Model Cars Magazine Forum

collage ! yay

clavender17

A great choice! My niece by marriage is a high school nurse and she saved a female student's life two weeks ago after the student collapsed and her heart stopped. Your career could make a difference to someone and their family in the future. Study hard!

Edited by Miatatom

I am - not that kind though (I'm on the wildland side).

I work with a lot of structure guys - around here it's a good job once you get in - you just have to put some time in volunteering. Not a bad thing, though, as it gives you great opportunity to learn the skills of the job and network with potential employers.

well fellas i guess iv made the choice ...im getin EMT certified then fire fighter 1&2 and paramedic hopefually start classes this summer !!! :) gimme your imputs !?!?! any fire fighters here on mcm ???

EMT/Paramedic/firefighter is a safe, stable career that will give you a lifetime of satisfaction. I have several friends in both fields and they LOVE their work.

A great choice! My niece by marriage is a high school nurse and she saved a female student's life two weeks ago after she collapsed and her heart stopped. Your career could make a difference to someone and their family in the future. Study hard!

Agreed.

Good luck to you, Chris. Remember, in public service, the public must always come first.

Charlie Larkin

It's a very good career choice. I'm not a firefighter or EMT, but I wish I would have got in when I was younger. Your job can't be outsourced, BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH will always be on fire somewhere, and all these baby boomers will need a lift to the hospital at some point. and you'll have a ton of funny stories for your drinkin' buddies LOL

Study hard and god speed to ya

A hosedragger huh?

Well good for you son, I for one wanted nothing to do with that. I'm a chicken, fire scares me.

The closest I ever got was my tour in Bomb and Arson. That convinced me I made the right choice in my chosen profession.

Oldest son spent 10 years as a FF/EMT after the Navy and ODS. He's a cop now going on 10 years.

Middle son is a NICU nurse. My hats off to him. I could not stand seeing all those critically ill infants every day. Breaks my heart just thinking of that.

The baby, my only girl, is in her second semester of nursing school. She wants Labor and Delivery.

We are a child friendly family for sure!

G

I did the EMT / Paramedic thing and have worked for structure departments, but wildland fire turned out to be my preference. I'm an engine captain for the US Forest Service, but since I also really like playing on the structure fire side of things too, I recently became a volunteer firefighter in the city I live in.

It has its ups and downs, but overall it is a great career.

Been there, done that.

I'll be truthful.

It is a very rewarding job if you really like it. (doesn't take long to find out)

But it can be a very stressful trying job at times.

You deal with a lot of tragedy in other peoples lives and you have to be able to separate yourself from their pain and feeling of loss.

Not as easy as it sounds. But you do not want to harden your heart either. because you have to have compassion when dealing with most situations.

I left because I did let it get to me, the kids are what made it so hard

Wish you all the best! B) .