Model Cars Magazine Forum

The SuperDuster

Custom Mike

And the last update for tonight, I promise!. At this point I still haven't tried fitting the firewall in place, so that may cause more issues, we'll see what happens when I get there, hopefully it goes smoothly. I had to abandon the steering shaft and box, they just won't fit around the exhaust either. But it wasn't all bad, I got started on the glass, redoing the window foil, and did a quick mock-up again to see how it all looked, so far it's looking good as long as you don't dig around in the engine compartment!

The side windows had some small holes drilled in them, and a pair of straight pins installed to simulate the window opening latch, then a bit of foil was applied.
SuperDuster196-vi.jpg

And the mock-up, I like the way she sits now!
SuperDuster197-vi.jpg

Great work, Mike. Way to stick with it and make it all fit. Sometimes I feel like I'm a scale me walking around my project with a scale BFH, other times a surgeon. lol. We do what we gotta do, right?! :D

You got that right Christoper, and I like swinging that BFH around sometimes, it helps to ease the frustration! :wacko::blink:

• 2 weeks later...

This one's not dead yet guys, I just haven't had time to work on it lately. I did find that the back seat/package shelf is up too high, so I've got to find a way to get it back down, and possibly add a bit to the back edge, but I won't be sure of that until I get it at the correct level. Hopefully I'll have some updates on it this weekend, wish me luck!

SuperDuster198-vi.jpg

Thanks Jonathan! OK, we have solved the problem with the rear package shelf, and it took all day to get it right! I started out by using my panel scriber to cut a groove at the point where the rear seat and package shelf meet. I got the package shelf to about half it's normal thickness, then ran some Tamiya cement to the groove, softening the plastic enough to bend it downward....

SuperDuster200-vi.jpg

I still had a big gap to the window, so I cut a pair of .030 strips, and glued them to the back of the package shelf....

SuperDuster201-vi.jpg

SuperDuster202-vi.jpg

Still not enough, I've test-fit it about 20 times at this point, I've gotten really good at getting the chassis into the body by now!
SuperDuster203-vi.jpg

We have our 3rd .030 strip added, let's see how it looks now....

SuperDuster204-vi.jpg

Much better, I can work with this!

SuperDuster205-vi.jpg

A bit of sanding to get the strips to match the package shelf...

SuperDuster206-vi.jpg

And a quick coat of Flat Black, not bad, but I've gotta do something about that nasty seam!

SuperDuster207-vi.jpg

SuperDuster208-vi.jpg

And here's the fix for the seam, more embossing powder! I masked off the speakers and the rest of the chassis, and laid down a nice coat of embossing powder, the seam is now gone, another problem solved, all I have left now is the foil on the sides and door handles, side windows, gluing the front wheels on, adding the P.E locks, back bumper, and the valve cover bolts and she'll be finished!

SuperDuster209-vi.jpg

SuperDuster210-vi.jpg

SuperDuster211-vi.jpg

SuperDuster212-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How is this one coming Mike?

At this rate Sam is gonna finish that 75 Nova before you finish this lol

James, you know as well as I do that I'm gonna finish this before Sam finishes the NOVA!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

B)

Nice problem solving Mike, very clever!

Looking real sharp!

Where did You get your scriber from, I am looking to get one.

What and where did you get the embossing powder from too?

Thank You for sharing with Us here.

Later

Russ

^_^

Russ, I picked it up from Hayes Hobby House in Fayetteville, NC, but I'm sure you can find it online somewhere, just look for a Trumpeter Panel Scriber, you'll love it! The embossing powder came from Michaels, but any arts & crafts store should carry the stuff.

I've gotten tiny bits of work done on this, but nothing worthy of being posted yet, I hope I can get some done tonight, we'll see!

Edited by Custom Mike

OK, let's bring this baby up to speed again. I got my side window in place on the driver's side and did a quick test-fit with the chassis and interior to make sure I didn't have any issues, thankfully it fit like a glove! I didn't get so lucky with the six-pack air cleaner though, it was still a bit too tall. So I cut a huge groove i the bottom of it, and it finally fits and allows the hood to close properly. Then I got all the foil work done, all that's left now is the door handles, PE locks, front tires and back bumper and this baby will be done! If the on-call phone settles down tomorrow, I might be able to finish her off!

SuperDuster214-vi.jpg

SuperDuster216-vi.jpg

SuperDuster213-vi.jpg

SuperDuster217-vi.jpg

SuperDuster218-vi.jpg

SuperDuster219-vi.jpg

SuperDuster220-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, we have an update...with pictures even!

I got the chassis and body mated, exhaust mounted, and then got the front tires in place. Then I found that the master cylinder would not go where it was supposed to, since the 496 is in the way! So I added a drop of superglue to the newly smoothed back side of the master cylinder, and put it up higher on the firewall. And after test-fitting the air cleaner for the 1000th time, I still need to trim a bit more!
SuperDuster221-vi.jpg

I've got a bit of touch-up to do on the oil pan, way too much handling of the engine wore the paint off!
SuperDuster226-vi.jpg

Rear bumper in place, it's getting close now!
SuperDuster222-vi.jpg

The new location master cylinder, this may impact the valve cover bolts you wanted Sam, we'll see!
SuperDuster223-vi.jpg

And the *%#@ air cleaner, this thing is gonna kill me!
SuperDuster224-vi.jpg