Model Cars Magazine Forum

TDR Pro Street Chassis

As promised, the TDR Pro Street Chassis is now available.

The front clip can be ordered in widths of 6.5, 7 and 7.5 inches.

ebayifs.jpg

The center section comes in two pieces. We do not guarantee that it will fit under all interior tubs.

ebaycntr.jpg

The rear clip comes in two configurations and can be ordered to fit a typical 9" style rear end or a Pro Stock style rear end, both available at TDR.

ebayirs.jpg

Our chassis sections are designed with stubs to allow the use of styrene tube to join each section. Please visit us at www.tdrcatalog.com for more information.

• 4 months later...

I've had one of the first TDR Pro Street Chassis sitting on my bench for far too long so I'm going to build it here and put it under one of my MF fibreglass Willy's bodies.

As you can see from the CAD images posted above, this chassis comes in four sections. The chassis includes an optional rear clip for either the TDR 9" or 11" rear end and three front clips of varying widths, depending on what body the chassis is going under. Each section has stubs on which to slide styrene tube connectors.

156.jpg

The connectors are cut to the length of the stubs (X2 because each section has stubs) and slid onto the stubs of each chassis section with a dab of C.A. The adjoining chassis section is then slid into the open connectors and glued.

155.jpg

154.jpg

The next step is to add a bit of filler to the joins, sand smooth and prep for paint.

One of the advantages of building this chassis with "connectors" is that the wheelbase can be adjusted to fit the body that the chassis is going under.

Edited by arick

Oh yeah Dave!! I can't imagine a Willys without a Hemi under the hood. As soon as I get the chassis on wheels I'll be mocking up a Hemi blower motor. This will be my first attempt at super detailing so I may call on you for some advice. Right now I'm mocking up the rear clip so I can build a fuel cel. After that I'll add the front clip so I can build a roll cage to tie everything together.

The main chassis section, minus the front and rear clips is now complete. The joints have been smeared, sanded and primered and all thats left is some wet sanding prior to paint. Next up will be attaching the front and rear clips and then fabricating a roll cage to tie everything together.

154-1.jpg

After finish joining the two chassis center sections, I've mocked up the front and rear clips with styrene tube connectors.

004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

Next up will be to adjust the wheelbase to fit under the 8th scale Willys body. I'll attach the front and rear suspensions and will use the chassis connectors to ensure the wheel base is set at 13" to match that of the body.

002-1.jpg

I was going to run a TDR 9" style rear end but I've now decided to go with the TDR pro street/pro stock 11" style rear end. This change in plan required a switch to an optional TDR rear chassis clip.

012-1.jpg

The optional clip has correct mounting brackets for the shocks and four bars needed for this rear end. I have one of the first test kits needed to mount this rear end in the optional clip. There are some issues with it, but with some minor adjustments, I think I can make it work. The photo above shows a test installation of the four bars, shocks and axel hardware.

i personally applaud your choice rick. i for one still love the pro street look when it's done properly. your choice of the 11" rear will go hand in hand with your hemi power. will you be using TDR's super big rear tires? how about wheel choice?

Thanks Dave. I haven't decided on wheels/tires yet.

While waiting for glue and paint to dry on some rear end parts, I mocked up the front suspension.

027-1.jpg

028-2.jpg

All parts (upper/lower A arms, coilover shocks, rotors and calipers) are from TDR Innovations. I'll also be adapting the TDR rack and pinion steering.

The TDR 11" rear end that I'm using is one of the early versions cast in resin. When first introduced, it was not optioned with proper width axel tubes for use in our pro street rear clip. I scratch built some tubes and added TDR 4bar/shock tube brackets. I've also had to modify the kit outer axel tubes.

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

The mock up version is now mounted in the rear clip. There's some additional modifications yet to be done to properly shape the axel tubes but I can now add rotors, calipers and hubs so I can test fit the rear wheels and tires.

Edited by arick

Wow!

The chassis is a work of art!

As is the Hemi and the runnung gear and the interior and...

I sense a trend...

Showed the site and the Cuda project to a friend, one of my promotional contacts, and he asked about the seperate sale of the Hemi.

Since you steadfastly!!! refuse!!! :D to offer financing for the whole package, his idea and product may be a cool thing, and I can make it happen if you wish.

Ring up www.Easy-Run.com to see Al Freilich's Easy Run Engine test stand, a great resting place for the TDR Hemi while the rest of the TDR Cuda is in the works.

It could be made in 1/8th scale with little hassle, but you'd want to talk to Al to get dimensions and feedback. He's stoked about the potential here, and is a good guy to have in your corner.

I am too.

Hey Rick

TDR Innovations offers interest free financing on all of our products. Anyone who wants further information can contact us at "tdr.innovations@gmail.com".

In regards to the Cuda, when its ready for production, we will offer interest free financing. In fact when its close, we may start taking deposits. However, the original investors will be taken care of before any bodies are sold.

By the way, tell your friend to go to our site at "www.tdrcatalog.com" where he will find all of our products including several versions of the TDR Hemi...........that he can buy

Before I go any further, its time to think about wheels and tires. Going through the parts box, I found some old American's from the Big T along with some rare Big T fat rear tires. So, I mounted them up and put them under the Willys body.

022.jpg

I kinda like the wheels and tires and the look, especially if I can get the body to sit this low over the chassis. What do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...

I've made some progress on the rear end. Other than the addition of some detail accessories, its basically done and I can now mount wheels and tires for fitting of the chassis under the body.

007-3.jpg

008-2.jpg

I've made some minor modifications to the calipers and rotors but its still all TDR made.

I'm still working on the fuel cell and planning the cage, with thanks to Dave for some helpfull photos.

Thanks to some great photos from Dave, I've mocked up a fuel cell and have an idea where I'm going with the roll cage. The more I thought about the extra detailing, the more I realized that it will be covered up, so I've decided to open the trunk and the drivers door.

Starting with the trunk..............

009-1.jpg

I carefully cut along the gap between the lid and the body. Due to the excellent quality of the MF fibreglass body, and in particular the fact that it has even thickness throughout, this was a relativly simple task. With the trunk open, I'll be able to show off the wheel tubs, fuel cell, battery and perhaps a few NOS bottles for that big TDR blower motor.

A word of caution though, when working with fibreglass, wear eye/nose/mouth protection.

Edited by arick

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link Don, I will refer to it as this project proceeds.

I've started building the wheel tubs.

036-1.jpg

035-1.jpg

I'm using styrene sheet cut to the contour of the chassis on the bottom and the tire (plus some) on the top.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm ready to start on the roll cage but before I get too far ahead of myself, I've decided that the next logical step is to mock up the entire drivetrain. I plan to run a blown TDR Hemi with a billet Lenco trans that my friend Dave machined for me.

066.jpg

I have several TDR Hemi's so am starting with a bare block. The bellhousing that comes with the engine will not work with the Lenco so after a bunch of searching, I found a bellhousing in my collection of George Zurowski goodies. George's Hemi engine came with a competition style bellhousing. It will require a significant ammount of modification to make everything fit, but it has the "look" and it will save me from having to carve up a a good TDR bellhousing.

Once the trans and bellhousing are attached to the block (with motor plates at both ends of the block) they will be set in the chassis. From there, I'll start on the floor and trunk and then tie it all together with the roll cage.