Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you wish was available in large scale kits?

1/8 scale 1977 Smokey and the Bandit Trans am.

I've always hoped Revell would backdate the '80/'79 into a '77, but I doubt that will ever happen. It's too bad they decided to do a '79 instead of a '77, but maybe with MPC having the S&tB licensing locked up for all those years it simply was doable back then.

I know it's available from time to time on Ebay and other places, but the prices on them are outrageous and I'm not willing to pay them...north of $300. I'd like to see the Monogram '79 T/A re-popped...not the '80 Turbo T/A. I built one way back in the '80's when they came out, but unfortunately it's long gone. And, I just realized a fault in the kit. I believe it was an automatic car with the Pontiac 400....not available in that combo for that year. Automatics got the Oldsmobile 403 engine and 4-Speeds got the Pontiac 400. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I got to thinking about this thread again today.

I really, really wish someone would give us a WWII Willys Jeep in 16th scale. Like I mentioned before, there are so many versions that could be issued with the basic kit.

The kit could be issued in a vast array of military versions. While all are still basically the exact same Jeep, it could be offered with USAAF, Army, USMC or Navy versions. It could be issued as a WWII wartime Jeep, a post-war Jeep, or a Korean War Jeep. It could be issued as a kit for any Allied country that used the Jeep. Heck, they could even issue a kit "as captured by the Germans" with decal sheet as the Germans would have marked the captured vehicle.

It would also be fun to build as a postwar civilian model.

I wish that I had $500,000 to blow on a new kit...the world market would see one of the nicest new kits to hit store shelves in years.

I'd really to see Monogram repop the 1/8 Jaguar E-Type. A redo of the large scale Aurora Fuel motor would be great too.

Last year, Revell of Germany did a limited edition re-pop of the 1/8 Monogram E-Type for certain preferred European kit dealers only. No revisions as far as I know. Many of the original issues are available on eBay at somewhat reasonable prices if you lurk around (I have 5 that didn't cost me an arm and a leg. Just an arm.)

Edited by sjordan2

For the larger scale guys, my thoughts (personal opinion) are pretty basic.....

They would need to be 1/12 of course (1/16 would not fit well with my other 1/12 builds :) )...

70 1/2 Camaro (Z-28 or SS-396?) (Would require the deep front spoiler and 3-piece rear deck spoiler - aka Baldwin Motion....)

70 'Cuda (upscale the recent 1/25 from Revell)

And I for one would be more than happy for Revell to tool them up, even with the semi-simplified build option their 1/12 GT500 Shelby received..

It still gets the right points across the line, plus it is easily "super detailed" up for those who choose to. :)

Edit;

I have already shared my thoughts and hopes with the kind guys at Revell regarding the 1/12 70 1/2 Camaro. :D

Edited by stump

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1933/1934 Chev, Mopar, or Buick three window coupe would be perfect !

A proper, affordable F40.

Y'all are taking my ideas.

I'd have to learn how to do a chopped top if the 34 Chevy wasn't done already.

Edited by Toast

• 2 months later...

A number of years ago I had a 1/8th Jaguar E Type kit that was very well detailed made by I think Bandai in the 80's. Not aware of anyone else making kits from this set of tooling. Regret selling it on and not building it as I have never seen one since. Before I get a shed load of replies this kit is not a re pop of the old Monogram (now Revell) kit that was tooled up in the 60's.

Actually, the E type is such an Iconic car that a new tool in 1/12th or 1/16th would be nice with options to build it in RHD or LHD versions. Either of these would be a nice scale to super detail and not be too big.

A number of years ago I had a 1/8th Jaguar E Type kit that was very well detailed made by I think Bandai in the 80's. Not aware of anyone else making kits from this set of tooling. Regret selling it on and not building it as I have never seen one since. Before I get a shed load of replies this kit is not a re pop of the old Monogram (now Revell) kit that was tooled up in the 60's.

Actually, the E type is such an Iconic car that a new tool in 1/12th or 1/16th would be nice with options to build it in RHD or LHD versions. Either of these would be a nice scale to super detail and not be too big.

bandaixke.png

Unlike the Revell/Monogram kit, this one has an opening rear hatch. However, someone posted something a while back about the Bandai and RM kits being the same except for that feature. I don't know -- the Bandai kit is Unobtanium.

Edited by sjordan2

Revell. They were first made with normal sized tires and suspension, and later turned into monster trucks. The monster trucks are the easier ones to find, though they go for around $100 each.

They also made one off road with a dirt bike...nice kit...a friend of mine has one unbuilt still.