Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Camaro

karbuildr

• 4 months later...

Nice and clean model! Did that turn out to be a '67, or is it indeed a '68? I've tried to find a '68 kit around, but have not been successful. One of my buddies in high school had a '68 with large fender flares that was just beautiful. That's going to be my next project if I can find a '68 body. :blink:

Very nice camaro! Just enough detailing to make it stand out. Paint detailing on the engine bay is excellent!

From your location, I'm guessing that your Camaro came from the Hobby Stop off of exit 77 on I-77?

Though I'm in Iowa now, I was born & raised in Gastonia NC, worked in Rock Hill many years ago, & spent a lot of time at that hobby shop! :lol:

:)

Actually Mark, my wife and I moved up here from Florida 3 years ago, so this kit came with us from S.Fl. About the only thing I can get at the Hobby Stop is a few cans of Tamiya Lacquer, and once in a great while a kit. They don't stock a whole lot for us model car guys, it's mostly R/C, and usually they get the latest kits 6 months or more after they are released. I mostly have to mail order kits and supplies these days, since there's no decent hobby shop close by us.

I was aware this kit was a sort of hybrid, but I call the finished model a 68.

I hate to hear the Hobby Stop has gone so hard core RC! ;) Back when I shopped there, they had a decent selection of kits & a pretty good aftermarket section too, along with their RC stuff. I can remember when they had one entire aisle, (both sides of it too), just dedicated to car kits, from 1/24-1/25 to 1/6 scale. I still have some aftermarket goodies I've bought there over the years & I'm sure a few unbuilt kits from there as well.

Though it's a bit of a drive for you, try John's Toy & Hobby Shop in my hometown of Gastonia NC. Glen Harris is the manager & is a great guy, that will order anything for you that he doesn't carry, that he can get. It's on South Hew Hope Road in Gastonia, & the phone number & exact address can be found online. From Rock Hill you can take Hwy 274 right into Gastonia, or you can go up I-77 into Charlotte & get to Gastonia from there. Map Quest or the like will help a lot.

I know there are still some hobby shops in Charlotte, (as well as a couple of Hobbytown USA's, one is near Pineville IIRC), but I can't recall where they are. The best car modeler's hobby shops in Charlotte, Flashbacks Automobilia & Deb's Model Car Emporium both closed several years ago, (2001-2002 & mid 90's respectively).

I highly recommend checking John's out. There's also a Hobby Lobby in Gastonia, at Akers Center, if there's not one in Rock Hill. I used to work at the Gastonia one, & the last I heard from someone that lives there is they expanded their model section a year or so ago.

:lol:

Mark, I was at the Hobby Stop maybe 3 months ago. I got one kit and a couple cans of Tamiya TS-13 clear. The cans had a nice layer of dust on them, so I know they'd been there a while. All the kits had been there since the last time I went there (6 months), except for the Revell 69 Camaro snap kit which I bought. They have only one small section for plastic model cars now, BMF is old stuff, and I saw no aftermarket parts anywhere. When I asked about decals and aftermarket stuff, they looked at me as though I had 2 heads on my shoulders. Maybe ownership changed hands. It's basically all R/C now. Someone else mentioned John's Toy & Hobby, but I don't get to Gastonia often. It's easier just to mail order instead of driving all over. I appreciate the heads up about John's though.