Model Cars Magazine Forum

In progress: 1962 Willys Jeep PU

I've finally started a model that I've been contemplating for a number of years; a replica of my uncle's '62 Jeep PU. Having recently gotten a good photo of it, I am now able to build it as I can remember it. It was a work truck, and as such it wasn't babied. So the model will depict it in all it's glory and well-worn patina, which thankfully shows pretty well in the photograph.

I started with a Liberty Classics Jeep panel truck diecast kit that I found at Big Lots. I purchased a resin All American Models PU transkit at Auto Motif; it was marked down $20 because it was missing fenders, which didn't bother me since they're pretty simple shapes to scratchbuild. I also had to find appropriate wheels/tires, the ones in the basic kit aren't much good for a work truck. I eventually found a set of five resin Jeep wheels/tires (one spare) from Hendrix.

With the photo & lots of internet reference, I'm ready to start this and try a few weathering techniques that I don't get to do very often building my normal "shiny" subject matter. I also have one of those instant rust kits that I'm dying to try out as well. This is going to be fun :D

Here's what I stared with:

JeepPU1-vi.jpg

And here it is now in it's first primer coat after making the fenders, removing some hood trim and adding chrome trim to the cab:

JeepPU2-vi.jpg

So far it's been a lot of fun; different subject matter and a completely different approach to finishing. It shouldn't take me long to pull it all together and get it done; but then again there are a lot of little details I need to scrounge up and scratchbuild.

Really a great subject , seen one that was like a wagoneer [if my mind is on track]made by Specast , I chose the '57 Dodge pickup instead , but upon getting it home it looked more like some odd 1/27 or 28th scale not the 1/25th it stated, so I never went back for Willys

Actually the base kit (panel wagon) may be a Spec Cast and not Liberty; it's been so long since I bothered to look at the box :roll: :D

I'd say it's 1/25 scale, looks right to me, and those Dodge trucks did look underscale. Art Anderson would know for sure on this one, as he did the measuring and conversion work for the resin PU.

Also, RMR is offering a similar resin kit now.

That's nice, Bob! Hey, is Auto Motif still around? I thought Milt closed it up a couple of years ago. I used to love going in that place!

Thanks!

Auto Motif closed at the end of '04; the rest of the store stock is still being sold by Milt via Ebay. I've had this resin transkit for about 5 years IIRC.

Actually the base kit (panel wagon) may be a Spec Cast and not Liberty; it's been so long since I bothered to look at the box :roll: :lol:

I'd say it's 1/25 scale, looks right to me, and those Dodge trucks did look underscale. Art Anderson would know for sure on this one, as he did the measuring and conversion work for the resin PU.

Bob,

Let's try Liberty SpecCast--that's the brand that's on the 1 or 3 Jeep panel delivery kits I have.

Biscuitbuilder

Really a great subject , seen one that was like a wagoneer [if my mind is on track]made by Specast , I chose the '57 Dodge pickup instead , but upon getting it home it looked more like some odd 1/27 or 28th scale not the 1/25th it stated, so I never went back for Willys

Too bad, 'cause the Jeep Panel is spot-on 1:25 scale!

Biscuitbuilder

Actually the base kit (panel wagon) may be a Spec Cast and not Liberty; it's been so long since I bothered to look at the box :roll: :lol:

Actually,

It's kinda funny story as to how I came up with the Jeep pickup masters:

In March of '96, as I was heading to the Toledo Toy Show on a Friday afternoon, passing through the tiny little town of Rockfield, Indiana, I spotted a Jeep pickup parked in a cow pasture on the edge of town. Making mental note of it, I drove on, and on the way back through Rockville that Sunday, I stopped along the road for a longer look.

On my way to Parsippany two weeks later, I took my camera, and a notepad (Indiana SR 25 goes from Lafayette to Logansport, where I picked up US-24 all the way to Toledo -- to go on to Parsippany, I simply hit I-80 at Toledo, then reversed the process on the way home).

Back to the pickup: I drove up to the farmhouse, and knocked on the door, answered by a young guy and his wife, who had just acquired the place from his grandfather. Getting permission to climb the gate into the pasture (and being assured that no livestock were gonna be there!!!) I walked over to the truck, and proceeded to do a full "walkaround" with my camera. Finally, after getting perhaps 20 pics of the thing (rusty, but solid), I took measuring tape in hand, and proceeded to get the dimensions I would need for the box, fenders, that sort of thing. All at once, out of the corner of my eye, there stood about 2000 lbs of black angus bull, and he didn't look at all happy to have me as a guest in HIS part of the world. I grabbed my camera from atop the front fender, and clutching camera, notepad and ballpoint, I stepped around the front of the truck, just as that bull buried his hard head (horns attached) into the passenger side door, denting it inward at least a couple of inches. Without so much as a wave goodbye, I hightailed it to the gate, up and over I went, as the critter charged after me--he must have taken a smart pill that morning, because he stopped short of the gate, with me on the other side.

Ahh, the things a model car builder will go through to get the references needed, huh?

Biscuitbuilder

Gee Art; I could have told you of a much easier (and nicer) place to get reference photos, but it would require a ride on one of America's ten most scenic highways (according to MSN Travel and I would have to agree with them)...it's in Moose Pass on the Seward Highway that goes from Anchorage to Seward AK :lol:

But of course you might have had a moose charge you, but... :lol:

DSCN5920-vi.jpg

DSCN5921-vi.jpg

DSCN5922-vi.jpg

DSCN5923-vi.jpg

DSCN5924-vi.jpg

DSCN5925-vi.jpg

DSCN5926-vi.jpg

I'm having lots of fun w/this kit; and unlike many Speccast/Liberty models, the scale looks completely accurate.

Bob , I have this old pop machine you can redo for the bed of your '62 its 2 1/8th wide x1 1/4 deep x2" high . Its from a 1/18 th scale item but I'm sure its way smaller then that, if you want it for your build its yours , let me know I'll send it out to 'ya....

IMGP0148-vi.jpg

Thanks Ken; my PU model is getting some lawn equipment for the bed. I had bought a stake bed version of the Jeep w/a lawnmower, rake, shovel, and gas can as accessories, and they're perfect for my model; that's how I remember it the last time I saw the Jeep, it was being used by my cousin to haul around yard equipment for his summer job cutting grass.