Model Cars Magazine Forum

scratchbuilt - ?

Veering back to the rabbit trail of this thread.

I hate it when people (car hobbiests) use the term "tranny" in lieu of Transmission. I once worked with a gentleman who preferred to be addressed as being a "Tranny" (his term not mine). When you put a tranny in your car or model would it be the one shifting or shifted? Either way it is used it is still like fingernails screeching down a chalkboard! Normally when someone attempts to insert tranny into a conversation I say something like "You mean transmission or transvestite?".

Weighing in on the intended topic of this thread..

The term Scratch Built is used too freely when used to describe whether the model is entirely, partially or includes scratch built items. To me that is where the term should be defined by the its user. i.e. "this model is 100% scratch built", "this model is about half scratch built" or "this model has scratch built parts or assembelies". If the term is qualified in that way I have no issue with it.

Same with "dizzy." I've been a car guy for more than 5 decades and only recently heard one person incessantly refer to a distributor as a "dizzy" ... and insist it was a common term. I don't think I've been under a rock ... :wacko:

Same with "dizzy." I've been a car guy for more than 5 decades and only recently heard one person incessantly refer to a distributor as a "dizzy" ... and insist it was a common term. I don't think I've been under a rock ... :wacko:

How do you feel about the term "Johnson rod?"

:lol:

Hi! Just thought I'd drop by and fix that word for you. ^_^ Here's the one you want:

hob·by·ist/ˈhäbēist/

Noun: A person who pursues a particular hobby: "a computer hobbyist".

More info »Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

I'm kind of a word hobbyist -_-

You, sir are absolutely correct. My smart phone isn’t so smart after all. Seriously I have spellcheck on every computer at home and (especially) at work but not on my iPhone, there must be an app for that.

You think Drew, Harry and certain word hobbyists are rough to let a misspelled word slip by, try it with engineers. Though they don’t wrap your knuckles with a yardstick they prefer to use the highlighter and remark functions to completely embarrass their intended target.

One embarrassing "spelling moment occurred" back when I was a sign writer. A rather proud Dad of a soon to graduate psychology major with her doctorate came in the shop and asked if we could do a “shingle” with her name and Psychoanalyst on it. After finishing the real shingle varnishing it to a high sheen and hand lettering the script my boss suggested that I might want to invest in a dictionary, psychologist was not spelled “Psycologist”! I am still reminded of it to this day whenever I see my old boss! I still have the pocket dictionary in my sign kit to this day!

You, sir are absolutely correct. My smart phone isn’t so smart after all. Seriously I have spellcheck on every computer at home and (especially) at work but not on my iPhone, there must be an app for that.

You think Drew, Harry and certain word hobbyists are rough to let a misspelled word slip by, try it with engineers. Though they don’t wrap your knuckles with a yardstick they prefer to use the highlighter and remark functions to completely embarrass their intended target.

One embarrassing "spelling moment occurred" back when I was a sign writer. A rather proud Dad of a soon to graduate psychology major with her doctorate came in the shop and asked if we could do a “shingle” with her name and Psychoanalyst on it. After finishing the real shingle varnishing it to a high sheen and hand lettering the script my boss suggested that I might want to invest in a dictionary, psychologist was not spelled “Psycologist”! I am still reminded of it to this day whenever I see my old boss! I still have the pocket dictionary in my sign kit to this day!

Fun story - I've lived it before. But what do they "wrap" your knuckles with? Duct tape? :lol:

Edited by sjordan2

I'm surprised Skip didn't mention Roger Zimmerman's large scale builds (of the scratched variety ^_^) here, but if you have some time, be sure to check out his 1/12 scale '57 Continental Mark II here: http://forums.aaca.org/f190/construction-continental-mark-ii-model-scale-278354.html

Or some of his previous work here: http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Zimmermann.htm

Casey, thank you for sharing the link to Roger Zimmerman's scratch built Continental. I am absolutely in awe of Roger's work. Funny when you hear sniveling and whining about how hard it is to make a particular part out of a chunk of plastic, then you see Roger build his engine and transmission from nearly all brass sheet. I've bookmarked Roger's Scratch Building of his Continental, can't wait to see him get to the panel beating of the bodywork. Now there is a guy who is limited only by his imagination and amazing building skills.

Edited by Skip