Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 1969 Chevelle Convertible

Toner283

Round 2 is reissueing the 69 Chevelle Convertible under the AMT banner!

product.jpg

Definitely looking forward to getting ahold of one of these. Hope they tool an uptop for it this go around. The original did not have one. If they dont include an uptop, maybe the one in the recently issued Cutlass? Kit can be modified to look good on the Chevelle.

Does anyone know if the tooling for the Chevelle hardtop was destroyed to repair/restore the convertible tooling? Hopefully not.

I wish that the model company websites would post large clear pictures of the parts trees like they have them displayed at the shows. It would be nice to see exactly what is in the kit beforehand. I think that this would only generate more sales. I for one am not usually willing to bet the $$ that a new kit has the parts I am looking for unless I am fairly certain it does (for a kitbash/parts kit anyway).

Chris, all of the new AMT/Round2 kit box's have the parts tree layout's on the bottom

Yeah, I know but it is a small silhouette image. It is a poor replacement for a good clear picture IMO. With the smaller parts in particular it is tough to see just what is what. I like to know and see what I am buying no matter what it is. Most of us have probably had a kit or two over the years where the box art wasn't exactly a true representation of what was actually in the box.

Since Both this Convertible & the hardtop were a part of the Countdown series,

I don't think we lost any parts from the hardtop Not already Lost in all re-issues

since the Countdown series was issued.

I bet Most chassis, engine & Interior parts are shared between both versions too!

does this kit come with an up-top ? been so long I don't remember...I know I asked this question in the other thread but as stated many times before that thread is GONE...thanx in advance.

the original kit did not come with an up top. I hope they tool one up for it but not likely.

It'll be nice to have this Chevelle convt available again, uptop or not. There are resin uptops available and the Cutlass uptop should fit the Chevelle fine. Taillights? Not a big problem, they're easily dealt with.

Nice to see another "long lost" tool being resurrected! Just think what may still be just around the Round2 corner!!

Missing thread? No big; it happens. It's been mentioned over and over, so now it's time to get over it.

Wow!!! I still have an unbuilt one from over 20 years ago. I picked up a set of tail lamps from Missing Link, and I have an up-top from Time Machine Resins, which should fit with some modifications. I was thinking about cutting up an AMT '68 El Camino for a more detailed chassis and driveline, even though an AMT '69 442 will give you a virtual drop in chassis with much more detail. I have built a few hardtops over the years, with plans to do a Malibu hardtop like a friend on mine's car(dark blue/silver rockers/blue bench seat interior/350 Automatic), as well as a SS396 post, using Shawn Carpenter's excellent transkit.

I only hope that AMT can do something with the Tail lamps, and remove the lower "Malibu" mouldings from the body.

I bought the Countdown '69 Chevelle convertible back in the '70s. Took me 20 years to finish it.

It had the '68 Chevelle windshield with the vent glass. Also seems like it had Firestone 500 tires, but they are gone now. The trim on the side is all wrong for a SS, so you have to remove it and add wheel opening trim using Evergreen styrene. It had bad tail lights and the wrong side marker lights.

Since then, I have gotten several '69 Chevelle hardtops from the '80s to' 90s or so. Same basic kit. Funny looking at the chrome tree, it seems parts disappear and something new appears. They must have revised the emblems or something as my three hardtops have slightly different looks. If you buy AMT '65 Elcaminos from annual release to the latest release, you will see what I mean; has 327 emblem, no emblem and then a different 327 emblem.

I have bought several Modelhaus '69 Chevelle rear bumpers and red tail lights. Not too expensive.

All in all, the Chevelle vert will be very welcome. I will by several, one may be a "68 Chevelle vert.

• 3 weeks later...

I scratch built the vent windows which came on the 68s. They were eliminated in 69. The rally wheels came from Revell's 69 z-28 kit. If memory serves me right the corner marker lights are correct for 68 cars. Amt did not update the tooling when they made it into a 69.