Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Had to go to a dentist today for an oil change and lube (checkup and cleaning).  Fortunately his office is near a Hobby Lobby and one of the very few local hobby shops in this entire area.  So...

Hobby Lobby, Easley SC: REVELL '67 Nickey Camaro RS/SS 427 with 40% off. 

Off-topic: ACADEMY 1/48 Hughes 500D Ca. Highway Patrol helicopter, which includes a CHP trooper and his Kawasaki motorcycle. OK, so not completely off-topic.  Neat little kit, and I probably couldn't beat the $12.99 price on eBay, after shipping.

Real Hobby Shop:  AMT Sunbeam Tiger and "Mod Rod" '29 Ford in the flat Art Box.

I'm starting to think REVELL is boycotting Upstate S.C. with the '30 Ford Coupe.  Or maybe they're really selling like hotcakes. I know others on here have found them at Hobby Lobby, but this store either didn't get them yet or had sold out.  The hobby shop didn't have any either, and it usually gets new kits pretty quickly.

Got this "thing " in the mail from Japan yesterday. It took almost 7 weeks to get here and I had forgotten about it. I believe it is based on some Japanese cartoon. It was interesting to me because I thought it had a Steampunk, 30's race car, 30's airplane vibe to it. I will build it when I feel like building something different.

Carl if you like it then you ought to look into Aurora's "Battle Aces of the Road" series. I'm guessing you'd like the rest of the series also;)

Thanks!  I'd nearly forgotten about that series.  Poor old AURORA - about 40 years ahead of their time.  I'm saying that because of the many modern rods decorated with WWII aircraft insignia and nose art.

On-topic: today was Flea Market day.  I found a shrink-wrapped AMT-ERTL '55 Nomad "Johnny Lightning" issue for $5. Comes with a 1/64 die-cast of the '55 Nomad.  I'm guessing the AMT kit is the same as every other version, with the drag/custom parts. So I probably won't open it up right away.

Also found a very cheap REVELL '64 Impala 2-in-1 for parts, since it's partly built/painted.  The box was very heavy. No wonder - crammed in with the kit was a can of TESTORS Grape Pearl spray paint, 2 paintbrushes, 2 tubes of glue and 9 small bottles of TESTORS paint. 

Got this "thing " in the mail from Japan yesterday. It took almost 7 weeks to get here and I had forgotten about it. I believe it is based on some Japanese cartoon. It was interesting to me because I thought it had a Steampunk, 30's race car, 30's airplane vibe to it. I will build it when I feel like building something different.

got%20today%20from%20japan%20001_zpsie2y

got%20today%20from%20japan%20002_zpsazxt

Wow! That looks like a "Hi-Tech" Vehicle out of one of the old '30's Buck Rogers serials.

WOW!! -never saw these before! -Are you gonna build them?!  -I hope so, i'd love to see'em!!

Not that you should hold your breath, but the "Flying Tiger" is planned to be done. The J looks like it just left a Hobby Shop Shelf in '70 so I think I'll set it aside for now.

I remember when the "Battle Aces of the Road" series was issued and thought it was a really nutty idea. But Aurora was having a tough time then, so I guess they were trying to make their comparatively good car kits appeal to airplane builders (like I was at the time.) MPC was going the other way, selling Airfix 1/72 scale aircraft with chrome plated customizing parts and wild decals to get car builders to build planes!

I remember when the "Battle Aces of the Road" series was issued and thought it was a really nutty idea. But Aurora was having a tough time then, so I guess they were trying to make their comparatively good car kits appeal to airplane builders (like I was at the time.) MPC was going the other way, selling Airfix 1/72 scale aircraft with chrome plated customizing parts and wild decals to get car builders to build planes!

Not unlike Japanese car-model makers trying to peddle their wares to Gundam-model-builders now...

FUJIMI-Honda-Mugen-CR-Z-1-24-JAPAN

Gundam shop is a hobby dealer that sells on the bay. That's the shop mark on the pic so fine other sellers don't use their pic. Not cross marketing. 

If I wanted to sell stuff, I wouldn't use a sweet hybrid kit. To their credit, it's not a boite-de-merde Pious. :)

Actually got this yesterday... Candy apple red '60 Bonneville for a resto/rebuild. I love when the original builder actually follows the instruction to "use cement sparingly" and ignores the one to "scrape plating and paint from parts before cementing!" The result is that this beauty has very minor skirt rash. The fact that there are no antenna holes atop the quarter panels is even better! She's already been stripped and scrubbed and is ready to receive a roof from a rough hardtop in the stash.

More here... http://public.fotki.com/Froghawk/smp-59-corvette-kit/candybonne3.html

CandyBonne1.jpg

Edited by John Goschke

Gundam shop is a hobby dealer that sells on the bay. That's the shop mark on the pic so fine other sellers don't use their pic. Not cross marketing. 

If I wanted to sell stuff, I wouldn't use a sweet hybrid kit. To their credit, it's not a boite-de-merde Pious. :)

OK, maybe I picked a bad example for illustration. There does seem to be some intentional cross-marketing going on focused towards manga & anime (or whatever the correct term is) enthusiasts. These are Fujimi kits.

Image result for fujimi wangan midnight   Image result for fujimi wangan midnight   Image result for fujimi wangan midnight   Image result for fujimi wangan midnight

Actually got this yesterday... Candy apple red '60 Bonneville for a resto/rebuild. I love when the original builder actually follows the instruction to "use cement sparingly" and ignores the one to "scrape plating and paint from parts before cementing!" The result is that this beauty has very minor skirt rash. The fact that there are no antenna holes atop the quarter panels is even better! She's already been stripped and scrubbed and is ready to receive a roof from a rough hardtop in the stash.

More here... http://public.fotki.com/Froghawk/smp-59-corvette-kit/candybonne3.html

CandyBonne1.jpg

Not my thing at all, but if that's what you're into, that looks like a GREAT score. I've worked with stuff that started out looking worse than that. Congratulations!

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...