Model Cars Magazine Forum

More on the Uncertain Tee

• 2 years later...

And WHY is this such an 'unobtainium" it? Can't Monogran just reverse engineer it? For the amount of money some folks are willing to pay for this rascal, I'd think it'd be a pretty decent seller.

I think it all has to do with copyright stuff - isn't there something with Steve Scott and licensing or???

Casey's link to the Coffin Corner explains a lot. Per my most recent contact with Steve ( last year ) he wants the Tee done up "right" in styrene. Not having had the kit since the 60's i dont know of any issues in the original. Steve acknowledges that he got hosed by Revell-o-gram, and will not contact them. He wants to find someone to do the kit for him. Based upon the "ballparked" figures, it would take 10000 kits at $25 a pop to break even. Not sure if that's feasible based upon the niche market for this.

This subject is sorta like the Jo Han threads, it keeps resurfacing! :lol:

Edited by Draggon

Based upon the "ballparked" figures, it would take 10000 kits at $25 a pop to break even. Not sure if that's feasible based upon the niche market for this.

I don't see a model kit of a '60s oddball custom with a crooked roof being a popular seller today, despite how fondly some remember it. It certainly has a good story behind it, and those Monogram whitewall pie crust slicks and Torq Thrust wheels would've been welcome once again as donor material.

Two links, one current http://www.stevescottsuncertaint.com/main.html (from the creator of the subject) and one from more than four years ago (2009) http://coffincorner.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=print&thread=10786 ( not unlike many post here, full of second, third hand information), interesting. ;)

10,000 kits? This seems like a small number when compared to so many kit releases. :huh:

A " '60's oddball custom with a crooked roof " ? How is this any different from any other '60's era custom? Say a '32' Ford two door sedan with a cantilevered roof? 105279868-260x260-0-0_Monogram+Monogram+ and look, you can get the Monogram whitewall piecrust slicks and Torq Thrust wheels right here. :D

Steve acknowledges that he got hosed by Revell-o-gram, and will not contact them.

That's downright silly since the Revell of those days is not the Revell of today. It's changed hands many times and it's a completely different company today. Steve would be doing himself right to allow Revell to redo the kit. In fact, with Round 2 still just reissuing old kits, Revell is the only game in town. From what I saw, he's stuck in the past, still trying to wring a living out of something he did 40 years ago.

A " '60's oddball custom with a crooked roof " ? How is this any different from any other '60's era custom?

The Uncertain T has always been unique, even when lumped in with the wild show cars of the '60s from Roth, the Barris brothers, Starbird, Jeffries, Casper, and so on. I understand it was new, fresh, and stood out in '62(?) when it first was shown, but I don't see it having nearly as much appeal now, even among the older crowd.

One of the Coffin Corner forum posts made it sound like the tooling was scrapped in the late '70s "house cleaning" Monogram did, so if Revell would need to create all-new tooling to release a new Uncertain T kit...I don't see that happening just based on projected sales. Tom Daniel kits? Yes. Steve Scott's one kit? Sorry, no. His name doesn't have the same recognition as Roth and Daniel, his body of work is miniscule in comparison, and he nor his vehicle haven't been relevant for over 50 years. No offense, but the Uncertain T had it's time and place, and that time has passed, and his place taken by other customizers/designers.

I could have bought one for next to nothing, but for what? Bragging rights that I have one? It is a wacky car to add to the collction, but would I ever really build it or just hoard it?

I have purchased every Tom Daniels re-issue and a couple of originals and, barring the Bad Man and Red Barron, I have yet to start gluing any of them together. Even the formerly coveted Rommel's Rod and Tijuana Taxi! Now they I have them they just sit there.

This is a niche car for sure and Steve would be in a better spot dealing with the new Revell Regime to get it released as a Selected Subjects kit.

So who decides which vintage kits have "had their time and place" ? I think one would be hard pressed to say any of these kits are current other than their reissue status. 85-4939.jpg "Their time being passed" certainly seems to be what does indeed make them relevant. As for "Tom Danials kits VS Steve Scott's one kit, there are many other

one off kits on the market
amt-depth-charger-aqua-rod-car.jpg

and many wish lists.

AMTXR6box.jpg

No offense, but just from the interest here and several articles in the automotive press I'd say no one can be certain about the future of the Uncertain T. :lol:

Edited by Greg Myers

I could have bought one for next to nothing, but for what? Bragging rights that I have one? It is a wacky car to add to the collction, but would I ever really build it or just hoard it?

I have purchased every Tom Daniels re-issue and a couple of originals and, barring the Bad Man and Red Barron, I have yet to start gluing any of them together. Even the formerly coveted Rommel's Rod and Tijuana Taxi! Now they I have them they just sit there.

This is a niche car for sure and Steve would be in a better spot dealing with the new Revell Regime to get it released as a Selected Subjects kit.

So why did you buy all of those Tom Daniel kits ? :D

I WOULD BUY ONE OR MORE OF THIS IF IT WERE OUT AGEN ,I STILL SAY THIS IS THE COOLEST CAR EVER MADE!AND YES I KNOW IT IS ONLY A SHOW CAR ,BUT FOR WHAT IT IS AND HOW IT WAS MADE AND BY A YONG MAN IN SCHOOL [COLLEGE ] I JUST CAN NOT GET OVER HOW COOL IT IS, JUST MY FEELINGS ,