Model Cars Magazine Forum

Introducing the 2014 Corvette Berlinetta... 1st 2014 Vette sells for?

Jim, it looks like that might be the last year where the Corvette looked like a Corvette.

I'm not sure about that logic. Compare the '53 to the '63. Not much family resemblance between them. How about the '67 and '68? Compare either of those to the '84. It is an evolving design so who is to say what looks like and doesn't look like a Corvette? By that rationality the Corvette has not looked like one for about 50 years.

Just as in 1958 when that version of the Corvette showed that Harley Earl had lost his touch,the 2014 version shows that Ed Welburn and his staff have lost THEIR touch.This thing is unoriginal,derivitive,and just over wrought.From the Ford grille shape to the Ferrari /Dodge headlights to the Ferrariesque sides to the Camaro tailights this thing just screams "copycat".And just like the 1958 version this thing has way too many lumps,bumps,and phony gills and vents.Is Ed Welburn 65 yet?

Edited by ZTony8

Just as in 1958 when that version of the Corvette showed that Harley Earl had lost his touch,the 2014 version shows that Ed Welburn and his staff have lost THEIR touch.This thing is unoriginal,derivitive,and just over wrought.From the Ford grille shape to the Ferrari /Dodge headlights to the Ferrariesque sides to the Camaro tailights this thing just screams "copycat".And just like the 1958 version this thing has way too many lumps,bumps,and phony gills and vents.Is Ed Welburn 65 yet?

How can GM ever do, someday in the future, a retro looking Corvette unless they create cars that look totally different then they used to..... LOL

I know I'm going to catch hell for saying this, but you know what? I think it's an improvement over the current 'Vette. Meaner and a lot less 'flabby' looking.

It's funny you say that, Chuck, as I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder as my reaction is that it looks dumpy (or flabbier) than the current model. I think the C6 looks meaner and more purposeful. Oh well.... :unsure:

Most of those who don't like it would have never been in the market for it anyway. Face it, GM is designing for who they think are the target audience of buyers.

I have to agree 100% with Mark, maybe 1% of the people on this forum will be able to buy this thing, ten years from now. And that target audience is not here on MCM. You dont like, thats fine, so say your peace and leave it at that.

I am in the middle, and in that 99% , I like it, but I dont, the taillights and rear end are what I am not liking, but I dont really care, I am not a Vette fan to start with, would I buy this if I were in the 1% on here, sure, after I buy the dozen or more other cars that I would much rather have and can blow the doors off Vettes

Edited by martinfan5

I like the new version. I don't know about anyone else, but I remember the time when I was a kid and could hardly wait for September to come and see all of the new body styles. Each manufacturer was different and their designs reflected that. Now it seems each styling department just has a direct line to one another and there is no imagination. How many times do you drive down the highway and think you are behind a BMW and realize it is a Hyundai or something similar.

The current Corvette has my vote. You always hear the foreign car guys talking about the unrefined power and brute force the current model has and I personally find that endearing and kind of genuinely American. Then again, I do believe that Corvette owner is synonymous with AARP member.

Oh, right. People with no sense of design or style, but happily-mindless me-too followers of fashion. Kind of like all the cookie-cutter rebels, being different by being just like everyone else who's being different. Now I understand.

That's funny but true. As for the car, I like it. GM has pulled out all the stops with this one, that's why they have it the stingray name (for special generations). Hand crafted leather seats, carbon fiber dash. At least most of us agree that the interior is a major upgrade from the previous generation. Yea, you are right when you say it looks like other high performance cars and that's because aerodynamics have certain properties that are difficult to use with any shape. I think this thing is supposed to get like 30 mpg! Plus 450 horses and a top speed close to 200 as well as a 50/50 weight bias and a 2 foot narrower turning radius. What more could you ask for? I agree that I don't like the rear end as much because it is not corvetteish, maybe because then it would've looked too much like a Ferrari (the round tailights). At least they are not doing the retro-thing. Edited by dirtracer2448

I like the new Vette. If I had the money I would buy one in a heartbeat. I love Ferraris and Lambos as well. As much as GM says that it is a world class super car, it just does not compete in one area that Ferraris, Lambos, Astons, Lotus, etc compete in, the maintenance bill! The Vette is an every day sports car, something you can't do with a $300,000 Lambo. You could easily put thousands of miles on one a year, drive it in the rain, and probably have no worries about driving it across country. That's not something one would do with a GTO/Berlineta/599/458. Those owners buy their cars to pamper them because they're to expensive to do anything else.

Of course if someone wanted to give me the latest greatest Lambo or Ferrari I wouldn't say no.

I happen to like the new style 'Vette, as it is a nice departure from the same styling elements we've been seeing for years. I've gotten tired of the "bubbleback" rear glass, the too plain rear end, among other things. Sometimes, things need to change-------otherwise, where is the progress?

When I first saw the spy photos and renderings of the rear end on the '14, I knew that would be a polarizing styling element. Folks either like it or they don't. I like it, because there will be no mistaking what's up ahead as you roll up on one.

Now, if I could only AFFORD one! :D