Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gasser & AWB Community Build (Started.)

W-409

Great to hear, Bill! Your start looks excellent, I can't wait to see more of it.

The tires arrived today, so I have an update for my '40 Ford. These Tires are Very nice, and even if there is some cleanup required on the center seam, this Resin was really easy to work with and it took only few minutes to clean up. Then I cut those fender openings from the rear bit bigger. They are little rough on the pictures, because now everything is in MockUp stages. Parts fit fine, though so now I can finish them and start working on the axles.

There is no rear axle on the pictures, because I must make the floor before I can start looking for a place where to install the axle. Front Axle is from Revell Ford Thames Gasser, but I noticed that it is not working in this build. I will probably scratchbuild a new one, it might be easier to do so than to start modifying that one I already have. With that axle, the front end would be too high.

Here are The Tires as I got them:
DSCN2162.jpg

Front Tires will be taken from the Lindberg Kit, and wheels are bought from ModelExpress when it was still in business. I don't know where they are from, but I'm guessing somekind of early Funny Car kit? Rear wheels are also Resin cast parts:
DSCN2164.jpg

This is the stance I'm looking for:
DSCN2171.jpg
DSCN2173.jpg
DSCN2174.jpg

DSCN2176.jpg

Thanks Bill!

Yes, I knew those slicks were copies of some AMT kit's Tires, but had no clue which one. Now I know more again, thanks. :) And yes, those Front Tires are from Lindberg's '40 Ford.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

Sam: Can't wait to see your build, there can't be too many Gassers B) !

A Little update to my Austin project. I got the engine painted using Maston's Metallic Blue from Spray Can. It turned out Okay. The Intake Manifold was a bit tricky: I wanted to go with Hilborn Fuel Injection, but I had no good Intakes for that setup. Well luckily I decided to try the original one that came with the kit. Of course Ford's Manifold didn't quite fit to Chevy Big Block, so with a little cutting, I got it looking better and fitting properly. Next I will remove the chrome and paint it silver. Also the rest of that frame is also cleaned up, and I decided to smooth those little ejector marks and other problems with putty... Some sanding, and primer...Hopefully.

Here the Left side is still Stock, right side is Modified:

DSCN2411_zpsf8a15ae3.jpg

Both sides modified:

DSCN2412_zpsef4cebf2.jpg

Valve Covers have very nice Chrome Plating, but since this is not a Show Car, I will spray some Flat Clear over them...

DSCN2415_zps79e4452e.jpg

DSCN2420_zps7225d4d0.jpg

Well I got some more done on the Frame. I sanded all the putties smooth, and since it really looked smooth, I decided to spray some primer over it. Luckily it was a warm day, so I painted outside and it dried very fast so I managed to paint another side of the frame with primer on the same day. Then I sprayed some Gold paint on it today. Still the other side to go.

AustinUpdate_zpsa1408679.jpg

• 4 months later...

I have made some more progress with the '41 Plymouth, here we go...

After spending a good while searching for parts for rear axle, or actually the wheel backs/inner wheels were the problem to find... Well I borrowed them from my '58 Chevy Sedan Delivery Pro Street build so I must find own parts for this later. Also the body don't quite fit on the frame, and from the front end there is a massive gap between those Frame Rails and body. That will make the front end stance look lower. So while test fitting the stance, I noticed that it's too high. I must lower the front a bit for the next mock up, also the rear tires seem to be a bit too front so that needs to be fixed for the next time as well.

7094d357-ee73-4555-b33d-813029c0602a.jpg

Here are pics of the mock up, the front end is clearly too high.

DSCN7104.jpg

DSCN7106.jpg

I got the front end to a proper height now. The springs were lowered a little and then I moved the Axle on the other side of the springs, so that it is now between the frame rails and springs, not under the springs like it was one the First Mock Up. Also with a bit of sanding I got the body fitting properly. The engine is also Mocked Up.

31c3c1b2-74c6-4fa6-9aaa-6b7ef22edbd1.jpg

6c20ab5d-7b6c-464d-8248-8b8affe66e09.jpg

999d8da8-43a6-4187-be06-1b5976ae2507.jpg

Some more progress... I cut the Gas Tank away and covered that area with Sheet Plastic. Next I need to put some Bondo there, and hopefully then I can move on to the paint shop. Also I put some more Bondo on the body, some sanding coming up tomorrow and possibly after that, a coat of primer.

DSCN7275.jpg

DSCN7278.jpg

Thanks Ray!

Sean: Absolutely, the more builds we get, the better this CBP will be. :D ...And the Old Man? Who's that?

Kerry: Sure, we want as much Eye Candy as possible. Finished builds will also give a good inspiration to get the builds going. :)

Thanks Ray!

Sean: Absolutely, the more builds we get, the better this CBP will be. :D ...And the Old Man? Who's that?

Kerry: Sure, we want as much Eye Candy as possible. Finished builds will also give a good inspiration to get the builds going. :)

Sounds good, if I get the chance tonight or over the weekend I'll put a few of mine up......

Your kidding right? :blink: ...Donn Yost? :huh: www.oldmanmodels.com

Oh Yeah, Donn Yost! The "Old Man" just didn't say anything to me. :lol: Donn's builds would be great to see in here, too. He sure builds high quality stuff.

A little inspiration for all of ya!!!!!!

Thanks Kerry, great builds!! Especially I like the AWB Rambler, that looks simply perfect. Also that '60 Impala has always been my favorite. Great work!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Wow, very cool. At first sight, I thought yours was the love child of Studebaker and Chrysler.

If memory serves, wasn't SIMCA a Chrysler Group/Chrysler Europe subsidiary and brand for a while?

I did something similar with a Revell 1:25 1977 Chevy Monte Carlo Snap Together Kit: 85-1933 and a Monogram 1/24 1966 Malibu SS Kit: 2219.

Getting the Chassis Length, opening the Hood and, cutting the hole for the Hood Scoop were the hardest part. As soon as I remember which box it's packed in, I post some Pictures.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...