Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Touring 70 1/2 Camaro *First post here*

ll Brandon ll

That's looking really good!

A little constructive criticism: you may want to consider making the rear spoiler a little thicker as it looks like it's kinda wavy. If you make it another layer of plastic thicker and sand/file it down to a "sharper" edge, it'll hold its shape better.

That's looking really good!

A little constructive criticism: you may want to consider making the rear spoiler a little thicker as it looks like it's kinda wavy. If you make it another layer of plastic thicker and sand/file it down to a "sharper" edge, it'll hold its shape better.

Yea, Im gonna add putty behind it and build it up, thats not the final design. Thats just the base structure. But, it gives you an idea of the look Im going for.

Thanks for the replies, guys I really appreciate the feedback! Heres another small update. Starting the body mods. I added mirrors from the 2010 Camaro, scratch built a hood scoop and spoiler, shaved the door handles. Just gotta do the putty work to smooth it all out and she should be ready for primer and final sanding. Shes really starting to look like something and Im very pleased with it so far. This one has been my most ambitious project yet and I think Ive really stepped my game up on this one. So anyway, comments and criticism is always welcome. Thanks for looking!

stp61372.jpg

nicely done so far!

thats very very impressive and cool , just love it ...

one thing crossed my mind , the hoodscoop > i think the shape of the front fits great but the top is so flat , as where everything else has a slight surve in the bodywork ..

if you would have a old spare hood from any car you might be able to use the top surface and put that on the flat top plate of the scoop so its a bit rounded at the top

i think that would look cool ....

the rest ...cant fault anything jsut amazing great work , the coils alone where like whow :wub:

I was actually thinking about that myself. I thought about adding a small strip of styrene to the center in a line down the middle and then adding some putty to build up a body line or a dome to the scoop. On one hand I like the squareness of it, adds an aggressive look to it, but I think it matching the body lines would look cleaner.

Man I love the way this thing is coming together. I would agree with everyone else, some impressive work.

I love the looks of the scoop and how you shaped the front of it to look like the nose of the car but if you look at it from the top veiw it kinda bothers my eyes how it's not shaped like the hood. The middle of the hood from the nose to windshield gets wider and the scoop is more or less square,if that makes any sense. I would also agree with rich about there being a curve but i think you have a great idea with ading the strip of plastic and some putty.

This is just in my own opinion. Overall everything just looks mean, keep it going.

Thanks for the posts, guys! A bit of a setback. I use Milliput as my putty and the hood would just not dry. It stayed soft for days. So, I had to strip it, destroying the scoop in the process. I just hope the hood isnt messed up to the point of not being able to be fixed. So, I went out and got me some Tamiya Putty. Milliput is great, I just have been having issues the last few times I used it with it not drying properly. I dont know if its going bad or if Im just not mixing it right but I really want this thing in paint, so Imma go with the Tamiya.

The spoiler held up fine. It had a few soft spots, but just small ones that can be filled later.

I did take your guys' suggestions to heart. The hood scoop will follow the factory lines of the hood and will have a domed shape to fit the curvature of the hood. Thanks for the suggestions! I hope to have an update on this soon so stay tuned.

Alrighty, heres my update. I took the advice on the hood to heart, hope you guys like it as much as I do. And the spoiler is pretty much done. I originally planned to do a more classic look with the back of the spoiler kind concaved in, but as I got to working it, I loved how it developed this bulldog look the way it looks now, so thats the end look. I also repaired the mold imperfection on the headlight. Im not 100% happy with it, but I really think its as good as I can do. I still have some small putty work to do, small gaps to fill in and what not, but its definitely starting to look like something. Im really getting excited about this!

stp61378.jpg

stp61379.jpg

stp61380.jpg

stp61382.jpg

stp61384.jpg

stp61386.jpg

WOW! Brandon, what and improvement. The simple changes to the scoop made a big difference and I really like the rear spoiler. I'm usually not a spoiler kinda guy but I like the way you did it and when you look at it from the side it flows real nicely. Keep it up, it's really coming together now.

Thank you for the suggestion as well as the criticism. I knew it need something but you know how it is, sometimes it takes fresh eyes to see what you cant see because of how much you stare at it, lol. Im definitely in love with the look of it now. It has the understated aggression and factory lines all in one package. I cant wait to see this thing in paint. Im trying to make sure I dont rush anything, lol.

Thank you for the suggestion as well as the criticism. I knew it need something but you know how it is, sometimes it takes fresh eyes to see what you cant see because of how much you stare at it, lol. Im definitely in love with the look of it now. It has the understated aggression and factory lines all in one package. I cant wait to see this thing in paint. Im trying to make sure I dont rush anything, lol.

Glad I could help. I know what you mean, right now Im taking peoples suggestions into consideration on weather or not to put a license plate holder on my 49 merc. That was the perfect description of this car, even the wheels have a stock but aggressive look, man I love them wheels...lol! Don't rush it man, just keep doing what your doing and it will pay off.

Thanks fellas! I can honestly say I am HAPPY with the outcome. I am also almost giddy with excitement to announce the body just got it's final coat of primer after two days of putty, sand, spot putty, sand, putty, sand, etc. So, a question since Im still pretty new to painting. Should I do the finishing sanding to the primer coat or what do I do? I know the clear red has a goood gloss to it, so I dont think clear coat will be a necessity and I cant sand the undercoat because its metallic. I do know from my tests with the spoons that the smoother the primer is the better the base coat goes down. Again, Im very new to this painting stuff and not too good at it, but I desperately want a good paint job out of this one. Advice is sincerely needed here.

Brandon.

If it were me I would get the primer as smooth as possible before I sprayed the undercoat. Then if after the undercoat's dry, if it's not gonna be smooth enough, I'd wetsand it with like a 2000 or 2500 grit paper and hit it again with basecoat. Then it should be ready to go for the color.

Corey

Brandon.

If it were me I would get the primer as smooth as possible before I sprayed the undercoat. Then if after the undercoat's dry, if it's not gonna be smooth enough, I'd wetsand it with like a 2000 or 2500 grit paper and hit it again with basecoat. Then it should be ready to go for the color.

Corey

....After you clean up the spoiler a bit more on the back end of the car....NICE SO FAR MAN!