Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:16 Scale Revell 1934 3 window Coupe !

fractalign

Hey Guys.

This has been an on again off again build. I have been after one of these kits for years and picked this one up on Ebay late last year. While I liked the kit over all, I decided to make a few changes. I always thought it was strange that a kit this size did not have separate doors like the Mini craft Model A kits. So I cut them out. I also cut the centre of the roof out and raised the roof back to stock height. I will be making a separate cowl vent and deckled as well. My idea with this build is to recreate an early seventies gasser style hot rod. In order for that to happen I will be ditching the eighties style interior, dash and firewall and scratch building my own. The independent front end will also have to go. I will be scratch building a tubular front end and radius rods in order for it to sit up high. The small block Chev will be going as well. In its place will sit an Ardun equipped side valve.

P9200137_zpsa65f3e21.jpg

Hey guys.

Thanks for the feedback.

Here is an idea of what I am chasing with this build. I won't be using most of the parts that came with this kit because i am trying too recreate an early seventies look. One thing I will be keeping with this kit are these wheels. For a late eighties kit I was surprised and pleased they did not produce it with a set of billets wheels. I am pretty sure the tourer version of this kit had them so am more than pleased with these ones.

P9210166_zps17c8c644.jpg

Thats no problem, it would be cool to seek more of the 1:16 scale 34's being built. Once I have completed the modifications with this one I am thinking of the casting the body too with a full traditional style interior and dash. Not too many stock height 34 kits out there. Maybe a Roadster or Cabriolet version will be cast further down the track.

Cheers.

• 8 months later...

Hey Guys.

I have been thinking about kicking this one off again. I had a very serious car accident about a month after my last post that left me with a broken wrist. And since the beginning of the year I have been trying to wrap another project up. As for this one I have come up with a few more ideas. I have decided to turn it into a street gasser and I will be swapping the small block Chev for a Hillborn Injected Hemi or even an Arden equipped side valve. I will be running a straight tubular front axle as well. Anyway I hope I can make some time to get this one started again.

• 5 months later...

Robert/Stray,

Thanks for giving me the inspiration to go after this kit and build the hot rod of my dreams!

I discovered this site while looking for reviews of the newly released Revell Starsky & Hutch model to add to my collection. I had one of the factory editions back in ’76 and had her for years before selling it in a moment of stupidity. When the S&H movie came out in 2004 I decided it was time to fulfill the promise I made to myself the day my Torino rolled away to have another and I am currently building a clone of the season 2-4 Hero Torinos (I know the individuals who own the two Hero cars from the series). While looking thru all the various builds on the site, I came across your thread on the 1:16 scale Revell ’34 three window project…..

Was on a Wednesday night back in 74(?) that a black flamed hot rod streaked across the screen of my our TV promoting an ABC Movie of the Week that would be coming on next that the hook was set. I stayed transfixed on the couch eagerly awaiting the movie to begin and when the Kid rolled across the bridge into town, a desire to get my own hot rod was burned into my teenage brain. Thru the years I once had a chance to buy a glass ’34, but it was unchopped and yellow, so I passed on the car but the dream has always stayed with me. I now own the movie on DVD (and Blu-ray) as well as having a 1/24 scale DM replica under glass on my shelf, but the only one in my garage is the Monogram ’34 I built back in the day using a Hot Rod magazine article as reference for the flames and other details.

While my search continues for an unbuilt Revell 7474 kit, I did pick up an amateur built glue bomb on eBay for a few bucks that I’m currently slowly deconstructing back down to the basic parts so I can build a 1/16 scale replica of The California Kid as seen on the ABC movie of the week. I going to build it to match what Pete Chapouris did back in ’73 (old school suspension) and adding the wheels and side pipes as seen on TV. I also plan on cutting the doors to open as well as adding the cowl vent, hinged windshield and maybe a rumble seat instead of the trunk!??

Are either of you aware of a source for 1/16 scale ’34 parts? My kit bomb was missing the grill and I will also need some wheels, tire, Ford 302 engine and automatic, as well as old school style suspension pieces. I appreciate any parts leads and look forward to the next installments of your inspiring builds!! :wub:

Sorry for being so long winded……….. :rolleyes:

Edited by J007KLEIN
removed white space

• 4 weeks later...

.... Once I have completed the modifications with this one I am thinking of the casting the body too with a full traditional style interior and dash.

... Being such a large kit will mean that it will be easier to reproduce the inner detail such as the door skins and door jams. I will also be creating a working cowl vent. Next task though will be to finish of the door frames.

Cheers.

Robert,

Any more progress on your build? I now have my Revell glue bomb deconstructed as well as an unbuilt 7474 kit that the doors have already been cut out as well as the Minicraft red hot rod kit for the more traditional suspension bits. Really eager to see how you create the door jambs and window frames, working cowl vent as well as the stock dash and interior panels!

THANKS

Robert,

Any more progress on your build? I now have my Revell glue bomb deconstructed as well as an unbuilt 7474 kit that the doors have already been cut out as well as the Minicraft red hot rod kit for the more traditional suspension bits. Really eager to see how you create the door jambs and window frames, working cowl vent as well as the stock dash and interior panels!

THANKS

Don't hold your breath, I don't this bloke never finishes anything

Edited by Frank