Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stripping Chorme partially

Does anyone know how to or have a technique to strip chrome off of part of a piece? For example I want to strip the chrome off of the name plate section of a chrome tail light piece. I do not want to strip the chrome off the perimeter of the piece or around the individual tail lights. Is sanding my only option? If sanding is my only option, how could I preserve the raised lettering and still remove the chrome on and around the little raised letters?

Not sure what you want to do but if you can mask really good where you want the chrome to remain you can then spray the part with Easy Off in the yellow can. Do it outside use gloves if needed and then wash off. Don't know if this will work for you because as I said I am not clear on what it is you are wanting to do. Good luck.

No. Actually I want to remove the chrome from the letters also because they need to be painted black.

Why not just simply paint the letters black? There's really no need to strip the chrome, hobby enaels and laquers will stick fine to the chrome, as will most acrylics.

Why not just simply paint the letters black? There's really no need to strip the chrome, hobby enaels and laquers will stick fine to the chrome, as will most acrylics.

The piece I am working on is a tail light section of a 1970 Dodge Super Bee. The whole piece is chrome. There is a section in the middle that has the letters DODGE on it and a little bee emblem. That area is supposed to have a dull aluminum look and the Dodge letters are supposed to be black like on the 1:1 car. Can I mask the rest of the piece off and spray Duplicolor spray paint right over that chrome area to get that dull aluminum look or do I have to remove the chrome coating from that area first in order for the spray paint to stick?