously didn't even want to be their. Which I don't blame him. And what was with the comments about the track being lit up better than Daytona for the Rolex 24? Daytona looks like Midday with all the lights they put up Le Mans has miles of track where the only lights are your headlights. Geezus guys you don't even have a clue what your talking about.

The camera situation. Seriously French TV you can buy static cameras for like 200 bucks and just put them around the track for the night. Or put more cameras in cars. Or have automatic cameras that are controlled buy the guys in the comm. truck. Seriously no reason to not have coverage of the whole track. I will admit though the traffic cameras were awesome. The the city/government that let them use them I say thank you it was really neat.

Anyway I could list off the few other things that really bugged me but I am just glad that again we in America could see the whole race. Maybe next year Speed will try harder.

Congrats to Audi and the other class winners.

Edited by ra7c7er

Maybe next year Speed will try harder.

Congrats to Audi and the other class winners.

:lol:

Speed will never try harder. Ever. Worst excuse for a car channel ever. They don't know anything but "dumbed-down" because of the audience they think they're playing to, and that's all I'm going to say on that subject B)

It was a great race...when it wasn't under caution. Way too many inexperienced drivers, but McNish is definitely experienced and his wreck was his fault.

Great race..I was out of town, but managed to follow along on Twitter and watched some at a friend's house in Denver Saturday. Watched some footage last night that I had tiVoed from Speed.

Too many races this past weekend...I tiVoed the Indy Car and F1 races, going to watch them over the next couple of evenings..

I didn't have a big problem with the SPEED coverage, and evidently they had big criticisms about the French TV feed where all those guys went to bed for the night and just left the cameras on. But did they ever do anything on the Legends race? I was watching all through normal human viewing hours (okay, I slept from 2 am to 7 am) and never saw anything about it.

Edited by sjordan2

I didn't have a big problem with the SPEED coverage, and evidently they had big criticisms about the French TV feed where all those guys went to bed for the night and just left the cameras on. But did they ever do anything on the Legends race? I was watching all through normal human viewing hours (okay, I slept from 2 am to 7 am) and never saw anything about it.

The tv coverage drops every year. It just annoys me because they could do things to get cameras on the track without camera men operating them. I did think Speed bringing it up 10 times an hour was a bit excessive.

I want to say they had that funky car in the picture on Top Gear last season. They didn't drve it from what I remember, don't remember the name or manufacturer either ( possibly Renualt?).

I only watched a few hours of the race, it was really good but the F1 qualifying came on and that comes first for me (favorite motorsport). But I do have the end of the race DVR'd and plan watching it later.

This will help! It is in three parts Eurosport TV carried it but it was on at 4am EST :unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UlDCbGVikM