Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foreign Vehicle build (Started)

martinfan5

Paul nice couple you got there. Now just go on and make the whole grid for 2009 DTM :lol:

Thanks Patrik. I might make a couple more but two in two months is enough for now ;)

Your Amazon has inspired me, I would like to try something similar myself. Having seen the DTM kits first hand, I can appreciate the work you are putting into it :o .

Thanks Patrik. I might make a couple more but two in two months is enough for now ;)

Yup your right might be enough for now

Your Amazon has inspired me, I would like to try something similar myself. Having seen the DTM kits first hand, I can appreciate the work you are putting into it :o .

Thank you man. Some times it s just feels i might have take a little bit of too much water over my head. But yeah go ahead and do something wild on your own. And i guess im getting there to slowly but seady towards the end of it wiht my build. But yeah nice to hear that i been able to inspire some one:)

Thank you man. Some times it s just feels i might have take a little bit of too much water over my head. But yeah go ahead and do something wild on your own. And i guess im getting there to slowly but seady towards the end of it wiht my build. But yeah nice to hear that i been able to inspire some one:)

I too get in over my head sometimes, you should see my unfinished projects/ideas in the 'too hard' pile :D. I tend to build OOB with kitbashing (chassis, engines, wheels etc) to improve my skills. I don't really have the confidence to attempt what you are doing, but who knows, maybe my next DTM will be a curbside so I can use the drivetrain for something like your Amazon - if you don't mind me copying your idea ;).

Great looking racers, Paul. I've thought about building a few of those, but all the decal work is too much for me. I really admire anybody that can build those, and finish them that nice.

E

Erik - Thanks for that, but I am just an average builder compared with others on this forum. In my post of the Audi in the 'Under Glass' section I tried to convey how much I enjoyed building this model. I can highly recommend the kit, it really is easy to put together and was one of my most satisfying builds. (Another is the 1948 Ford Coupe which I built immediately prior to the Audi - both kits were finished in about a week, way faster than my usual time).

The decals are made by Cartograph, are easy to apply and need no trimming prior to application. Yes, there are a lot but I put aside a couple of evenings and take my time.

Rob - how can my stash match yours if you keep buying kits? :lol:

If you do go ahead, let me know and I will point out a couple of things about the build.

Cheers

Paul

Looking good, I really enjoyed building mine, this is really a great kit.

Paul are up to another Merc build off in the foregin CBP, I have the SLR Mclaren waiting for me to start it

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for the challenge :)

I'm back at work tomorrow, so progress will be slower but it sounds like fun.

Of course, I could always use the SLR I built a couple of years ago ^_^

MercSLR1.jpgCheers

Paul

Paul, tell you what I will wait tell you are ready to get started, now that would be cheated as its alredy finihsed :lol: , nice build, thats about what I am going to do with mine, thinking black with red interior. What color is that?, it looks almost like gunmetal .

I thinking about changing out the kit tires, adding a front spiltter or spoiler, rear defusfer maybe, do know you what size the kit wheels are? 19inch or 20?

Paul, tell you what I will wait tell you are ready to get started, now that would be cheated as its alredy finihsed :lol: , nice build, thats about what I am going to do with mine, thinking black with red interior. What color is that?, it looks almost like gunmetal .

I thinking about changing out the kit tires, adding a front spiltter or spoiler, rear defusfer maybe, do know you what size the kit wheels are? 19inch or 20?

It was worth a try eh Jonathan? :D.

You are right, mine is painted with Tamiya (rattlecan as always) Dark Gunmetal and Mica Red on the seats, with dullcote IIRC. I was going to paint mine metallic black, so your colour scheme is a good call B).

It's a great kit to build, Bob Downie did a review in the Feb 2007 SAE.

I measured the wheels on my kit as best I could, the are almost 22mm across the rim, which is equivalent to 21 inch at 1/24 scale. So I did a quick internet search which confirms(!) they are 19 inch http://www.lescinemasdusud.org/slr.html

There is a huge car show here in Auckland next weekend at which my model club has a display each year. I will be busy from Thursday evening thru Sunday evening so won't get much chance to start the AMG SLS until the week after.

I did get the kit out this morning and had a good look at the P/E sheet, or should I say sheets, there are 3 of them with over 100 parts :o. Getting my head and fingers round that lot will slow me down even more!

I doubt I will use them all, but will wait and see how the paintjob turns out before deciding :rolleyes:. Tamiya Pearl White is my first choice at the moment with black spokes on the kit 'chrome' wheels.

Paul

Paul, thats fine, I am got myself into a build off contest on another forum, so I need to start work on that, so maybe say we could start ours in two or three weeks, sound good?. I want to get a set of wheels for it , and maybe a P/E set as well, so I need some time for those as well. Thanks for getting the info on the wheels and tires for, I tired looking it the info up , but could not come up with anything useful, I didnt look hard enough.

I like your idea with the black wheels, and with the white paint job, it will look really good. Have you thought about what interior colors you are going to do?.

Here is the one I did

amg1-2.jpg

amg5-1.jpg

Wow that's nice Jonathan :wub:. I guess those are the kit wheels painted gunmetal??

Most of the interior shots I saw on the 'net were red/black so I might have to do my interior similar to yours, it looks great with the blue.

Seems a good idea to let you get the parts together before we kick off in a week or so.

Edited by maltsr

Paul, no I did not paint the wheels gunmetal, I paited them aluminam , but in the light they look do like gunmetal. I had problems to finding good interior pics, so I went on the mercedes website and played around with the interior options part .

I am not 100% sure if I am going to get the P/E set, it just depends if I can find thats not more then what I paid for the kit :huh: , I already have the wheels picked out, going to get a set of hobby design wheels. Speaking of wheels Paul, you are 100% right about the wheel size, I took one the wheels and put into a 19inch tire and it fits perfectly. :D

I found these on eBay Jonathan

The first is in the US but not as comprehensive as the second one from Hong Kong.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item45ef102e80 $32.55 inc shipping

http://www.ebay.com/...=item58915acbd6 $29 inc shipping

The third one is actually for the 722 version, but it looks as though many parts will suit the basic version. It is $20.40 including shipping from China. This is the seller I got my AMG SLS photoetch from - no hassles.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a6868fd9d

Edited by maltsr

Paul, it still looks good, better with the mirrors on now :P .

I am going to be getting busy in here, I am getting a few builds lined up for this one, I will give you a hint as to whats to come, a lambo, another ferrari, and plus the merc for the build off between Paul and myself, plus a few more as well.