Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '50 Oldsmobile Club Coupe 2'n1

After seeing Steve Boutte's beautiful '50 Chevy custom, my first build with this kit may be a custom. I think I'm going to need several of this kit! Course, I gotta save something back for the '57 Ford that's coming closely behind it. ;)

Glad to see this coming out along with the `57 Ford. When I was a kid my uncle lived across the street from us. He had a `50 coupe and my dad had a `50 fast back sedan. Both car were a little bit souped up. I do know both had 3 dueuces, duel exhaust and at the time I thought they idled rough ( later found out they had cams) Dads fastback was Black and my uncles car was powder bule with flames . All I remember is those things would haul tail.

Did they run moonshine, or what?

I've always wondered what the difference was between a regular 2-door sedan and a club coupe. Now I can see the differences.

I wonder how hard it would be to lengthen the roof to make a correct 2-door sedan?

Either way, and as I build stock, it's not that big a deal to me about the racing stuff, I'm still really looking forward to this kit.

Charlie Larkin

Stock is also my first choice, but I'm not sure whether I can resist a Carrera Panamericana version.

Seeing that Revell blew it again in grand tradition, I only hope the resin guys soon start splashing their stuff about.

Seeing that Revell blew it again in grand tradition, I only hope the resin guys soon start splashing their stuff about.

Hmm, "blew it again", blew what?

They release a great subject, and offer an alternative version, reminicent of an old racing vehicle or maybe a tribute.

I'm sure resin casters will coime up with the "right" body style, so praise Revell that you don't have to look out for a $15 decal sheet...

A good thing Bill isn't around anymore to read this krap even before the kit is released!!!

Edited by Luc Janssens

Hmm, "blew it again", blew what?

They release a great subject, and offer an alternative version, reminicent of an old racing vehicle or maybe a tribute.

I'm sure resin casters will coime up with the "right" body style, so praise Revell that you don't have to look out for a $15 decal sheet...

A good thing Bill isn't around anymore to read this krap even before the kit is released!!!

There would have been greater subjects to begin with, but one has become grateful for every breadcrumb the model industry sees fit to ever so occasionally throw at one.

They blew the alternative version, there is no other expression for it. There are loads of racing liveries that would have been authentic for a Club Coupe. But what did they chose? One that only existed on a 2-door Sedan. So sod that.

^ or they could have made the "alternate" version a dragster or a gasser or a kustom of some sort. I'm still glad this model is coming out, but I feel that the 2 in 1 is false advertisement here.

I wonder if there is more to the 2nd version than just decals. I'm surprised they didn't do a period street rod version w/ different wheels and tires, vintage engine speed parts at the least..

Edited by Rob Hall

I'm surprised they didn't do a period street rod version w/ different wheels and tires, vintage engine speed parts at the least..

I think that may come in a modified reissue, similar to what Revell did with the '72 Olds. Release the first kit as a "Special Edition" featuring stock and a close-to-but-not-quite-stock versions, then release a non-SE version as a race car, custom, or drag car.

Don't want to offend anybody here, but I am pretty much astounded at some of the negative comments in this thread.

We haven't even seen the kit yet!!!

This is a kit that some of us have wanted for decades. It is a kit topic that was originally planned as long ago as the early 1960's (according to some people who were involved, it was approved as a kit and ready to go into development, then the company falsely heard that another model company was doing the same topic, and they cancelled the kit), and then again in the late 1990's (the RC/AMT-Ertl chapter).

Now we are actually getting the kit - in less than a month - and it will undoubtedly have the outstanding attention to detail that we are seeing in many of the new kits coming from Revell these days.

So....let's all take a deep breath, chill just a bit, and wait to see what is actually in the box when it comes out. Then if there are things to vent about or criticize, so be it (although my view is that you really can't effectively critique a new kit until you've built and completed it).

And yes, I think you can pretty easily conjecture that there will be future spinoffs of this kit with additional parts that are a bit more focused in their subject matter. Revell quizzed me on my ideas on one such variant several years ago when the kit was under consideration, though I do not know if that specific variant is in development or under consideration.

Guys, keep in mind, the team at Revell (and the other kit sources as well, I suspect), do read these Forums from time to time. I think our posts here should be informed and encourage them to continue to do the great work they are doing, and expand it even further - not discourage them by venting negative opinions before we've even opened the box top on their new products.

Again, this comment is not directed at anyone in particular, rather it is just my overall view of the topic....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Guest G Holding

Now we are actually getting the kit - in less than a month - and it will undoubtedly have the outstanding attention to detail that we are seeing in many of the new kits coming from Revell these days.

So....let's all take a deep breath, chill just a bit, and wait to see what is actually in the box when it comes out. Then if there are things to vent about or criticize, so be it (although my view is that you really can't effectively critique a new kit until you've built and completed it).

THANK YOU TIM !!!

yeah dont speak your mind and dont note the obvious. be a nice little consumer now and of course "support the hobby" even when they do incredibly dumb stuff like offer a highly identifiable graphics option on the wrong body style car.

not for me i'm afraid.

Outstanding attention to detail? When did Revell start specializing in that?

I see not one person picking apart the kit itself. Not a single comment about body proportions out of whack or anything. I think a lot of us are waiting for Revell to take that step where they hit that "homerun" where they put out that kit that is darn near perfect.

Maybe this is that kit until they threw a wild pitch, hit a batter, and then balked home the winning run with that never existed 2nd version.

Attention to detail? Like how the box art model has the mirror and hood ornament out of place? Like not knowing your 2nd half of you're 2n1 is a sedan, not a coupe? Does no one at Revell have a computer capable of accessing Google Images?

Revell will get my $20 as I build replica stock, but it just leaves ya scratching your head about what they were thinking. This isn't 1992 when the internet was at best several large forums (AOL, Prodigy & CompuServe), they can't just to slip a fast one by anyone anymore.

Edited by niteowl7710

yeah dont speak your mind and dont note the obvious. be a nice little consumer now and of course "support the hobby" even when they do incredibly dumb stuff like offer a highly identifiable graphics option on the wrong body style car.

not for me i'm afraid.

\

JB....yeah, if this is just one of a bunch of mistakes that become apparent when the kit finally comes out and we build it, then I think people can justifiably point out this decal situation as an early indication of a flawed kit. On the other hand, If this is the only "mistake" and the rest of the kit is, as someone else remarked, a home run, then it becomes inconsequential in the bigger picture.

My point is that we can't reliably assess the importance of this until we actually buy and build the kit. So I'm suggesting that we

"hold fire" until we can put the kit together an form an judgment from all the evidence. Then, if justified, have at it.

TIM

Outstanding attention to detail? When did Revell start specializing in that?

I see not one person picking apart the kit itself. Not a single comment about body proportions out of whack or anything. I think a lot of us are waiting for Revell to take that step where they hit that "homerun" where they put out that kit that is darn near perfect.

Maybe this is that kit until they threw a wild pitch, hit a batter, and then balked home the winning run with that never existed 2nd version.

Attention to detail? Like how the box art model has the mirror and hood ornament out of place? Like not knowing your 2nd half of you're 2n1 is a sedan, not a coupe? Does no one at Revell have a computer capable of accessing Google Images?

Revell will get my $20 as I build replica stock, but it just leaves ya scratching your head about what they were thinking. This isn't 1992 when the internet was at best several large forums (AOL, Prodigy & CompuServe), they can't just to slip a fast one by anyone anymore.

James.....you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine....and my opinion is that, in total, Revell is putting out the best kits in its history, and when judged in their totality including price and their imported ocmpetition, I believe many of their new kits offer outstanding attention to detail.

There are people inside Revell who are very knowledgeable car enthusiasts and modelers. In the past, they have had discussions with aftermarket folks, before kits even hit the shelves, about spinoff aftermarket parts, Heck, from what I hear, in a few cases they've even given pre-production kits to the aftermarket to help expedite aftermarket products that support the kit.

Now I have zero insider knowledge on this, but just suppose someone in the aftermarket is preparing a sedan body with Revell's encouragement/ccooperation, and with this knowledge, Revell decided to include the decals to make that conversion an easier to accomplish model? Then what would we say?

At this point, to work ourselves up into a rage over something as inconsequential as this just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe to others, but not to me.

TIM

Edited by tim boyd

I, for one, am and have always been a fan of Revell. They've made some of my all-time favorite kits (Thompson's Challenger and Attempt, Ivo's Showboat, all the 1/25 versions of the Model 'A', the '37 and '50 Ford trucks and the '41 Chevy pickup...) and I believe their intention to produce well detailed and thought-out kits has always been there.

There have been a few hiccups along the way but their choice of subject matter has greatly widened our opportunities as model builders, and they've released some kits that surprised me due to my perception of a somewhat limited market for them. I'm glad they did.

I'm REALLY glad they're doing the Olds, as it's one of my favorites in 1:1, and I can't wait to get started on a fastback conversion (and a convertible or two).The only thing I have a gripe with is how long it's been since we first heard about it. If the proportions are right, and the tooling of the mechanical bits is accurate, I'll be happy with the result.