Model Cars Magazine Forum

Co2 gas as propellant for airbrush

What kind of container will the co2 be in? If it's some little cartidge or can it probably won't be worth it but if you are getting it in a large container with a regulator you might be on to something. I have heard of people who live in apartments and don't want the sound of an air compressor running but still need to air brush using small nitrogen bottles from a welding supply store. The tanks are fairly cheap to refill and last for a good while.

Edited by Fat Brian

It sounds like you have what you need to get started. I would still use a secondary air brush style regulator with at least a filter but your cylinder should work fine as long as it holds a couple hundred pounds of pressure. It needs to be high enough over your cut pressure to keep a steady regulated pressure as the main tank pressure drops. I apologize if that is confusing, I work with high pressure gas and it makes sense to me but I know what I'm trying to say. Let me say this, once set to a specific downstream pressure most regulators require the upstream pressure to remain constant. If the upstream(tank) pressure drops too far the downstream(air brush) pressure will begin to drop also.

CO2 can be gotten in 25lb bottles from just about any beverage wholesaler. You will need a pressure regulator made for use with the extremely high psi in one of those commercial bottles, plus a good quality pressure regulator to reduce the pressure for use with an airbrush.

CO2 is a dry gas, no moisture whatsoever, so no water trap will be necessary, and as the gas is also clean, no filter will be necessary either (after all, beverage CO2 is a food grade gas).

One thing to keep in mind though,is safety! Break that brass valve off, and your CO2 tank will behave like a rocket--I experienced that at a McDonald's where I was a manager years ago--that bottle (50lbs) fell over, knocked the valve system off of the top, and it shot across the storeroom, and punched a hole in the concrete basement wall. So, secure the tank upright, with a length of light weight chain so that it cannot fall over.

Those tanks generally are sold on a returnable basis, a deposit on the tank, and quite possibly on the valve and regulator as well--in effect, you only pay for the gas used.

Art

Guest G Holding

Few facts. Cylinders for compressed gasses can be bought, leased or rented. Leasing usually works out the best vs owning. This is due to the cost of the cylinder,and all cylinders must be "hydro checked" every 10 years or so. Initial cost can be pricy...check what works the best. All cylinders can be refilled...not on site though Also if you lease they will lease a regulator also...do the math, I did and thats why I have a compressor. My wife has run the office of a welding gas supplier for many years and she does the numbers.

Based on Rich's post he might be able to refill the bottle for free. But Greg is right about the cost and the testing requirements of the tanks, unless there are special circumstances like trying to be quiet a compressor will be cheaper in the long run, unless of course you can refill for free.

Edited by Fat Brian