Model Cars Magazine Forum

Drag-u-la on Steroids

Nitrozilla

Since I finished the time filler Zinger while awaiting the USPS slow boat from Georgia, I guess I've got to do something else. Sigh........

I need to build the Drag-u-la to go with my Munster Koach. The Koach was built box stock, but I figured if Granpa Munster and Herman got a chance to race again,Granpa might want an edge. Therefore, it's getting a blown Hemi, tinwork including firewalls (plural, one at the tinwork and one at the back of the motor), and I might even put a wing or 2 on it. A rollcage is also a strong maybe. Awfully tight quarters with the glass on. Might make the glass more like a Top Fuel windshield to give more height to the cage. We'll see.

The motor and tinwork were donated, begrudgingly, by the PL Stardust Barracuda.

In the meantime, here's the start.

Edit: Sorry, tried tags for the first time. The don't work the way I thought they might, so ignore them.

2007-02-22004.jpg2007-02-22003.jpg2007-02-22002.jpg2007-02-22001.jpg

Edited by Batzilla

Doc, I am having a blast. Bart, one of my favorite growing up memories. John, that's high praise coming from the King of Imagination.

Whoopie !! I built a rollcage to fit. Now if I can just find or modify or make a seat in a more reclining position. After I clean parts I may even be ready to start paint on some stuff like the frame, engine / trans / differential assembly.

Going to do a lot of purple to go with the gold and chrome.

Well, my Hemi Under Glass arrived today, so no more excuses about getting back on The Bride Of Deora (TYVMM). I'll jump on it first thing, um, sometime, uh, probably soon. Okay, tomorrow, fine. And not to freak out because I'm workin on this and that simultaynee, simulat, simpllec, ...at the same time.

2007-02-24003.jpg2007-02-24004.jpg2007-02-24005.jpg2007-02-24006.jpg2007-02-24007.jpg

Got some paint done today. Going with Gold, Chrome and PURPLE. I figured I'd make the interior of the coffin look like it was upholstered in purple. Goes good with gold, yes ??

A side note. I'll be working on 3 builds now. This one plus The Bride of Deora (TYVMM), and the Hemi Under Glass. I picked up a 2009 Challenger and have already made mods to it prior to mock up for the hauler housing height.

Excuse the doodles, I was trying to get a marker jump started after it got paint on it.

2007-02-25001.jpg2007-02-25002.jpg2007-02-25003.jpg

Edited by Batzilla

thats looking rather regal (colorwise)

Oh, I am loving it. Nice colors. This one is going to stand out.

It just hit me why I like the color combo so much. When Brett said "regal". It's the same as a Crown Royal bag. I'm not a drinker, but I used to use the bags to carry my Dungeons and Dragons dice around in. B):huh::wacko::blink:

It's a sheer joy to be working on 2 builds at the same time. I wouldn't normally lie to you nice people like that, but it's the easy way out.

Okay, mostly little stuff, tests, adjustments, things of that nature. Drilled out the fuel line holes in the blower and injector. Mounted up some interior accessories.

Just to give you an idea of how close the engine fit is, I can't install the valve covers and wire it until the engine is in place permanently. I had to shave the heads to squeeze in between the body sides.

2007-02-27003.jpg2007-02-27002.jpg2007-02-27001.jpg

This is a major update due to me doing nothing today. Except work on this model. But first:

John, Rob, Chris, Brad, keep feeding me praise candy. I eat it up and it's the fuel that these models run on when they're in competition. Thanx Guys.

Started the session by covering the body in purple prior to the gold. I then wired the distributor and drilled out the valve covers and made fuel blocks for the injectors and blower. I am also making what I hope will be a reusable jig for metal fuel lines for both. Pictured is the start of the injector line jig. The one for the blower will, of course, be wider. I made (non- operable) butterflies for the blower hat. Lastly, engine wise, I drilled out the headers.

Now, on to the interior. Here's where I went NUTZ !! I had a blast doing this and I hope it shows. Started off by making a steering column support and mounted the gauges to that with some wiring. Detailed the gas pedal, shifter knob, hand brake and steering wheel. Using clear blue, I made the shifter knob look like a blue and chrome marble. Looks terrific in real life. The steering wheel and hand brake handle got the wood treatment. Again, looks better in real life and needs some dry brushing to knock down the dark streaks. Where the heck am I gonna find somebody to do that? What? Well, I suppose I could, but I'm kinda' busy here.......... Anyway, the seat got touched up prior to install. I shot the seat purple, then scraped away the white tuck and roll. All 45 of them........by hand.........one at a time........some twice.........and then they still needed touch up.

Blower and scoop are just on for looks at this point. Lots of hoses and linkage to do. PE is tiny, huh ??

Wonder what surprises tomorrow will bring ??

2007-02-28001.jpg2007-02-27006.jpg2007-02-27005.jpg2007-02-27002-1.jpg2007-02-28002.jpg

Edited by Batzilla