Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg '34 Ford Roadster Pickup

Chuck Most

I had never seen this kit before, so when my LHS got four of them, I bought one (and later, a second).

First off- don't expect it to be nearly as detailed or accurate as Lindberg's OTHER '34 Pickup. The RPU is almost grossly oversimplified, but is loaded with potential.

The castings are pretty nice- there really isn't all that much flash for a kit tool this old. The door lines are upraised on the cab- I cut new door lines into the body of mine... this alone really helps the model look better, despite the molded in seat.

The wheels are chromed- that's the good news. The bad news is there are four very prominent ejector pin marks in the outer circumfrence of the rim, smoothing them will destroy the chrome unless you choose to run the optional Moon discs.

The engine is a vastly oversimplified early Hemi, and there are two frames provided- one with the fenders molded onto it, and one without. The "fenderless" frame also features an optional dropped front axle.

The kit goes together easily and quickly- just keep an eye on what flash, molding marks, and cast-in part numbers there are and you'll be find. Using fast-dry primers as a finish, I had the first one done in one afternoon, built box stock. And that second kit? Well, now that I know the lay of the land of this kit, THAT one will certainly not be a box-stocker...

I picked one of these up years ago at a swap meet. About the only thing that is usable is the wire wheels. You'll have to dechrome them as you'll need to do some work to make them look good but that's about it for the high points of the kit. As Lyle indicated it's an old Palmer offering. So, expect the detail level to be early '60s, not that that you would like to see from a "new" kit.

Do not get the '32 RPU and the "32 full cab mixed up with the old AMT now Lindberg '34 Pickup. The only thing the 3 have in common is being released by Lindberg.

Edited by Fletch

Ya- one of the reasons I did not post pictures is because my build looks just like the box art truck- except in a red oxide and black primer spray job and with the chrome wheels painted. And, yeah, the rescribed door lines. I'll gladly post a photo if you want to see it, but I figured the space would be better utilized by seeing what cool ways YOU guys can think of as uses for this kit... besides, you know, like a doorstop or something.

• 3 years later...