Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge L700 - Did Tim Ahlborn built the box art model?

I just want to point out, at my local big "W" store, the Dodge L-700 kit must have caught on all of a sudden. My daughters drag me in their quite often for girl stuff and knick knacks so I get to browse the model and magazine shelves fairly often. I had noticed that the Revell 49 Mercury custom was and is still selling pretty good, while the L-700 kits just sat there.

Then all of a sudden, the L-700s cleared out and they've since restocked that shelf twice and it's still almost empty again! I didn't think there was that many modelers around here, especially big rig modelers. I expect quite a few will be used for "hauling" stock car models.

Also, people may have suddenly realized that the kit was actually 3 kits in one, which increased it's desirability.

I don't have plans yet for the trailer or the Palmer based 40 Ford kit, but I don't mind putting them in the stash for later... :rolleyes:

Looks like Lindberg may have a hot seller on it's hand and maybe we'll be seeing more from them especially considering the scaling back that has been rumored by both Revell and AMT.

I always expect when one company drops the ball and walks away, someone else will step up to run with it, looks like the one streaking for the goal line at this time is Lindberg!

• 5 weeks later...

i bought this kit just after it came out thinking it wouldn't be around long. here's my short review:

the plastic is really fragile; think in terms of model airplanes instead of trucks.

the instructions, while better than pictograms, require careful reading, since MANY parts are similar between the truck and trailer BUT do NOT interchange. it would have been better if they'd molded the trailer parts in a completely different color plastic.

the solid vinyl hi-miler tires are BEAUTIFUL but too small for the assembled wheels, and quite heavy compared to hollow AMT tires. extreme care must be taken when putting the tires on the rims.

locating tabs for springs, axles, accessory air tanks, etc are by and large guesswork. constant reference to the boxtop is a must.

the steerable front axle is a great gimmick, but given the weight of the tires and the brittle plastic it should be sacrificed for durability. just my opinion.

i'm very impressed with the "look" of the kit, even though i STILL haven't finished mine for lack of more reference material.

the 40 ford kit is every bit as good and possibly better than AMT's since it HASN'T been reissued 50 times. there are few extra parts and those are of dubious authenticity, but it builds up nicely with care. another 40 coupe on the shelf is not a bad thing.

side note on the tire issue: i assembled the trailer first to get a feel for the kit; i tried to assemble the trailer wheels per kit instructions but the wheel halves would not touch inside the tire. i super glued the rims to the tires in this case. when i built the tractor, i assembled the wheels and set them aside to dry for a day before slipping the tires onto them. it was difficult and risky considering the brittle plastic but it did work, and i MAY try to redo the trailer wheels also.

• 13 years later...
On 10/14/2007 at 11:34 PM, 62rebel said:

the solid vinyl hi-miler tires are BEAUTIFUL but too small for the assembled wheels, and quite heavy compared to hollow AMT tires. extreme care must be taken when putting the tires on the rims.

I noticed this, too, on the original issue I picked up from eBay. I figured the vinyl compound had shrunk over the years, but maybe something else is a factor if this was also an issue with the reissue from 2007. Kind of a bummer, as the Dayton(?) wheels, especially the fronts, are nice looking. Sadly, the fit between the wheels and tires is not even close, and there's very little 'give' or 'stretch' to the solid tires.