Model Cars Magazine Forum

...and one more-59 Olds resin project.

DR JAY

As I metioned in my intro- my favorite build so far is this one. 650 hours after I started I had an exact replica of a car I had never seen- my father's 1959 Oldsmobile Super 88 4dr HT. It was built from reference memories from my uncle, mother and after giving lies as the reason for pumping him for info- my father. It was a surprise gift from the family for his 65th birthday...he said it was EXACTLY like his old car- right down to the compass on the dash. I started with a Modelhaus resin 98 and a Revell 59 Chevy kit and winged it.

http://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x357/drjay2/1959%20Oldsmobile%20Super%2088%20project/

Thanks for the compliments- I appreciate them given the talent and skill displayed on this forum. Dad said that car was fast and ridiculously hard on fuel...he had to get rid of it when it got tired and consumed lots of oil. At the end the engine would nearly stall when it was running as he poured in the STP.

• 4 weeks later...

The engine block, heads and trans came from the AMT 1940 Willys coupe/pickup kit.The Amt 66 Olds 442 supplied the timing cover, the valve covers came from the cadillac engine in the AMT 59 El Camino, the oil filter/ adapter came from a Boss 429 Drag engine, the intake from the spare parts box, the exhaust manifolds from a garage sale glue bomb 64 GTO, the carb from the Revell 56 Chevrolet and the belt driven accessories were combined from the Revell 59 Cadillac and Impala. All parts were heavily modified to resemble Olds Rocket parts...even the copper AC lines were replicated. I used to fix cars professionally for almost 25 years, so if I knew it should be there, I built or modified it to be there. There's even a HVAC plenum under the dash, but you can't see it ! (I know it's there)

Thank you very much for the kind words--this one burned me out and I didn't even set foot in my hobby cave for the post-build clean up for nearly a year. It has been to an IPMS contest just for giggles and it won a Gold Class award that's displayed prominently alongside Dad's Rocket atop their fireplace mantel in the living room flanked by family pictures and antiques. I'm proud of that one for sure!