Model Cars Magazine Forum

Budget Build Community Challenge

wontonkiller

This started out as an idea between friends. Then we decided to open it up to you all. We love to see the ideas and steps you guys take to make some amazing cars. My friends and I are all about competition. We are all working on different models right now and this is the way to see who can come up with the best build.

So here is what we came up with.

The Rules ___

1961 to 1979 cars....no trucks

$50 MAX price... including paint and add ons (2 kits little paint...1 kit lots of addons...how will you make the best?)

list of items will be needed (Do not need Receipt)

No shipping or brushes will count as well

Paint will be $1.50 brush bottle and $3.00 spray

Parts Cars Do not count toward the $50 max (if its on a tree count the car it came from in your price)

Build will start May 1st ....ending May 31st

Voting will be June 6th to 11th ____

(Wontonkiller...Tom Ried...Thedocktor40) The friends that started the challenge.

Please Follow these guidelines when posting.

Have fun and can't wait to see what you come up with !!!

Edited by wontonkiller

sounds cool!

i wonder how many $50 models we will se built now that brings up a question:

is the united states dollar or is that pound dollar or what????????????

and what about the engine can we claim it was a junkyard rescue and swap engines in the desired kit or what?

sorry to sound so bad but im just trying to make sure i understand it clearly!

if we can come up with an engine swap and what not and it still meets the requirements than im going to build a 68-72 nova!

and i already have a name for the project but i need to get one of those copo novas to do so!

Ok here is what i was thinking for mine...

65' Restomod Mustang .. New GT500 motor, wheels, custom made cage, new interior, lowered

Ref Pic :)

1970-Mustang-Mach-1-Resto-Mod-Camaro-Cuda.jpg

The kits....

P1000837.jpg

P1000838.jpg

Test Fit Rims look good from the GT500 kit

P1000839.jpg

Test Fit on 5.4 Supercharged GT500 motor looks good too

P1000840.jpg

The Totals.... ;) Proof of purchase for the kits

P1000836.jpg

GT500..19.99

GT350..15.99

BMF..4.99

Blue..1.50

Aluminum..1.50

Black..1.50

Flat Black..1.50

Spray (not sure on color yet)..3.00

49.97 ;) Just made it :)

Edited by wontonkiller

Um ya, I think we should probably tweek that rule about the recipts to make it easier for everyone. Personally, mine came off eBay, so the closest thing to a recipt I could get would be to maybe take a screen shot or something.

I think it would be a good idea, Dustin. I don't know if this idea would work for the three of you who came up with this build idea (since I noticed you were one of them), but what about a generalized pricing system for those of us who may want to pull a kit off the shelf and work on something for this. I was thinking something along these value lines maybe:

Pre 1985 kits: $5.00

1985 to 1995: $8.00

1996 to 2005: $10.00 to $12.00

2006 to Present: $20.00 to $25.00

Now I know some of these may be a lowball price compared to what a kit might go for on ebay, but it's just a suggestion. ;)

A comment here if you don't mind.

Building a model for under $50 is no mean feat. I do it everytime I finish a project. You want to challenge people?

How about a $10.00 build off? This means people have to use parted out kits or rebuilds. Aftermarket is out the window, so they have to figure out a way to detail and bling using low buck methods. They gotta use leftover paints. Utilize those parts bins. If you're gonna challenge builders, challenge them.

The one month thing though, that WOULD be a challenge for me. A lot of other stuff would have to be put on hold. Hard to do.

Edited by Jantrix

A comment here if you don't mind.

Building a model for under $50 is no mean feat. I do it everytime I finish a project. You want to challenge people?

How about a $10.00 build off? This means people have to use parted out kits or rebuilds. Aftermarket is out the window, so they have to figure out a way to detail and bling using low buck methods. They gotta use leftover paints. Utilize those parts bins. If you're gonna challenge builders, challenge them.

The one month thing though, that WOULD be a challenge for me. A lot of other stuff would have to be put on hold. Hard to do.

set it up and im in

im sure i have some gluebombs i took in on trade (or stuff i made when i was younger) that would do for this)

Jantrix, I understand where you are coming from, but the three of us are just getting into or getting back into the hobby. We realize this isn't much of a challenge to most of the guys here, but to us, it most certainly is. We don't have the bins full of parts, and plenty of leftover paint. We are just starting out and figured we'd challenge each other to get better in a way that is conducive to our situation, and we decided to open it up to anyone who wants to join us in.

Donnie: we'll try to come up with something so you can use that kit. As far as paints go; newly purchased, or left over paint is calculated the same way, with spray being $3 and bottles being $1.50

Boswell: its up to you. If you can find 2 kits and supplies under budget, go for it. Im only using 1 kit because if my paint costs, so whatever works for you.

Edited by TheDocktor40

That's why paint is at a set price for this. Paint for us is the same actual price, but to allow the paint to fit into the budget but not take up too much of your budget, the prices are set at an assumed 3 for cans and 1.50 for bottles.

For example:

I buy Tamiya black, tamiya blue, and tamiya red spray for $7 each for a total of $21. But for this challenge, that will add up to $3 each for a total of $9.

Hope that makes more sense.

Edited by TheDocktor40

Exactly. We were going to count the true cost of paint towards the budget, but with primer, paint, clear, etc, it would eat up that $50 pretty quickly, so we capped it.

Lol I should stop using my phone to post. Darn autocorrect!

Edited by TheDocktor40