Model Cars Magazine Forum

1-8 nostalgia top fuel

comp1839

here's a car i built a little while ago. it's a 1-8 scale nostalgia top fuel dragster. it's based on a 225" f/e dragster chassis with a blown and injected, olds headed, big block chevy. waterman pump, msd pro mag 44, 14-71 blower, race pak data recorder. it has a 8 5/8" can with a lenco reverser and 12" chrisman rear. the chassis is soldered brass tubing, hand formed tig welded aluminum seat, hand formed aluminum body. hand made front and rear wheels, even grind my own rear tires. literally every component for this car was hand made from raw materials except the blower belt and the front tires (o-rings). it takes about a year for me to complete each of these cars that you've seen (this dragster and the AA/FA) i hope you enjoy.

026.jpg

027.jpg

017-1.jpg

002-13.jpg

004-8.jpg

Edited by comp1839

thank you guys. the amount of time (as i'm sure you all know) to build these, is severe. i spend spend about 1800- 2000 hrs to build these. so, when people compliment the cars, i really appreciate the remarks.

001-12.jpg

002-12.jpg

001-7.jpg

009-4.jpg

021.jpg

Edited by comp1839

here's a car i built a little while ago. it's a 1-8 scale nostalgia top fuel dragster. it's based on a 225" f/e dragster chassis with a blown and injected, olds headed, big block chevy. waterman pump, msd pro mag 44, 14-71 blower, race pak data recorder. it has a 8 5/8" can with a lenco reverser and 12" chrisman rear. the chassis is soldered brass tubing, hand formed tig welded aluminum seat, hand formed aluminum body. hand made front and rear wheels, even grind my own rear tires. literally every component for this car was hand made from raw materials except the blower belt and the front tires (o-rings). it takes about a year for me to complete each of these cars that you've seen (this dragster and the AA/FA) i hope you enjoy.

MAN THIS IS NICE BETTER THEN NICE! CAN I GET SOME OF THEM ENG. PARTS, PM ME.

i'm glad you like the top fuel car guys. it's nice to hear from fellow modellers. derrick, i'm sorry to say i don't sell parts but, i have given permission to the guys @ LSM to copy and sell some of my engines. namely 1) a 737 cu in bbc w/ olds p/s heads 2) a 417 donovan 3) a set of ardun heads for a flattie 4) msd pro mag and coil and point box 5) 3 hole c/f injector hat 6) cragar super trick wheels (f&r). i'm not sure of the sites requirements to purchase, so you'll have to check in. also, there are the super pieces from TDR. they have a host of new products available for 1/8 scale. visit their website , you'll be amazed. 1/8 scale ain't what it used to be! THANK GOD! i hope this helps. if you need any thing else just yell.

001-7.jpg

008-1.jpg

002-8.jpg

004-12.jpg

Edited by comp1839

i'm glad you like the top fuel car guys. it's nice to hear from fellow modellers. derrick, i'm sorry to say i don't sell parts but, i have given permission to the guys @ LSM to copy and sell some of my engines. namely 1) a 737 cu in bbc w/ olds p/s heads 2) a 417 donovan 3) a set of ardun heads for a flattie 4) msd pro mag and coil and point box 5) 3 hole c/f injector hat 6) cragar super trick wheels (f&r). i'm not sure of the sites requirements to purchase, so you'll have to check in. also, there are the super pieces from TDR. they have a host of new products available for 1/8 scale. visit their website , you'll be amazed. 1/8 scale ain't what it used to be! THANK GOD! i hope this helps. if you need any thing else just yell.

Thanks Dave for the info, all the thing i do is in plastic not to the stander u r at your stuff is WOW!!!!! not to highjack but here a pic of a drive i'm working on for a 1/12 57 chevy.

IM003425.jpg

derrick, you're not hijacking my thread. this is about modelbuilding not what's mine or yours. i love it! 1/12th scale? i don't know if you're interested or not i have a 1/12 scale pro mod '57 i started a while back. it's in my photobucket. http://s243.photobucket.com/home/comp1839/allalbums feel free to look through it. may be some day i'll finish it. lol. is yours blown and turbo charged?

• 1 month later...

thanks guys! i appreciate the kind words. to add to the question LDO asked about a chassis jig. i use a chassis jig AND the chassis is built as "correct" dimensionally as is possible. the tubing diameters are as close to "correct" as commercially available tubing will allow me to get. the chassis is 225" wheel base with the maximum allowable 2" stagger in the front wheels. i've even added cables. which alot of the newer cars use(i am not sure if the older cars did this or not)to stop the cars chassis from going negative when deccelerating or coming out of a wheel stand.

tom1.jpg

tom2.jpg

tom3.jpg

hope you enjoy!

Edited by comp1839

Incredible Dave. The cables & 2" offset are over the top........now that's what I call some serious attention to detail.

I wonder how many guys would have known what the cables were for if you hadn't explained them in your text. It's obvious that you've spent many hours with 1:1 toys.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

don, thanks! i'm not sure how many people would notice those details. i try to build these cars to be critiqued by hard core, died in the wool racers. and while there are some inconsistencies, my goal is to build more and more accuracy into my models. the pro mod 'cuda and the top alcohol dragster i hope to exceed my previous builds as far as "detail" and "accuracy" go. i'm hoping the 'cuda will take the "cool" factor to a new personal high. we'll see.

as far as 1:1 race cars,.....i've spent an hour or two underneath of a few. LOL.

OK dave im doing the math here , the way I have it figured is you owe me four new shirts....."Why do I owe you four new shirts" you ask?? because I just drooled my way through two shirts on this build and now im about to go read another one of your builds so I figure four shirts should make us just about even. (unless I find another one of your builds) but for now four sounds good. LOL!!!! I'm loving your work my friend and im really getting inspired to GO BIG!! please visit my chevelle build when you can and let me know what you think http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31030 its only a little guy though 1/25th. :unsure:

Edited by Aftashox

aftashox, thanks for the compliments. have you seen my AA/FA build?

009-16.jpg

or how 'bout the AA/GS willys?

003.jpg

or the 'vette?

1-863vette001.jpg

here's my photo bucket. http://s243.photobucket.com/home/comp1839/index. you'll all see my stuff, includng the 1:1 cars i've owned over the years. hope you enjoy!

your chevelle is looking great. keep up the fantastic work!

p.s. sorry about the shirts. occupational hazard! LOL.

Edited by comp1839

• 3 weeks later...