Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Visible V8

Ace-Garageguy

Okay, I know the latest version of the 1/4 scale visible V8 doesn't have the light-up plugs or electric motor like the Renwal edition did, but does anyone know if the tooling is the same as the Renwal original, or is it entirely different ? What I've found so far seems to imply the Revell version from 1975 and later is the Renwal tooling with some things deleted. Anyone know for sure ??

Anyone know if the distributor drive gears are still in the kit ?

The neighbor's grandson is going to vo-tech for 'aotomotive-technician' and they haven't taught the class basic internal combustion operation yet, which I thought was pretty strange. One of these engines should be required for the course.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

http://ia600501.us.archive.org/13/items/Revell_Visible_V8/RevellVisibleV8.pdf

Haven't bothered with the hand-crank version, but I can tell you the Revell kit from '75 had all the Renwal features, and it stayed that way up till Revell dumbed it down. Judging from pics and the assembly manual posted on line, I am just about positive that it is the Renwal kit bereft of the electrical features.

I was pretty surprised to see from the instructions, though, that the distributor drive isn't acknowledged. I'd have guessed it'd be cheaper to leave the parts on the trees even if they aren't delivering actual current, but I can't verify that for you.

The Testors 1:4 Hemi also delivers pretty much everything the Revell kit now demonstrates, and it's motorized, fwiw.

I was bummed out that it wasn't motorized . wanted to recreate my childhood experiment of the effects of more power to the little electric motor. 8 D-cell batteries connected to the motor broke more plastic :P

Yes blew up my first engine at ten years old. A plastic one but still and engine

Michael

The distributor drive gears, shaft, and the rotor are not present in the recent issue. The starter drive and the original trand hosing are also not present, replcaced with the hand crank parts. Otherwise, the balance of the parts appear to be the same as the older issue, and the parts should interchange. That's what I have in mind for mine. I had one when I was a kid, and like Micheal, I managed to blow mine up, too. I still have it, and plan to scavenge the needed parts to swap in to the newer issue kit, with the exeption of using leds for the "spark plugs" instead of the little red incandecent lamps that came with it.

I built one of the older Revell issues.

I need to replace the rocker push rods because they keep falling into the block.

I have 2 more parts kits I can combine to build another.

I too do not like the hand crank on the last issues.

That one I built was a complete unstarted I found at a yard sale 6-7 years ago for $5.oo!!!!

That 3 foot long box comes in handy for storing the 3 1/32 scale Fire trucks I have been working one!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Speaking of Renwall engine kits, my high school auto shop teacher had one of their slant six models sitting in pieces on his bookshelf. I offered to put it back together for him and he let me. Now, thirty-odd years later I'm wishing I'd asked him for it after seeing what guys are paying for them now. And how many of you guys have seen the giant chassis kit that fits around the visible v8 or seen what kind of price guys are getting for them?

mike

i am impressed you guys got them to actually run with that electric motor. i built one when i was a kid, actually built it then rebuilt it a couple years later and i never COULD get it smooth enough inside to actually turn over before something went cockeyed and jammed up. i remember how disappointed i was the first time i built it and i had been building models for a couple years by that point. then i tore it all back apart and tried to tighen things up but i was pretty young and brass tubing was pretty intimidating so it didnt work any better the second time around. i think ultimately I or some "we" poured glue on it and lit it on fire. that showed it who was boss.

I have a mint electric motored one in my closet at my parents house. My Dad and I built it many years ago. It worked perfect at the time.

I'll have to go dig out this weekend and put batteries in it and see what happens.

I have the Testors Hemi as well, never built it, still in the box. Can those still be found reasonably priced? I'd like to get another one to actually build and keep the other one NIB.

I have the Testors Hemi as well, never built it, still in the box. Can those still be found reasonably priced? I'd like to get another one to actually build and keep the other one NIB.

Checked Ebay myself and answered my question. Crazy prices on those now.

• 1 year later...

I wish Revell would restore the old Renwall Visible V-8 back to its former glory. Back with the electric motor and lighting spark plugs. There are a lot of us out there with fond memories of the kit in that form. Revell ruined it by simplifying it.

By the way, several of us in the Model Car Club of Minnesota (MCCM) ageed that the old Renwall V-8 most closely reassembled the old real full-size Studebaker V-8. Everything but location of the generator matches the look of the 1951 Studebaker designed V-8. Curious if others out there agree.

R. Scott

Studebaker V-8

Interesting observation. Reading various threads about this kit you run across all sorts of people thinking it's a Chevy. :blink:

Next up are the V-8s in the Lindberg 1/8th scale 2 in 1 dragster kit, "Exterminator" :o Also often mislabeled as Chevrolet. ^_^$_57.JPG

Edited by Greg Myers

• 3 weeks later...

I wish Revell would restore the old Renwall Visible V-8 back to its former glory. Back with the electric motor and lighting spark plugs. There are a lot of us out there with fond memories of the kit in that form. Revell ruined it by simplifying it.

By the way, several of us in the Model Car Club of Minnesota (MCCM) ageed that the old Renwall V-8 most closely reassembled the old real full-size Studebaker V-8. Everything but location of the generator matches the look of the 1951 Studebaker designed V-8. Curious if others out there agree.

R. Scott

I agree it seems most similar to the old Stude v-8.

I'm thinking the Revell engine is generic. Didn't they intend for it to go in the Visible Chassis? I don't know if they are the same scale, but that is what someone told me. I think the chassis was designed from Buick prints.

The Renwal Visible V8 chassis is definetly not Buick. It's been a long time since I've last seen the Visible V8 chassis, and I've never owned one. But, from what I remember that chassis had leaf springs in the rear. Starting in 1938, until Buick introduced their Nova clone the Apollo in the spring of '73, all Buicks had coil springs in the rear. For that reason alone it can't be Buick.

The Renwal chassis may be based on Studebaker also. The "X" frame set up looks similar to what's found on both the Lark convertibles and the Avantis. The leaf springs would match Studebaker's set up also.

From having the original Renwal Visible V8 engine, I'm sure that other than the location of the generator, it's based on the Studebaker V8. I'd need to see the Renwal chassis in real life to see what how it compears to Studebaker's or others chassis.

Scott Aho

Sorry to say, I need to amend my latest posting here. Right away looking at photos of Renwal's Visible chassis I made one big mistake in my above comments. The Renwal chassis has no "X" member to the frame. Shows how poorly ones memory can can be. A quick look at photos, I can not tell what the chassis is based on. But, my memory of the leaf springs are correct. So it is not Buick.

Scott Aho

• 1 year later...

I sell parts for either the Renwal or the Revell Visible V-8 engine on Ebay. I have replacement motors (both types) replacement light bulbs (not LED) and hardware sets currently listed. I also have many of the plastic parts, but not all.
I do not have many of the electrical parts left.  My Ebay handle is the same (davidm750)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haynes-Build-Your-Own-V8-Model-Combustion-Engine-/271990828257

Haynes-Build-Your-Own-V8-Model-Combustion-Engine

Guys, go with the times. The bumpy sticks are now whirring around in the cylinder heads and are driven by rubber bands.
Comes with all the electrickery, so we can blow it up like we did whilomly with our Renwals that long time ago when even we were young.

Oh, and Scotty Kilmer didn't get it to run, haha.

Edited by Junkman