Model Cars Magazine Forum

And now for something completely different!

Modelmartin

These 3 kits were made by a small French company called Europe Models sometime in the 60s. They are 1/32 scale and were some of the strangest tooling I have seen.

They are all Panhards and are 1891, 1895 Coupe, and a 1905 Roi Des Belge(King of Belgium). The 1891 had so many little parts because their moldmaker likely couldn't do anything very involved. They probably didn't even have a pantograph. The 1895 went the opposite direction. It had whole assemblies molded in one piece. The 1905 was the best. It was broken down in a very reasonable way. I did find pictures of all 3 cars in my "Wall o' Mags and Books" and ironically the 1891 was the most accurate and the 1905 the least accurate. Go figure.

Building was easy on the 1895 and 1905. The 1891 had really terrible instructions. Good thing I had reference material. There was one part I recognised from the photos but the instructions showed it on the opposite end of the car! I figure the guy drawing the exploded views got sick of trying to figure out where everything went and just plopped it anywhere!

I had the brass parts plated by Chrome-Tech and I then sprayed them with a 1/1 mix of Tamiya clear yellow and clear with a tiny bit of flattening agent thrown in. Paints are airbrushed Home Decor colors: a rare example of me using enamel for paint jobs. These were really fun to do and are amongst my favorites.

4_15012.jpg

4_15013.jpg

4_15014.jpg

Yes, It IS as tall as it is long!!

4_15015.jpg

Note the wooden brake pads rubbing on the rear of the solid rubber tires! State of the art for 1891.

4_15016.jpg

Note the full elliptic springs in front and semi-elliptic on the rear. These were the first front-engine rear drive cars ever made. Yah, I know they were among the first cars ever made, too! What's your point? :P