Model Cars Magazine Forum

Freightliner WF4864 cabover update

Here is a mockup of the progress I've made so far as of last night. The cab still needs the sleeper front wall, rear cab wall, and the left rear corner to be completed. I finally got brave started the cab at least :lol: . The engine still needs a few things, mainly the lines. As for the frame, there are still some very challenging globs of paint to remove, but I'm doing that slowly to protect the plastic from constant exposure to the paint remover. There is a long way to go, but at least it's underway.

cabandsleepermodifications004.jpg

Tim, you are absolutely right about that. This is my first major "plastic surgery". The frame, drom box, and trailer will probably be the easiest portions of this build. The engine wasn't too bad. I knew this would be a tough build, but I had to do this truck. It's so different. I would like to try the Peterbilt version eventually. I at least have a line drawing for it, and a spare 352 cab I'm not sure what to do with.

Ray,

Just occured to me. Did the cab tilt on this model of Freightliner? Or was it fixed?

The engine is not under the cab but mid way along the frame rails. There for there is no advantage in having the cab tilting. Was there any special removable panels in the cab for access to the radiator hoses fan etc?

I can imagine that the weight of the cab with the sleeper on top would have put quite a load on a tilting mechanism if it was fitted.

The photo of your mock up looks like some of the old trucks we used to have in the UK. But these would have been straight trucks and some would have pulled a trailer.